RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Monotype question

Boolit Mold

Question Monotype question

I'm a bit new to adjusting alloys. I've come across a bit of monotype and am wanting to mix it with "pure" lead to come up with something that approximates Lyman #2. From what I've looked at, it's going to be a bit tin rich unless I want to purchase some antimony bars.

4lbs of monotype with 16lbs of "pure" lead? I'm dealing with 20lb pots, hence my question in regard to that ratio.

Will it alloy on it's own, since the mono is already alloyed to lead? Are my numbers way off? What effect will the harder alloy have on diameter? Would it be better to mix this in with some known good clip on WW?

The desired end-game is to cast some 160'ish gr bullets in .284 to ring some steel with out of a 7 TCU. I typically drop my bullets into cool water, straight out of the molds. I have the ability to make up 100+/-lb batches to keep it consistent.

I'm very open to advice from the vast knowledge base here.

Boolit Man
    http://lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm
    This should help you out providing your arithmetic is up to parr. I found the articles on that site to be most informative.
    There are several formulas listed that should steer you down the right path.
    Boolits! Gotta love'em!

A ratio of 2 lbs lead to 1 lb. monotype = 6.3% antimony / 3% tin / 91.7% lead.
    Thus it would be the same with 4 lbs Mono / 8 lbs lead.
    (Lyman No. 2 - 5% antimony / 5% tin / 90% lead)

4 lbs Mono / 16 lbs lead = 3.8% antimony / 1.8% tin / 94.4% lead

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Just use the calculator and all your questions should be answered. No need to guess.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators

Quote Originally Posted by SBertram View Post
    I'm a bit new to adjusting alloys. I've come across a bit of monotype and am wanting to mix it with "pure" lead to come up with something that approximates Lyman #2. From what I've looked at, it's going to be a bit tin rich unless I want to purchase some antimony bars.

4lbs of monotype with 16lbs of "pure" lead? I'm dealing with 20lb pots, hence my question in regard to that ratio.

Will it alloy on it's own, since the mono is already alloyed to lead? Are my numbers way off? What effect will the harder alloy have on diameter? Would it be better to mix this in with some known good clip on WW?

The desired end-game is to cast some 160'ish gr bullets in .284 to ring some steel with out of a 7 TCU. I typically drop my bullets into cool water, straight out of the molds. I have the ability to make up 100+/-lb batches to keep it consistent.

I'm very open to advice from the vast knowledge base here.
    Be cautious with how hard you are making your boolits! I also shoot 7MM TCU and was water dropping to make E'M harder! That I did at the expense of lost targets. Solid hits but the slugs would turn to dust with no energy transfer... Made the alloy softer and the problem went away. Worked for me but your MMV!

Boolit Master
    You'll eliminate a bunch of the learning curve if you go straight to COWW + 2% tin/pewter water dropped. Nothing wrong with satisfying your curiosity though. When your doing your pressure calculations, most are based on MINIMUM pressure required for obturation of the boolit base.

Moderator Emeritus

4 pound slead 12 pounds monotype = 2.23% tin, 4.75% antimony, 93% lead, 13.6bhn, approx 700 boolits from the mix. Are you positive it is monotype and not foundry type? Big difference! Foundry type has a little foot notch on the side while monotype has no notch on the side of the blocks.

4 pounds foundry type mixed with 15 pounds pure lead gets you 3.16% tin, 4.84% antimony, 92% lead, 14bhn hardness approx 831 boolits to the 19 pounds of alloy.

The above were taken from the xcel calculator. Great tool to calculate alloys!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input, especially the tip on losing targets by making them too hard. I suspect a 4:1 will get me by, might add a little pewter depending on how it pours.