RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Show & Tell yer 19th century single shots ~ replicas or real deal ...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    Attachment 136408John Boy, is 3 in the USA in 9.5 x 47R only by your maker or 3 all makers together? Here is my FW Kessler, 9.5 x 47R. No proofs so I assume that is pre 1891? My rifle is not nearly as good of condition as yours.
    If that is German made it is prior April 1, 1892. Proof law effective, as I have been told.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Ive got a custom Borchardt that I haven't shot much at all. It is a full Helm Schuetzen get up that I build (with lots of help). Can't say it is my favorite rifle and I haven't shot it in years but one day...

I don't know who's this rifle belongs to or where I found it, but I sure like it.

Boolit Master
    So, Kurt, where have you been hiding that little jem? And... Let's hear about it.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe that's one of the rifles that The ASSRA raffled off in 2003. All work and hardware done by donations.

http://www.assra.com/march_2003_feature.htm

Brent

When I saw that rifle on the net I made a picture of it and hung it on the wall down in my mole den thinking; some day!!

Boolit Master
    It is a nice one. hard to tell if it has had the sear engagement modification but the tang sight looks like it was done right. You should start building one now! Not getting any younger you know.

Heck, I still have at least 25 years left to shoot these heavy bucking rifles.

I have been watching the Auction Houses for a nice one.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, but it might take 20 of them to get that rifle built! Get going! Besides I always like to see friends show up with fancy new rifles for show and tell....

Well I will bring my .45-70 Girly parlor gun to Lodi this year.

Boolit Master
    bout time you broke down and brought a good steady caliber instead of one of those crazy numbers.

In the end, all that matters is the points you put on the board (and having fun of course, but that's a given). That gun can do it, I have no doubt.

What sort of bullets?

Boolit Master
    Old-Win those are some spectacular looking rifles.

We don't see many Borchardt rifles up here at all. I have one that I bought last year but haven't shot it much at all yet. It was an original sporter in .45-70 that was reconfigured as a long range rifle by Curt Hardcastle. It has a heavy round barrel and is chambered in .45-90. It recoils like a .40 cal. I wasn't intending to buy it, I was just visiting Steve Rhoades web site and got sucked in by the beauty of the thing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Borchardt_small.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	137077

Chris.
    Last edited by Gunlaker; 04-16-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Brent
    I have a bunch of your prolates cast, but I haven't shot any in the .45-70 yet. Either the prolate of the swaged Gibbs most likely. The Gibbs really shoots well in this rifle for my Daughter.

Right now I'm getting ready for Milan and I will use the .45-70 for the 200-300 and 600 midrange and for a change I will use the lowly flat nosed with the many speed bumps on it's side, the parker hail bullet.

Here is my 19'th century shooter I really like. Steve Losey build this rifle.
    It is a reproduction of a steel mounted Southern Mountain rifle to resemble the ones that J. Henry was building for trade with the American Fur Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Win View Post
    Here's a few of mine.

Super nice job on the W.R.!
    I just got an 1881 match rifle yesterday.

Boolit Master
    I love that flintlock!

this is my #1 deer killer. I built this many years ago. It still gets the job done.

9.5x52

Boolit Buddy
    Gunlaker,
    I saw pictures of that Borchardt and it looks nice. Kurt does beautiful work. Just got back from the range with mine to do some load work and tune-up for Lodi.
    Huvius,
    Nice find but we need to see some pictures.
    Bob

Boolit Master
    Kurt that is some parlor gun . All of my parkour guns shoot much smaller bullets. Is it chambered with one of your paper patch reamers?

Chris.

Brent.

I Have tried wire inlay on wood blocks. I wanted to use it with the few rifles I build, but never felt like I could trust it to stay put.
    I'm not much for the fancy trimmings on rifles or brass. I like the iron furniture that looks like it was hand forged. Don't get me wrong, I like craftsmanship and nice wood, but it's really not me. I like the plain what I call working rifles.

What got my attention of this rifle was the classic Ketland lock that has the plate reworked and all the steel mountings where hand forged and a decent curly maple stock. The butplate and trigger guard where put together with copper rivets. The barrel is a .54 cal 42" swamped Rice Barrel that holds solid and shoots straight with the sights centered.
    The lock is tuned perfect. It throws white sparks and it has a very fast ignition. It's every bid as fast as the cap Hawken I build.