Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 PBcastco
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Selling Items to Canucks

Laws on Selling Items to Canucks

I guess I have to state that this is a bit of a RANT RIGHT OUT OF THE CHUTE!!!!!
    I am Canadian and I like to buy lots of my reloading and casting stuff from the USA I Can buy it pay the extra shipping and duties and Taxes and get it up here still cheaper than what it costs me at home.
    That in itself is enough to grind any mans gears. Now to the heart of my rant.
    I am sorry but there are some really poorly misinformed Americans on the laws of selling to Canadians. Before I go any farther with that statement I will right away interject that most are very on the ball and know what is happening.
    I am going to use E-Bay and or Auction Arms as examples.
    I see a mould that I need it is a four barrel with handles and the guy doesn't understand that it is okay to come across the line, Yet a scope they are willing to sell you in a heart beat and when you tell them they can't because Uncle Sam has something to say about it they say it can't be it has to be your laws up there.

Jeez if I could buy my odd ball brass and jacketed bullets that I use I would probably save 50% on my reloading costs. Primers and Powder I wouldn't want the hastle if I could. I would buy that at home.

There I vented and I do feel somewhat better.

As Most on here are Americans what is your take on some of the laws implemented since 911? How do you really feel about them.

Thanks Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Boolit Master
    My feelings on the laws are mostly reflective of the politicians. Many are well meaning,but most are "feel good" legislation. They do nothing to prevent a bad person from doing harm.Instead they prevent lawfull citizens from protecting them selves. If just ONE of the people at Virginia Tech today had a pistol ,MAYBE 30 people would STILL be alive. Unfortuneately, IF any one would have shot that SOB, they'd be in prison for life..

Boolit Master

Kodiak,

This is good timing; I'm selling some brass and bullets and have a couple of Canadians interested. I can check out the US laws but can you tell me if a Canadians can recieve thopse items without problem?

Boolit Master

I have sold leather goods to Canada, if they say they can recieve it I send it. It is paid for so if it can't get through then it is up to the sender to know the laws. But I don't have a problem sending things. Some people get too worried about what the rules are , I try and be legal but it can get pretty silly sometimes. Send it first and worry later.

Kodiak: Be aware that you have our sympathies about being Canadian. It's not your fault, even though you good folks call a walleye a pickeral. We in the states are accepting of all kinds of folks. Even Canadians. When it comes to the postal service, I usually mark stuff craft items that I send to canada. A while back, I sent to Nova Scotia 9 quarts of walnut dye and 2 tubs of rendered deer tallow. I always mark the items 'GIFT' on huge, black letters on the senders form so there is no mistake when it gets to customs. I've seen it marked small, then customs charges duty because they didn't see it (brain freeze?) . Live and learn. Another thing you can do if a company won't ship to canada, have the item sent to a friend in the states, then your friend can mail it to you. I have done that several times. There are ways to get around all the sending problems of goods.
    Ohio Rusty

Smile

Hey, I learned everything about Canada from The South Park Movie.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Trapperdan The way I understand it is no to the brass and bullets but I have also heard if it under $100.00 Cdn it is okay. This is where it gets stupid no one can really tell you one hundred percent for sure.
    If I am driving in the USA and was to get stopped for speeding say, if I have
    A scope,
    Brass,
    Bullets for Reloading,
    Primers.
    Powder,
    Cartridges and probably a bunch that I am forgetting I could be charged under your Home Security Act and Deported.
    I can go to a gun show and buy a muzzle loader and bring it home no problem as long as I call Canada's registry get it registered and have a faxed copy of the papers when i hit the boarder I pay Taxes and Carry on home. That i got from the Customs fellas at Sweetgrass/Coutts at the Montana/Alberta main crossing.
    Talked to a fella at a gunshow in the states that sold me 2 scopes about 8 months later some law enforcement (federal) came and informed him he had 63 charges of selling scopes to Canadians. If he cooperated they would go lightly on him if he bucked the system they would do likewise.
    Sounds like pretty strong arm tactics to me.

Dman I hate it when the kids can't play together in the sand box.

Ken
    Ken.

Ironically, I've several times bought gun parts from Canadians, and they come thru Customs to the USA just fine - even clearly labeled as such.

eBay and PayPal prohibit sending any part of a gun out of the USA. But I did not know that Canada had such draconian import laws. Scopes, for heaven's sake? By that reckoning, you can't buy binoculars either, I suppose.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    uscra112:

From what I understand from other posts on the subject, the prohibition on 'scopes is not on the Canadian import end, but a US export regulation. (I guess "sniper-scopes" can only be sold to Iran???)

floodgate

Boolit Master

scopes

I remember reading somewhere that exportation of "sighting devices" is restricted by the U.S.

Boolit Master

I've been doing some research into this. I have found it is an amazing bureaucracy! Turns out it is a State department responsibility under section 22 Code of Federal regulations. They maintain a Munition List and riflescopes "manufactured to military specification" are excluded from export (22 CFR 121.1(b). Cartridge cases, bullets and other similar items are also munition list items, catagory III. There may be an exemption in 123.17(e) that allows US citizens to export less than 1,000 cartridges for non-automatic weapons for personal use. It is all very confusing!

Hi Dan,

Rifle scopes for strictly designe for military purposes are restricted for export and require a State Department export license. Sporting scopes require a Commerce Depart export license

Small quantities of certain gunparts---$100 worth may be exported without a license.

The Old Canadian exemption in the U.S export laws got seriously modified about 10 years ago after Canada brought pressure on the U.S. to do so at a meeting of the Organization of American States.

I am not current n the export laws now, but it use to be my specialty. One thing I can tell you is do not depend on any legal advice you get via the internet.

Here are some registered importers/exporters who may be willing to help you get large ticket item across legally

Import/Export Agents

Kebco LLC - http://www.kebcollc.com

Simpson Ltd. - http://www.simpsonltd.com

Leroy's Big Valley Guns (eMail) - leroygun@nemontel.net

John Appleton - http://users.erols.com/apple1co

The reason many business don't want to get involved with export becasue it cost $1750 a year to be a registered exporter.

There are a couple gunshops on the borders that have blanket license for export. Wish I could remember their names. One in Grand Forks and one in Buffalo.
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know Canadian law but, is there a problem calling the brass "brass extrusions"? How about scopes as telescopes or optical instruments? Cast bullets as lead castings? There is NO lie in that. It seems the mere mention of firearms related items rattles these monkeys cages.
    I would suggest not mentioning CARTRIDGE CASES or, BULLETS or, RIFLE SCOPES on any package going across any border. Also be creative but, don't lie.

Boolit Master
    I have sent a number of cast bullets to Canada, SA and OZ, just marked the package as a gift and containing metal alloy hobby castings.
    All got there just fine.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Ahh. Scopes = "telescopes". Brass = "extrusions". Boolits = "extrusions" or "castings". Parts = "machine parts". All are "Gifts". Never declare a value of over $100. I can live with that.
    Born OK the first time.

Boolit Buddy
    Ken
    I'm a rebel.
    I believe that it's my obligation to ignor every stupid law our legislators come up with.
    If i was sending cast bullets North I'd just label them as antimonial castings, to be used as pistons in an internal combustion device, for hobby experimental purposes.
    Brass would become turned copper alloy extrusions for gas containment.
    Just keep in mind down south of the border it's not what you do as much as wheat you call it. Besides governement employees are not candidates for Oxford scholorships.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Buddy
    Not wanting to hijack the tread but..... if you think international laws have gone crazy I just titled and registered a boat, canoe, and two trailers here in PA that I brought in from New Jersey when I moved. The documentation process required a trip back to NJ motor vehicle, multiple visits to a licensed PA inspection mechanic and/or PA law enforcement officer and the title and tag agencies, and $250.00 of my money! For four titles and registrstions!. One is a canoe, the other is a 13 foot rowboat! I asked the title and tag clerk what the deal was and was told this is the result of new Homeland Security regulations that went into effect Jan 1 this year. What's next?! What does Homeland Security have to do with canoes and little boat trailers?
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom
    Like in the movies, anything you tell the government they will use against you or tax.
    In this case they will tax you.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Oh there are ways around it. If memory serves me correct (for examplew a scope)
    if anyone mails me a scope from the USA and it makes it to me no problems with customs YOU THE SENDER will get fined and I belive it is suppose to be up to $50,000.00 if US Customs find it being sent then you are in the same boat.
    Me the GUY BUYING is only out the cost of the scope and mailing, no fine.
    At worst probably a note at customs to watch my **** if I should venture down for a visit. Serious Shtuff!!!
    Ken
    Ken.

Boolit Bub
    This is a current US-Cdn export/import company who has a reasonable explanation that will maybe help people stay out of trouble on this subject. The US created the rules, Canada did not object or apply for the exemptions they could have obtained;
    http://hurricanebutterflyresearch.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast