Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: What is the specific brand and model hat worn by James Stewart?

Boolit Master

What is the specific brand and model hat worn by James Stewart?

I have several western motion pictures starring James Stewart from "Winchester 73" through "The Rare Breed." These were all made in the early-to-mid 1950s except for "The Rare Breed" in 1966. Stewart appears to be wearing the same hat in all of them. Considering it took much hard use, I'm interested in identifying it.

What is the hat's brand and model?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Artful beat me to it.

Almost all leading actors chose their own wardrobe in westerns and carried the same styles throughout their careers, from John Wayne to Glenn Ford, Tom Selleck and many others. Although I'm not into fashion (I mean, really ) it's actually fun for me to watch actors as they progress through their careers preserving the same style on which they settled at an earlier stage.
    Ready, fire, AIM!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A good Jimmy Stewart story;

An old friend of mine, Malcolm Alexander did the statue of Jimmy for his home town. Malcolm called Jimmy several times asking him questions, and asking for photographs of different angles.
    Malcolm was working in his studio shortly thereafter, and a car drove up and stopped. A tall man got out, got a suitcase from the back of his car, and knocked on the door.
    Malcolm answered the door, and Jimmy said, I came so you could look at me.
    He stayed for four days.

http://www.people.com/people/archive...085197,00.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	824 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	135665
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

A real American, that one.. Always been a big fan.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance

Anybody remember the night Jimmy Stewart was on the "Johnny Carson Show" and read a poem he had written about a dog named "Bo"?Robert

Boolit Master
    Stewart Granger's real name was James Lablance Stewart. When he moved to Hollywood they told him he would have to change his name because they already had a James Stewart.

His Oscar was on display in the shop window of his parents store in his home town. Not your typical "vanity wall" display expected of a famous person. His service record is one that lasted through his retirement during the Reagan presidency. He flew combat missions in Europe even after rank and duty assignment would have allowed him not to. Essentially assigning himself to combat missions. He flew as an observer in at least one Viet Nam mission, without publicity or fan fare.

Don't think the man ever made a movie I did not like.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A little more on his military career.

"Having learned to fly in 1935, he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1940 as a private (after twice failing the medical for being underweight). During the course of World War II he rose to the rank of colonel, first as an instructor at home in the United States, and later on combat missions in Europe. He remained involved with the U.S. Air Force Reserve after the war and retired in 1959 as a brigadier general."

Need we say more about a REAL HERO.

RIP SIR
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Never mind his hat, we need more people that can fill his boots eh?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

There were quite a few movie folks that volunteered at the outbreak of WW2 and also ball players as well.

And lets not forget the man born in England of English parents who spent countless CHRISTMASES entertaining the troops around the world.

BOB HOPE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    A little more on his military career.

"Having learned to fly in 1935, he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1940 as a private (after twice failing the medical for being underweight). During the course of World War II he rose to the rank of colonel, first as an instructor at home in the United States, and later on combat missions in Europe. He remained involved with the U.S. Air Force Reserve after the war and retired in 1959 as a brigadier general."

Need we say more about a REAL HERO.

RIP SIR

Not to disagree Sir, but I think your quote was not quite correct.

Stewart made Brigadier in 1959, but did not retire until 1968. In fact, he flew a few combat missions over Vietnam in B-52's. Reagan put him on the Major General list on retirement.

And I agree, a REAL HERO

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
    Not to disagree Sir, but I think your quote was not quite correct.

Stewart made Brigadier in 1959, but did not retire until 1968. In fact, he flew a few combat missions over Vietnam in B-52's. Reagan put him on the Major General list on retirement.

And I agree, a REAL HERO

wp
    Sorry for the mistake.

I just copied that from his biography located here.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....-u-s-military/

Boolit Buddy
    No problem. I never believe anything I read and only half of what I see.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master

Never mind his hat, we need more people that can fill his boots eh?
    Now that brought me to the keyboard, One heck of a statement
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

Anyone notice any difference between today's so-called celebrities and Stewart, Audie Murphy, and many others of the same era? Just a little bit maybe?

Of course that last part was pure sarcasm!

Boolit Bub
    Knudsen Hat Co. at GOLDEN GATE WESTERN WEAR . . . my family has six of the " Major's" hats and my sass shooting pard has two. Great hats and a great gentleman to work with. We are lucking in that we live about 45 minutes away from his shop !!

Sarge
    Sgt. Red Leg
    NRA Benefactor #17260151
    SASS Life #5906
    R.A.T.S. #381
    G.A.F. #685
    Ruger Collector #9142
    M1 Garand Collecter #21959
    California Rifle & Pistol Association Life #16436

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Stewart Was in the 2nd Air Division of the Mighty Eight, the 445th Bomb group heavy a B24 outfit, based at Tibbenham East Anglia.

As a pilot he flew over 25 missions before he was threatened by his superiors of being busted in rank, none of the mission were "milk runs" as were the ones some of his fellow actors. He was a "100 percent" a regular Joe and treated all fairly.

Of course a Stetson would not have been tolerated, it wouldn't fit under a p*** pot.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife