Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of it or into it - .30 Herrett Contender

Talk me out of it or into it - .30 Herrett Contender

I went to one of the local gun stores around here looking for some large rifle magnum primers today. While I was in there I decided to look around, and got over to where they had the single shot rifles and saw a Contender G2 muzzle loader. This brought up if they ever got any Contender pistols in, they had one that was not on the floor yet. He brought it out, 30 Herrett was the chambering in a 10" barrel. It was an old flat side, I don't know what generation, but it opened relatively easy and locked up like a bank vault. The bluing was nice and the wood only had a few little dings on it, but was the two screw type forearm. It wore a Burris 2x scope.

So my dilemma, do I want it (I kind of want it). I've been thinking about it all day today. So far what I can tell about the cartridge is the brass isn't super hard to make, but the dies are relatively expensive since it is not what we'd call a fashionable chambering any more, one time purchase though. Brass can be had from what I understand (I have not checked), from EABco for $30/hundred, or I can make my own. Are the custom step down dies the only option in forming the brass, or is there some other method to form the brass that is not so costly?

Next is the price, it was $499.00, but it comes with a bandoleer holster. I did not see if it was some sort of custom rig or anything like that, so I don't know if it's a $30 holster, or a $100 holster. So it is certainly not a steal or anything. I'm sure I could bide my time and find something on gun broker in a chambering that I already load for, but I can't lay my hands on those before I laydown the cash.

Thanks,

Sully
    Sully

If you look at the Hornady data, the 30 Herrett equals or bests 30-30, both with 10" barrels. The 30-30 wakes up in a 14" barrel, but if you want a 10" gun for easier handling I think the Herrett is the answer.

You might ask if they'll consider closer to $400 for the pistol...

Boolit Master
    I had a 14" barrel version and loved it. Shot better than I could. If I did everything right I could get MOA out of it (I had a 3x Leupold scope on it).

I liked the longer barrel on Contenders, even though I had a 10" in .357mag that was a good shooter. I either shot from sitting supported or prone.

Boolit Master
    I have a 10" with a Simmons 4X mounted and it is great. One thing you may want to look at is if it is a 1:10" twist or the older 1:14" twist. The 1:14" allows you to use softer cast bullets without leading and also allows slightly higher velocities based on what I have read. Mine is the 1:14" ROT, and I have not been able to make it lead the bore with anything as long as I size it to .311". I'd say it comes down to do you mind making the brass. If you're willing, I say go get it. If not, then just get a .30-30, cause while the performance on paper is better in the 10" .30H than it is in a 10" .30-30, I seriously doubt any animal or paper parget will know the difference. Mine does 2" or better at 100yds with a rest, but has given me a few .75-1.0" groups and does so frequently enough to rub it in that it shoots better than I'm capable of on a regular basis. I mean, if it was a one time thing, it would be one thing and I would call it a fluke, but it gives me a group that size every 2nd or third trip to the range, so just enough to rub it in that I need more practice.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

frames sell for about $250. grips & forend $45 barrels $175 scope $125 is this the holster http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taurus-Judge...-/301452498591 i would buy the Tender and trade the barrel and get a 30/30
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

You actually came in here and asked to be talked out of something shooting related......
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckbuster View Post
    You actually came in here and asked to be talked out of something shooting related......
    Hahahaha!

Boolit Master
    Everyone get your chestwaders on...

Chuckbuster has a point. I'll try. Ok, the .30 Herrett is horrible. You have to load you own cause they don't sell it at Walmart. That means you also have to cast (since you're here), and size, and lube, and probably GC. And then you have to form your own brass, and work a press, and, and... So you see, it is a horrible idea that will lead to you having to go to the range, and there's loud noises there, and I bet every single one of us here is just scared to death of loud noises. I know I am. And I also just hate going to the range.

There! How's that? Are you talked out of it yet?

Oh well, it's a moot point now. I went in there to pick it up, and the price had gone up another $40 since yesterday, bringing up the price to $540. I took a little something to act as part of a trade. There was just too much of a gap between what I wanted to give and what he wanted to get. Meh, I guess I'll just have to keep my eye out for another one. My deciding factor to go back today was when I saw that GRUMPA made brass for it, and that solved the biggest problem, except the whole money thing.

I'll find one someday, just not today. Thanks folks.
    Sully

Boolit Master

Since you are still looking here is my advice.

Having owned a .30 Herret many years ago, my advice is to go to a 14" barrel chambered in 30/30. A lot less trouble as 30/30 cases are plentiful, and in a 14" barrel, the 30/30 is superior. (Just my experience)
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    30 Herret is easily one of the best cartridges you'll ever shoot out of a short barrel Contender. I have one and shot many game animals with it and used it extensively in IHMSA for years.

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Moderator Emeritus

If it were me i would look long and hard at a 7-30 Waters in 10, 12 or 14 inch lengths. Get a 7 mm flat nose mold about 130-145 gr and don't look back.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    With a half-dozen or more different caliber barrels already for my G1 Contender (with the STERLING buttplate!), I recently added a 7mm TCU barrel. Never even considered the 30 Herrett before, but I'm so happy with the TCU that I may just have to give it a try

...although my .223 brass supply (from which the TCU is formed) is much larger than my .30-30 (isn't the Herrett made from .30-30?)

Boolit Master
    Yes, from .30-30. After reading recently about 7mm TCU, I'm not sure you would gain much adding a .30 Herrett if the main intent was to punch paper, cause the 7mm TCU sounds like an EXCELLENT round, but I love my .30 Herrett, and keep thinking about adding a 7mm TCU. So you may want to ignore me and just get one. I mean, think of all the .30 molds out there that you can't use in a 7mm TCU but can in the .30 Herrett...

Every one should have both.
    The 7tcu is a breeze to load for.
    The .30 Herrett is fun to load for.
    Piece of cake.
    Definitely get both of them.

Boolit Grand Master

I think 30 herret can be formed one pass thru the sizing die, It just needs to be set to produce the correct headspace, so the case is just snug when action closes. The bigger issue is almost 1/4" needs to be trimmed off to finish the case. Its a great round and very good performance. A trim die or small cutoff saw and fixture will speed up trimming.

I have 357 herret and the only drawback is the case forming trimming. But once a couple hundred cases are done you may never do it again

Boolit Master
    I would pass at 499. It just is not that interesting . Not saying it's not a good deer round. If it had a longer neck it would make a good cast Boolits round.

I have seen encore 308s for 499 or less

Boolit Master

DON'T do it!!!!!
    If one of them dang things gets a foot hold in your door, THEY multiple!
    It seems like every time I open the safe, THERE's another one!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Form dies are not needed, not even wanted; one pass and trim to length.
    Always set your sizing die to head space on the shoulder, not the rim. I used one for years as a varmint rig, cast 311359 and took gophers and chucks out way farther than I thought possible. Good cartridge and a lot of fun.....

Boolit Grand Master

I competed with a 30 herrett in sillywett production class. I managed to win a fair amount of medals along the way. Back in the day, I used to use brass for the .375 Super Mag pistol. It was the perfect length and would only take one pass to form into herrett's.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast