Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep both eyes open?

Boolit Master

Do you keep both eyes open?

Untill recently I always closed one eye while shooting anything including Red Dot, scope and open sights. First off my experiences referred to here in perdominantly hand gun not rifle. After hearing a fellow talk about his shooting and that he keeps both eyes open I decided to give it a try starting last fall. First I tried it with a Red Dot and it took a bit but I really started to prefer it. Naturally I wanted to give it a try with the tender with a 2x scope and once again I really liked it and it started to become second nature. So far no big surprises however recently I've been shooting my open sights on a 686 and a couple other revolvers and I actually think I shoot better and seem to be picking up my target faster. I'm I late to the table here? I'd really like to know what others do. I probably should have contacted Wilco to help out with a poll.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Love Life
    I shoot with both eyes open.

In Remembrance
    I shoot with one closed, and shoot left handed, because when I was a kid my right eye was the one that wanted to close. I have always heard that both eyes open was much better though. I have been able to close either eye for years, but continue to shoot left handed as it just comes natural after so many years.

Boolit Master
    I shoot open sights with both eyes open. With a scope I close one eye. I can use a scope with both eyes open if it's really low power. Otherwise the difference in the size of the target messes with me.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I shoot with one eye closed, or sometimes I use a blinder.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

with rifle shooting, the brain helps to settle down the recital right before you shoot. Yep, shoot with both eyes open and right one the money.

Both open

Boolit Master
    Both open. I ran an action pistol shoot for about 7 years, and got quite a few to switch to it. Times improved every time. Do whatever works for you though, I've seen excellent shooters both ways.

Boolit Master
    Both open. It took a bit to get used to it but it seems to reduce eye strain.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Combat shooting, it is both eyes open. For precision shooting, I use an ocluder disk or slightly squint my off eye. If you are interested in self defense, you need to shoot both eyes open as it is amazing what can sneak up on you when you have one eye closed.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to shoot both eyes open, but find myself closing one eye as I'm used to. Trying hard to retrain, but hard to do after 30 years!

Boolit Master
    One eye. I'm right handed but left eye is dominant. I have been shooting that way for so long, it's automatic. When I put the gun up to shoot, at targets or out hunting, my left eye closes.

Boolit Master
    I am weak hand eye dominant also. I can shoot the scout scope set up with both eyes open and the handgun when using both hands. Regular open or aperture sights and scopes I close the master eye.

Right handed...right eye dominant but right eye has permanent retina damage causing a "bubble" in the line of sight...so I learned to shoot with both eyes open...for handguns and get along great...for a rifle with a red dot it's both eyes open but I find I can shoot with my right eye on a magnifying scope...I just have to let the right eye sort of settle and it "makes allowances" for my damaged retina...works for me but it took a while to let it all develop.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Combat shooting, it is both eyes open. For precision shooting, I use an ocluder disk or slightly squint my off eye. If you are interested in self defense, you need to shoot both eyes open as it is amazing what can sneak up on you when you have one eye closed.
    You got it. The NRA holds their National Small Bore Matches 10 minutes from my front door, most all of the Competitors use blinders, a few are Olympic Shooters.

We also host Bulls Eye matches, most of them also use blinders.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I shoot left handed even though I am right handed. I can keep both eyes open because it doesn't make a hill of beans difference - I am blind in my right eye.....factory defect as my mother calls it.
    That's another reason to shoot machine guns.....who aims anyway?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot with both eyes open; shoot like both eyes closed.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Moderator Emeritus

One eye open. Been doing it that way since I started with a .22. Got my son to shoot both eyes open though.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm cross dominant right handed left eyed . A few yr ago I had a run of unexplained high BP which damaged my macula in the left eye . About that same time I started shooting a right handed bow right handed which I had to shoot with both eyes open . I never have been able to close the left independent of the right. Not only has the eye damage allowed me to shoot both open but it has in a way forced me to shoot both ways . With 25 yr of shooting behind me then ,I still make a rushed shot left handed out of habit along with most shotgunning at the bench I'm as likely to be on 1 side as the other . I do sometimes have a moment of difficulty keeping a target on the right with both open but a blink or 2 seems to help.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

Both eyes open

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast