Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Effect of Copper in Lead?

Boolit Bub

Effect of Copper in Lead?

I've been playing around with the lead alloy calculator spreadsheet, but it doesn't seem to account for copper in the hardness calcs. My questions are:

1. How much does copper harden lead (% vs BHN)?
    2. What percentage of copper is required to notice a change in properties?
    3. Do you think there is a benefit to using it for handgun hollowpoints (10mm, 357 mag, etc)?

I may try copper alloys in handgun boolits anyways, but I'd like to know what to expect when tinkering: should I start with 0.5%, 2%, etc?

Thanks,
    -Ben

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-this-further

This thread answer a lot of your questions. I think you are wasting your time on pistol boolits unless you are thinking of hunting bear with a 44 mag.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    With copper, think "toughness", not "hardness". One quarter of one percent is in the sweet spot,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...enriched-alloy

I found that using the search function. There's more!

Boolit Grand Master
    I run somewhere around .18% in a WW blend for my pistols. Overkill, maybe, but sometimes I use the same alloy for rifle boolits <2200fps

Boolit Bub
    With copper, think "toughness", not "hardness". One quarter of one percent is in the sweet spot,,,,,,,
    So there's no appreciable increase in hardness with copper? Sounds like it performs a similar function as tin, not so much hardness as toughness.

I read all of the copper-lead alloy threads, but did not find specifics on what copper does to BHN, nor what is required to notice an effect. I saw that ~3% was max, but I wanted a little more info on what the minimum was to get an effect.

The problem I'm trying to solve, is I have a 0.401" 170 grain hollowpoint that requires extra tin to keep from fracturing. I'd like to reduce the amount of tin required with something cheaper. I can get the hardness required with antimony, but it adds brittleness. Yes, I can get there by playing around with tin and velocity, but I don't have a lot of tin. I also am trying to work up some loads for a 10mm, and I have to harden up the boolits even more than for my S&W (groups are opening up). I can either add more antimony (too brittle even at 40SW speeds) or tin (I'd have to go closer to 16-1, as I'm playing with 25-1 and 20-1). If I can use copper to harden the boolit without increasing brittleness, I'd call it a success.

I run somewhere around .18% in a WW blend for my pistols. Overkill, maybe, but sometimes I use the same alloy for rifle boolits <2200fps

Thanks Rockrat,

While I love reinventing the wheel (unrepentant engineer), my friend wants his 10mm back fairly soon (couple of weeks), and I don't have time to try every possible copper alloy. Having a range to play with helps me narrow down the amount of experimentation required. Have you experienced any trouble with copper buildup in a bottom-pour pot with that % of copper?

Thanks,
    -Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The alloy I use to sweeten has 2% Cu in it. Add a bit of "toughness" to my bad boys.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nope, but I did run my pot about 15 degrees hotter. When I tried about 0.3% Cu, I did find my bottom pour spout would freeze up if I even too a half-minute too long to start pouring again, unless I ran the pot about 50 degrees hotter, but that put me at about 765 degrees. I went to the less amount of Cu and dropped the temp to about 710-715 and things are working fine.