Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .35 Rem. for dangerous game?

Boolit Master

.35 Rem. for dangerous game?

I'd like to have a Guide Gun in 45-70 but probably won't any time soon. I do have a single shot 45-70 and .444 but want some follow-ups in case things get tight. My most likely dangerous game encounter requiring a heavy hitter would be an exceptional Black Bear with an attitude problem. Not likely but possible where I go. I don't bait bears here, but go into the cover where they eat berries. Question; have you used the old .35 Remington on the big boys and what worked best? I'm currently following Ranch Dog's program for this cartridge and gun (336). Been there done that? Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    interesting

my guess Id imagine you could yet the load might be the tough thing to figure out.

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog and 336 sounds right to me ,my 35 does the job with the 200g RCBS FN but my 1st choice is always my Mathews bow.More fun!

Boolit Buddy
    You will be a lot better off with a 45-70 shooting a 480 grain FN bullet at 1250 fps. BTDT. It is a HAMMER.

Boolit Master

Sorry , Black bear no matter how rarely rate as dangerous game. My wife chases them up to 400 pounds off her bird feeders with a broom. I have never seen a black bear a 35 Remington could not handle.

More peaple die from worrying about bear attacks then bear attacks! So use the 35 and live happy. Clint

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Being able to shoot accurately is more important. I wander around here in griz country with some pretty wimpy pop guns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    .35 Rem is plenty for black bears.

Boolit Master

I flattened a very large warthog with a marlin 336 in 35 Remington in South Africa in 2012. I hit him through the shoulders at 65 yards with a Ranch Dog boolit. Sounded like a homerun hit with a baseball bat. He did one forward flip and kicked a couple times and that was it for him. That's my experience with it on tough stuff.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master

It has been a few years back but once upon a time if you were going to be guided in Canada for black bear the most common recommended cartridge was the .35 Remington with the 250 grain bullet.

I correct myself, it is a 200 grain bullet.
    Last edited by Reg; 04-01-2015 at 05:45 PM.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    According to Barnes "The Modern Hunting Rifle" my favorite book to read since I knew anything about rifles

" The Iron sighted .35 Remington cartridge in a Marlin 336 Rifle ( note he did not say 20" carbine) with a Remington 200 grain core lokt Bullet will handle any big game animal in North America with a well placed shot"
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I've lived in black bear country in BC and Alberta. You are good-to-go with a 35 Remington. Brian

Boolit Master
    I recently acquired a 336 Marlin in .35 Rem.

I have not had any run ins with a critter much less had the opportunity to try the .35 on it.

However, I bought my rifle in the cartridge you are considering for close range cougars and a chance bad encounter with a black bear.

What I can tell you is that the .35 Rem is sufficiently accurate and makes a decent sized hole ........ and thus I am content with my choice for now.

Later, if grizzlies are a problem, I can always move up to the .45-70 in a Marlin with stiff loads. In the meantime, the .35 will give me a platform to train with much like lesser revolver rounds create a ladder effect towards mastering large bore handguns.

The .35 might also be of interest to my wife by then.

Best regards

Three 44s

Banned
    i used a 308 win m760. i shot a bear at 20 yards and it went about 10feet. i was using a 150gr hornady round nose. the bear wieghed 396 lbs and the skull i still have.

a 35 rem should work, esp. with ranch dogs.

Boolit Grand Master

OK for black bear, anything bigger or more dangerous, you need more rifle IMO!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Shirt View Post
    OK for black bear, anything bigger or more dangerous, you need more rifle IMO!
    1Shirt!
    does a 444 marlin in a tc encore with a 23" mgm barrel work?

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    does a 444 marlin in a tc encore with a 23" mgm barrel work?
    Myself, for self protection I would rather have a repeater. With the really big guys you just might want the last one for yourself.

Banned
    if they get that big, i'm staying home.

Boolit Grand Master

plenty of gun
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Plus, in newer stronger guns the .35 Rem could be loaded up quite a bit from the industry standard loads and done safely. A ,357 max easily pushes 2000 fps. with a 200 grain boolit. That's at magnum pistol pressures (I don't load them to 50,000 psi). At the same pressures, the bigger case of the .35 Rem. should get quite a bit higher velocities.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast