Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm won't seat in Sig P938

Boolit Mold

9mm won't seat in Sig P938

I'm relatively new here and have reloaded .45 successfully. I am now using RCBS carbide dies to load 9mm 125gr Penn RNBB lead bullets using WSF (I have a bunch of that around..like 15 pounds, and 1,000 of those bullets) I posted here a long time ago about COAL and was cautious about making the cartridge too short as there is a lack of data for the WSF. Factory RN hardball ammo Fiocchi 9mm measures 1.156 while the sources I look at recommend 1.169 COAL (I assume that's the maximum?) Anyways, I've got her down to 1.135 and it still won't pass the "plunk" test in the barrel (nor will it in my STI Guardian.) Sure I can go shorter to pass the "plunk" test, as I'm assuming the very round nose of the bullet is preventing the seating, but how do I know that? I can make up new dummy rounds but if I get real short to get seated will I blow off a limb even at the lowest starting measure of 4.0 g of powder? Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry for my lack of experience, I simply don't know anyone who reloads.

Boolit Buddy

I think you need to keep trying to figure out the proper OAL for your weapon by continuing to make dummies reducing the OAL .01" at a time until it "plunks". I think you will find that you may be down around 1.10" or even a little shorter. You may also want to look at the crimp.

Boolit Master
    Are you certain that it is the bullet profile causing the issue or is your case possibly bulged due to a bullet that is too large in diameter? Have you tried running the round through a Lee Taper Crimp die to insure that the round is properly sized? Just a couple of thoughts.

Boolit Master
    What is the length of the 9MM Penn RNBB 125 gr boolit?

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the replies everyone. The Penn bullet measures .5665 in length. The factory round, loaded, at it's widest at the top portion of the casing is .3755 while the Penn loaded is .3760. It does not appear bulged. I tried to taper crimp it more but it looks like it was a bit "over done" on my dummy round. I can sure go shorter but I was just afraid of building too much pressure. Does COAL mean maximum or minimum length? Being new, I thought that length was "the length" and you can't vary from that. Guess not, huh?

Your light on details for anyone to offer much meaningful help.

Here's how I figure out how long the round can be without making a zillion dummy rounds. First with the slide closed stick a dowel down the barrel till it rests on the breech face and mark it at the end of the barrel. Now open the slide insert a boolit and put something behind it to hold it there. I use a toothpick broken and wedged gently in place. Now put the dowel back in and mark it at the end of the barrel. Now measure from the outside to the inside of the marks. For lee 1r boolits make your dummy round .020" less than your measurement, and for lee 2r I start the dummy rounds .015" longer than the dowel measurement. This works like a champ and takes the guess work out of how long it should be for your gun and that boolit.

What ever length the gun wants is what will work. Now you'll need to figure out the charge data end of the equation. Post results from the above test, what your sizing the boolits at, and the book length for the data your using for further assistance.

The 938 is not known for having a bad throat and I've found that it will function with the longest rounds that will feed in a full size xd. Those same rounds are to long for many budget 9mm's and won't feed, but the 938 cramps them in the throat 100% and shoots them accurate.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    Your light on details for anyone to offer much meaningful help.

Here's how I figure out how long the round can be without making a zillion dummy rounds. First with the slide closed stick a dowel down the barrel till it rests on the breech face and mark it at the end of the barrel. Now open the slide insert a boolit and put something behind it to hold it there. I use a toothpick broken and wedged gently in place. Now put the dowel back in and mark it at the end of the barrel. Now measure from the outside to the inside of the marks. For lee 1r boolits make your dummy round .020" less than your measurement, and for lee 2r I start the dummy rounds .015" longer than the dowel measurement. This works like a champ and takes the guess work out of how long it should be for your gun and that boolit.

What ever length the gun wants is what will work. Now you'll need to figure out the charge data end of the equation. Post results from the above test, what your sizing the boolits at, and the book length for the data your using for further assistance.

The 938 is not known for having a bad throat and I've found that it will function with the longest rounds that will feed in a full size xd. Those same rounds are to long for many budget 9mm's and won't feed, but the 938 cramps them in the throat 100% and shoots them accurate.
    Thank you Freebullet. I have no idea if Penn uses a Lee 1r or Lee 2r mold but I would bet it's the 2r as the Lee site shows that to be the only 125gr bullet. Now, are there other molds besides Lee's?? I'll try to find that and get back with more info.

If you can detect where the curvature of the bullet nose begins, use that point as the spot to put even with the case mouth when you seat the bullet regardless of OAL.That should get it to pass the plunk test.
    Hodgdons data site shows 4.7 grains as max with a 125 grain cast bullet and shows 4.0 as a starting charge. If you begin with the starting charge or slightly less powder, you shouldn't have any pressure problems unless you push the bullet waaay too deep into the case. With WSf, even the max load is listed well below the max pressure the cartridge is designed for.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you Tazman. I did notice that the case mouth does not flare quite enough to accept the bullet easily but they seat straight. Nothing I do with the sizing/decapping die changes that. Once in a while a little lead will get spilled over or the gas check lube, but the case measures the same as the factory load. The bullet is quite a bit more rounded than the factory hardball ammo. It's getting late now I'll try again tomorrow with a fresh head.

I just went to the Penn bullet site and looked at the picture. You won't be able to leave any of the flat side of the bullet exposed beyond the mouth of the case if the throat on your gun is the least bit tight.
    Try to load so the case mouth is even with the start of the curvature. That should get them feeding. Start with the start weight of powder and work up from there until you are satisfied with the accuracy and function of the gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    I'm relatively new here and have reloaded .45 successfully. I am now using RCBS carbide dies to load 9mm 125gr Penn RNBB lead bullets using WSF (I have a bunch of that around..like 15 pounds, and 1,000 of those bullets) I posted here a long time ago about COAL and was cautious about making the cartridge too short as there is a lack of data for the WSF. Factory RN hardball ammo Fiocchi 9mm measures 1.156 while the sources I look at recommend 1.169 COAL (I assume that's the maximum?) Anyways, I've got her down to 1.135 and it still won't pass the "plunk" test in the barrel (nor will it in my STI Guardian.) Sure I can go shorter to pass the "plunk" test, as I'm assuming the very round nose of the bullet is preventing the seating, but how do I know that? I can make up new dummy rounds but if I get real short to get seated will I blow off a limb even at the lowest starting measure of 4.0 g of powder? Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry for my lack of experience, I simply don't know anyone who reloads.
    Not sure if this helps (working on a 1911 9mm clone)

I am loading the lee 124g bullet --the length of the bullet only is .555
    loaded length that passes the plonk test is 1.047 for my gun.
    the flat sized portion of the bullet is just a hair above the case mouth when loaded

I also did a plonk test with my length in a friends S&W and it was a good length in his gun

I have shot air cooled, loaded with 4.0 /4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 g of WSF they were either under sized or too soft and leaded the barrel .356 dia
    primers were not showing any pressure signs max plublished is 4.7g 124g lead roundnose (win book)

I have another 100 loaded
    water dropped and at 358 dia and have no worries
    just waiting for a nice day and a day off work to be at the same time
    it was snowing today

My most accurate reliable 9mm rounds don't pass a plunk test. It's pretty common for cast to perform the best with the boolit lined up and seated in the throat just like rifles. That's not possible with fat boolits as I described above.

From Tazman's description of your mold it's a 1r. He is correct, it won't feed with the sidewall of the boolit out of the case. If you do the 5min test I mentioned and follow the seating depth for 1r I'd bet it will work.

For better performance I'd recommend the Mp molds 359-125hp. It works the best in the p938 for me. When seated .020" in the throat it has no equal. The mp359-125 no groove molds are splendid in the 938 and the lee 356-125 2r is a good performer too.

Boolit Grand Master

As to other molds look at the Accurate website. Tom will get you a mold much faster than Miha unless he happens to have the one you need in stock as an overrun.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

OP it sure sounds like your barrel need to be throated. If you push one of your boolits into the chamber and tap it to seat it in the throat, then measure back to the barrel hood. Record this measurement, then compare it with one of your loaded rounds. You may find out that the base of the boolit has to be pushed farther down in the case than you want it to be. This is common happens all the time. Your barrel needs to be reamed so the throat is .0005" greater than your boolit diameter, so the boolit will go into the throat. It also needs to be deep enough so that the boolit will chamber when seated and crimped at your chosen COA. Send me a PM if you are interested in having this done.

Seating deeper in the case, -especially- in a high pressure cartridge such as 9mm can be dangerous, and what this does is create a second problem, as a workaround to the first problem, the throat being too tight or too short or a little of both.

Edit: This is a reply I made in another thread for a pistol with a different problem, but the photos here show what needs to be done to get your loaded ammo to seat and plunk and function correctly at the COA you want. The barrel on the left in the photo had a long enough throat from the factory, but it was only .4015" in diameter and would not permit a boolit sized .402" to chamber and fire. After reaming, the throat has .150" worth of .4025" freebore in front of the chamber mouth, and the .402" boolits seat without issue. This was a 10mm barrel that needed throating, but the same exact principle applies to the 9mm.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3199963
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-31-2015 at 07:27 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for your help folks. I spent a bit more time with it tonight. I crimped slightly tighter and the plunk test seems to pass at about 1.099" Doing Freebullets test with the dowel, I measured 1.105" and making it .020" less makes it 1.085" but since I'm new to this I'm not sure if that's really "close" or not to 1.099" These are small numbers. I have yet to load powder but want to know if it's dangerous starting at 4.0 g WSF at 1.099+/- or not. Also, and this is a really stupid question, how does one know if the mold is an R1 or R2 or whatever??? Is Penn using a proprietary mold or Lee mold? Thank you once again.

That Penn bullet doesn't resemble any of the Lee molds for 9mm. It is a 1r design. With the 2r designs the nose is longer and not nearly so blunt.
    You should be fine with 4.0 grains of WSF to start.
    You may start showing pressure sings before you get all the way to max at 4.7. Look for flattened primers where the edge of the primer is no longer rounded. Also look for blown/pierced primers where the dent from the firing pin is blown out. If you are not showing any of these you are probably fine. It would be good if you could verify your velocity with a chronograph. If you are reaching max speeds, you are probably reaching max pressure as well.
    WSF is a good powder to start with in this cartridge. The pressures are a bit lower than with other powders until you get to the heavy weight bullets.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That Penn bullet doesn't resemble any of the Lee molds for 9mm. It is a 1r design. With the 2r designs the nose is longer and not nearly so blunt.
    You should be fine with 4.0 grains of WSF to start.
    You may start showing pressure sings before you get all the way to max at 4.7. Look for flattened primers where the edge of the primer is no longer rounded. Also look for blown/pierced primers where the dent from the firing pin is blown out. If you are not showing any of these you are probably fine. It would be good if you could verify your velocity with a chronograph. If you are reaching max speeds, you are probably reaching max pressure as well.
    WSF is a good powder to start with in this cartridge. The pressures are a bit lower than with other powders until you get to the heavy weight bullets.
    Thank you Tazman. I had been thinking of investing the modest cost in a chronographer and you might have just convinced me to do that.

Since you mentioned tightening the crimp I'll mention that you should pull a boolit from your dummy round and measure it to make sure your not sizing down the boolits. It's cheap insurance against leading.

Cycle your dummy rounds through the gun by hand and let the slide close full speed. Does it cycle them perfectly at 1.099, how about 1.085? I'd seat them at 1.085 (my guess is it wont feed dummies longer than 1.090) and start at 3.6 working up in .2gr increments. Getting a slender nose profile mold will increase performance and capabilities. Let us know how it works out.
    Last edited by freebullet; 04-01-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes the bullet is seated too long, but more often in my case it's a lack of sufficient taper crimp. The 9mm case is tapered, i.e., the case (and chamber!) is smaller in diameter at the mouth of the case than at the head of the case.

Thus, if you don't sufficiently remove the casemouth expansion that round isn't going to pass the plunk test--the case itself jams in the chamber as it narrows toward the throat. You might be able to successfully shoot such a round with insufficient crimp, if the slamming of the slide forward essentially "crimps" the case in chambering the round, but it's not right.

But it also is sometimes the bullet.

I shoot an XD-9 and the throat/leade is short--so short that if I use Missouri Bullet 9mm "Smallball" bullets, I have to go very short for them to seat properly. The "Smallball" has a very fat ogive, as opposed to the much more slender profile of commercial FMJ bullets. My standard OAL with those bullets is 1.085, where I reload FMJ bullets for 9mm at 1.120 or longer. You'd better believe I worked up those rounds w/ the Smallball.

A couple others above mentioned the crimp; it would be and is my first guess.

Boolit Mold
    This is an awesome forum. Thank you. I have a bunch of reloading guides and the Lyman casting book. Are there any other good sources as far as books (I'm a reader.) I still don't know the difference between an r1 and r2. I feel stoopid : )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast