RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics of proposed lead melter

Pics of proposed lead melter

How does this set up look? I would run 2 very large cast iron Dutch Ovens.
    I would use it without the leg extensions though.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Logic Dutch Oven with Spiral Bail and Iron Cover 9 Qt.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefro...idProduct=3948

Last edited by Just Duke; 03-09-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Duke,

If'n I had one of them contraptions I'd have to go a noodlin for sure.

Dave

Rather than spend the money on a fine Lodge dutch oven, you might want to consider a cheaper alternative like these 10" dutch oven and 12" dutch oven from Harbor Freight. Way cheaper and they do not come with pre-seasoned coating that will have to be burned off. Buffalo Arms also carries this nice 8" dia. Cast Iron Lead Pot with a long bail handle and a pouring spout.
    Last edited by C A Plater; 03-09-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTDW View Post
    Duke,

If'n I had one of them contraptions I'd have to go a noodlin for sure.

Dave

Noodlin for Catfish! I remember those days when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by C A Plater View Post
    Rather than spend the money on a fine Lodge dutch oven, you might want to consider a cheaper alternative like these 10" dutch oven and 12" dutch oven from Harbor Freight. Way cheaper and they do not come with pre-seasoned coating that will have to be burned off. Buffalo Arms also carries this nice 8" dia. Cast Iron Lead Pot with a long bail handle and a pouring spout.
    Wow! Thanks for the links. I can just hacksaw the legs off and grind them flat. Great price!
    Last edited by Just Duke; 03-09-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Wow! Thanks for the links. I can just hacksaw the legs off and grind them flat. Great price!
    No requirement. The legs just go down between the supports in the grill.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    No requirement. The legs just go down between the supports in the grill.
    The legs on the Dutch Oven sir.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    The legs on the Dutch Oven sir.
    Yes, the legs on the Dutch oven will just fit down in the openings on the grill and the bottom of the pot will sit flat. You could even call it a safety provision... keeps the pot from sliding off the grill.

BTW, if you're going to put two of those on that stove, you better have a firm support under it. It would be no fun having 2 6qt dutch ovens full of molten lead tip over - most definitely will ruin your day.

Some of these guys will probably chime in to tell us how much weight you'd have on that stove, and I think you'll be surprised. If you can stand on it, after you have it set up, should be plenty strong enough.

Be safe, have fun.
    Last edited by OBXPilgrim; 03-09-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Your right. Looks like it needs center supports front and back.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Oops! Sorry, Duke. I was "shortening" the links, and accidently removed one of your pictures!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Oops! Sorry, Duke. I was "shortening" the links, and accidently removed one of your pictures!

I fixed it sir.

Boolit Master
    Duke:

I use a modified Camp Chef stove like yours for my smelting. Mine is a single burner version which I would think you should examine. It is the "HIGH PRESSURE" (60,000BTUs)model and sounds like a 747 on take-off when cranked up ! Infinitely better than the standard pressure version. In the photo you can see a couple of the smelting pots I have welded up from heavy steel tubing remnants. Subsequent to the photo I have welded extra braces on the burner so it will now easily support 400 pounds in the larger pot with added safety margin.

Jerry

Last edited by GLL; 03-09-2008 at 01:17 PM.
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Thanks sharing the pics GLL. Yea it sounds like the camp chef is the way to go.

Nice set up GLL, do you have a crane or some way to top pick your melting pots looks like you have some rings at the top for picking???
    Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

Boolit Master

Shop around for the burners too..... I think that might be a little high. Even Chef Paul Prudhomme sells a single cast iron burner on a 22 inch high stand for $95 in his catalog.... 35,000 btu burner. A real nice 2 burner on wheels for $329. You could smelt on one, and Blacken a steak on the other. Or not.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by 94Doug View Post
    Shop around for the burners too..... I think that might be a little high. Even Chef Paul Prudhomme sells a single cast iron burner on a 22 inch high stand for $95 in his catalog.... 35,000 btu burner. A real nice 2 burner on wheels for $329. You could smelt on one, and Blacken a steak on the other. Or not.

Doug
    Ouch! That is a little pricey! The Camp Chef from Basspro is only $130.00
    I would not cook on this burner after melting decayed ur**anium which is what lead is if I recall.

Boolit Master
    Duke:

Take Doug's advance and shop around for good deals. I still recommend the HIGH PRESSURE Camp Chef single burner model though. It puts out over 60,000BTUs. I have purchased several of their burners (for camping purposes) from a local Mexican restaurant supply house here in Los Angeles for heavily discounted prices (speaking Spanish is required though ! ).

Jerry

Boolit Master
    Hotwheelz:

I have made up six of the smelting pots out of steel tubing. Each has "lifting" holes. I have a heavy portable engine hoist that is rolled up and chained onto the pots once the smelting is done (never rolled with liquid metal). Each pot is used for a specific alloy and there is always some left in the bottom. 200-300 pounds of wheel weights can be handled with ease. I can also move hot (but solid) material on or off with safety without having to wait for everything to cool off.

I am really cheap (Scottish) and the remnant steel tubing was a really inexpensive way to go !
    Having access to a heavy duty plasma torch and welding equipment was a bonus !

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Duke:

Take Doug's advance and shop around for good deals. I still recommend the HIGH PRESSURE Camp Chef single burner model though. It puts out over 60,000BTUs. I have purchased several of their burners (for camping purposes) from a local Mexican restaurant supply house here in Los Angeles for heavily discounted prices (speaking Spanish is required though ! ).

Jerry
    Gotcha! Further reading netted mee the one I have pictured only has one side the cooks at the higher BTU's.

Here is the one you suggest I should get.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast