Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 35 whelen project?

Boolit Bub

35 whelen project?

I really like the old Interarms Mark X rifles in particular the ones finished in England. I think they are best buys in the used market. I have always wanted a 35 Whelen but really don't care for the Remington 700. Its just me I know they are good rifles. Anyway I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a used Mark X in 30/06 and sending it to JES to have it rebored to 35 Whelen.

I think I can get a used rifle for about $350 and the rebore is $250. So for $600 I can be shooting a commercial Mauser action in 35 Whelen. This would be less than the cost of a Remington 700, Ruger or a rebarrel.

I have only found great reviews on JES. Does anyone have a thought as to my project?

Also if I would be shooting mostly J-bullets would I go with a 3, 4, or 5 groove rebore?

Thanks

I think you have a good plan! You'll have a nice, classic rifle in a wonderful caliber for not much money. I don't like the trigger and its blocking safety they used and would go to a 3 position safety on the shroud, but otherwise they're solid rifles. Do epoxt bed it so the stock holds up, otherwise good to go!

-Nobade

Think you have a great idea to base a whelen on! I just ordered a Zastava mauser in .308 the other day with the idea of having it re-bored to .358 win. in the back of my mind. 350.00 and tax on a new Zastava through Academy Sports on a close out deal.

Boolit Master
    I have a rifle nearly identical to what you're building. I bought a new Mark X in .30-06 marked 'Whitworth,' had the barrel unscrewed, had it rebarreled with a Shilen barrel in .35 Whelen, and have been enjoying it since. I don't hunt any more, but it was my 'bang-flop' rifle.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of the Mark X as well. Also like the newer Zastava's, but not quite as much. Only question about your plan would be if there is enough meat on the barrel to rebore to .358. I don't currently have one in 30/06 to measure. Even if there isn't, there is a guy on here selling Green Mountain Mauser barrels. I think he has them in 35 Whelen. Pretty easy swap if you or a bud have a barrel vise/wrench. Should end up coming in at or under your listed budget....maybe less if you can sell your take off barrel. The JES option is certainly easier if it will work and you end up with an original looking rifle. Just a thought......

So, what are the distinguishing markings on the Mark X from England? Whitworth?

Just drooled over a Mark X (30-06) in a pawn shop with angled rosewood fore end tip and grip cap, old but in excellent condition...$525 w/cheapo old scope (seemed high).

Boolit Bub
    The ones from England have Manchester England stamped the the right of the word Interarms on the action. I have had both these and the ones finished in Yugoslavia. The Yugo's still shoot but are rougher

Boolit Master
    Would the 35 Whelen clean up a 30-06 chamber? If it will, that is a GREAT idea for a rifle in a GREAT cartridge!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6901 View Post
    The ones from England have Manchester England stamped the the right of the word Interarms on the action. I have had both these and the ones finished in Yugoslavia. The Yugo's still shoot but are rougher
    i'd have to say that I can't agree with that. All the Mark X's I've owned have been finished just like the Whitworths. I can't speak about the Zastavas.