Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Pedersoli Double Rifle caliber .72

Boolit Grand Master

Pedersoli Double Rifle caliber .72

Good evening
    Anyone shooting a Pedersoli Double Rifle in .72 caliber? Or maybe you had one ? Looking for load info. Will be using RB and either 2F or 3F Goex.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I have one of the ones sold by Trail Guns Armory. Perhaps I got lucky, but it sure is a good shooter and is regulated quite well. Normal load is a .715" ball usually cast from wheelweights, pillow ticking patch, and 150gr. FFg.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning Nobade
    Thank you for that information. I have it written down on my "load sheet" I am starting.
    I have fired 135 grains 2F in my Fox B double 12 that I reamed the chokes down to .003 for RB. That got my attention in that light double. Drove a .685 RB (in a wad) to 1535 FPS if I remember my Crony readout. But it was good to only 60 yards max.
    Been waiting and looking numerous years to come up with a double rifle barrel in 12 bore.
    Mike in Peru
    Last edited by missionary5155; 04-02-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Sounds like you're on the right track. I really didn't see a whole lot of difference between 135 and 150 gr, except the accuracy improved slightly and the trajectory flattened out.

One nice thing about this rifle is it will shoot well with hardened balls. Even water quenched wheelweights work OK, and the penetration is impressive.

I agree, I would like to own a 7 - 8 lb 20 bore double rifle as well. It really would make more sense than the 12 bore, for any normal hunting. That 12 is a heavy thing to go carrying around. I have never shot it at game, but would imagine it would do a number on an elk though.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Sounds like you guys are looking for elephants. A three dram load with the 1&1/4 ounce ball would be 82 grains of 1F which is what a 12 bore shotgun would use. I can imagine the the recoil would be up there with a 150 grain load.

Perma-Banned

Hey Mike, on a side note I just picked up one of the Pedersoli shotgun muzzleloaders. It is a really nice gun. I can not wait to show those squirrels who is the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Been waiting and looking numerous years to come up with a double rifle barrel in 20 bore.
    Mike in Peru

I've been debating with myself, whether or not to ream out any choke & add sights to my 20ga Sear-branded Steven 311.

My thoughts have been running: "A 20ga M-311 SxS is a very desireable gun, but since it's the Sears version, is it as desireable - or should I convert it............

Boolit Grand Master

Howdy Pietro
    I did mine figuring "if" it never worked out I could get screw in chokes done. Found out I could get more barrels for the Fox B for around $100 if I looked hard enough. Have 4 barrel sets now all ready fitted. Screw in chokes, an original 30 inch set, a 26 inch set with screw in chokes and the reamed to .003. Pretty well covers any need I can think of.
    Just never found anyone who could rifle a set of 12 guage barrels.
    Mike in Peru

Boolit Bub
    Would a .715 round ball be to small for a 75 cal (.732) Pederasolli (Brown Bess) have been looking for some moulds and some members have offered smaller dia moulds than what pederasolli recomends.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post

Just never found anyone who could rifle a set of 12 guage barrels.
    Mike in Peru

Mike - IIRC, a European shotgun maker (EAA/Baikal ?) used to make full-length .45-70 barrel inserts that fit a 12 ga shot barrel.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/03843

Boolit Master
    Mike; that sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it works out. I've been eye-balling the Pedersoli double rifles for some time. I've also read mixed reviews on their regulation. One guy said he regulated his by using very different loads for the two barrels - different projectiles even. With those hot loads, make sure that one load is not dislodged at all by the recoil of the other.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings Bad Andy
    All you need to do is thick patch your ball up to fit. I have shot caliber .58 balls in my .69's and so forth. You do not need a tight fit. Snug is plenty. A 40-1 ball will swage out to the "snug tight" fit that will shoot fine. Up to now my largest rifled barrel was caliber .58 and .50 balls with the right patch shoot well. Too small a ball and no patch is futile even in a smoth bore.
    Naturally the best accuracy will be with a proper size ball. Thick patching will not win matches but under 50 yards I doubt any corn cruncher will notice. You will need to try combinations but once you have the right thickness and keep the ball centered on the patch it will shoot well.
    Mike in Peru

Thanks Mike, I figured as much.