Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag

Banned

44 mag

Bought a new Ruger Super Blackhawk last fall. Now that the snow, ice and all that is gone I have been ringing it out. Have shot about a 1000 rounds thru it and guess what? Elmer Keiths load of 22 gr of 2400 and a square groove hard cast 250 grain bullet sized at .430 is a clear winner. You'd think after my playing with 8 mags and more than 20 k of rounds I would learn

Perma-Banned

Even a blind hog will find and acorn every now and then.

Enjoy it...great gun.

Boolit Buddy
    " If it ain't broke.........."

Banned
    I hear ya, same thing with my first one in 1977 and all the others. Jacketed, other cast bullets, other powders, same results. I am one and done with the tinkering. Load up all the brass and call it good.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding Load!

What's broke is the supply of 2400. 2 years since I found any. Thought I was done tinkering but now it's whatever I can find.

My only disagreement, Elmer thought his bullets should be .429, I think another thou or two just helps the gas seal.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

My favorite was the 429421 back in 56 with the same load.
    Another was the 358156 HP in the .357 with 2400. That one bulged a chucks eyeballs!
    However the GG stuff meant nothing, just the size and hardness was first.

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot 22g of 2400 back in the 60's, 70's and 80's when my hands and wrists were younger! Now when I want to shoot 2400, I use 18g and the 429421 for 1125fps and good groups. That's enuf velocity to kill anything I'll ever shoot and much easier on the hands, wrists and gun.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Banned

We get old my friend, shake like a rattler too. But memories will never go away.
    Damned I am old! Where did the years go?

I used to rattle my fillings with the 22 grain load in a SBH, but now I prefer the 18 grain load for fun, plinking, and training children, 20 grains for deer hunting and that's a plenty. The 7 1/2 inch Redhawk tames all of them nicely, but I don't enjoy getting shoved around as much as I used to.

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Banned

it is strange with me loving larger like the .475 and .500 JRH because of deer hunting. Now any .44 load is like a bump in the night. Have to make sure the .44 went off. I used to think it was all you could take but now it is a toy. To reduce the .44 is not in my book. i am 77 years old and prefer to shoot the JRH over any gun. I would still shoot 22 gr of 2400 with the Keith. Elmer was tough and so am I. i will never wimp out.

Boolit Master

Marked as a future reference.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    it is strange with me loving larger like the .475 and .500 JRH because of deer hunting. Now any .44 load is like a bump in the night. Have to make sure the .44 went off. I used to think it was all you could take but now it is a toy. To reduce the .44 is not in my book. i am 77 years old and prefer to shoot the JRH over any gun. I would still shoot 22 gr of 2400 with the Keith. Elmer was tough and so am I. i will never wimp out.
    You've never been to Sensitivity Training have you?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned

NO, buy a .44 maq and look for 800 fps loads is so stupid and why did you buy the gun? More posts looking for light loads then anything for big bores. Sorry does not work. Would you ever see me look for a Unique load in a .500? Do not buy the gun if you are afraid. Red dot in a 30-30 that has no recoil with the hardest load ever! Pee in the cat box, momma will clean it.

I agree with 44man. The only way to learn to deal with recoil is shoot guns that recoil. I love my 44mags, any flavor, any bbl length. I don't feed them max loads all the time anymore, just beats the poop out of the gun & shooter, but take a little off the top, both of us last a bit longer. I don't think any of my guns have seen a load much under 1000fps & that was in my 3".
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    NO, buy a .44 maq and look for 800 fps loads is so stupid and why did you buy the gun? More posts looking for light loads then anything for big bores. Sorry does not work. Would you ever see me look for a Unique load in a .500? Do not buy the gun if you are afraid. Red dot in a 30-30 that has no recoil with the hardest load ever! Pee in the cat box, momma will clean it.
    I don't think its that people are afraid. I'm a recoil junky, and even I like to shoot light loads occasionally. Its easier to go through 100 light 44 mags loads than 100 full powered loads. The light loads are slightly cheaper too.

On top of that, if your shooting at paper, does that extra power really do anything?

There is nothing wrong with shooting light loads in a magnum.

Boolit Master
    with all this talk about recoil and the 44 I just have to brag on my baby girl. We went shooting today and she shot my 44 magnum with 310 lee casts at abt 1100 feet per out of my virginian dragon. It was wearing on her bythe end on
    the second cylinder.but she took it all instride.she is 5 foot 4 and weighs 120 pounds. If she can handle it I suppose anybody should be able to

Super Moderator

My "plinking" load of 18.5 2400 gets me to 1430 fps in my contender with the 429421. Pleasant to shoot and accurate. Not much it won't go right through and through.

Banned
    My use off a 44 mag is to shoot stuff with a heartbeat. That said in my opinion the best way to master the obnoxious things is to practice a lot with them and shoot them to their potential. If I want to plink around in the back yard it would be one of my last choices. My choice for that would be my Smiths in 38 and 44 spl or a few 45acp's. My post was simply about my trying to reinvent the wheel when Elmer got it right and I was not smart enough to except it. After about 50 years of shooting and loading I might be getting smarter Russ

Perma-Banned

Oh, I wish I could find some 2400

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    with all this talk about recoil and the 44 I just have to brag on my baby girl. We went shooting today and she shot my 44 magnum with 310 lee casts at abt 1100 feet per out of my virginian dragon. It was wearing on her bythe end on
    the second cylinder.but she took it all instride.she is 5 foot 4 and weighs 120 pounds. If she can handle it I suppose anybody should be able to
    I remember the day Carol shot my .44. I did have light loads for her but then stuck the 22 gr loads in and I asked her what she felt. She said some were louder then others.
    I have had ladies shoot .500's here.
    You better watch out, the girls can show what a wimp you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast