Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 303 British - should I buy it?

Boolit Master

303 British - should I buy it?

Found a 303 British. Nice condition, good bore, crisp action. Overall in really nice condition. The stock has been refinished and no longer has a top wood guard on the barrel. Butt plate is original. The forward end of the stock may have been reshaped to give in more of a sporter look but I do not know enough about the different model of the 303's to say for sure. Guy is asking $150 which includes of new box of ammo.

Banned

I think it would be worth at least $150 as a shooter. I kind of like them to be stock, but sporterized will still be fun and the .303 Brit is a good cartridge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Found a 303 British. Nice condition, good bore, crisp action. Overall in really nice condition. The stock has been refinished and no longer has a top wood guard on the barrel. Butt plate is original. The forward end of the stock may have been reshaped to give in more of a sporter look but I do not know enough about the different model of the 303's to say for sure. Guy is asking $150 which includes of new box of ammo.
    Sporterized or not, I'd buy it at that price. They are absolutely wonderful guns. Id actually like to find a cheap sporterized one and customize it some day. I have a US made in in full military dress and its staying that way. I paid $300 for mine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
    Sporterized or not, I'd buy it at that price. They are absolutely wonderful guns. Id actually like to find a cheap sporterized one and customize it some day. I have a US made in in full military dress and its staying that way. I paid $300 for mine.
    +1 I agree, if the wife did not tell me no more guns I would grab it, but alas, no more toys for a while

Boolit Master

The price seems to be fair enough. As long as the metal has not been changed, replacing the wood is not a big problem.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Buy it!

Is it a P-14, No4 or an SMLE?

Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Buy it!

Is it a P-14, No4 or an SMLE?

Don't know. I'm going back tomorrow to check it out some more. Will I be able to tell by the serial number and the country of manufacture. In other words what do I look for to tell. Do they state model number on them. It is obvious I know nothing about 303's by my questions that why I need help.

Thanks

Perma-Banned

I would grab it up they are great guns

Boolit Master
    At 150$ your buying an action. What can you you buy for that today. You should be posting pictures not asking questions.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    Buy it. Anything that is in good working condition is min 150 bucks. If the barrel is stock and not cut down finding the missing/modified wood might be worth looking in to. If the metal has been messed with prob only going to be shooter but the good news is it prob cant go down it value

Boolit Master

Buy it for $150, sell it to me for $175. You will make a profit.

I say buy it too. if the stocks have been altered it is likely a Parker Hale Sporter. one of these. see pic.

If the barrel is 22" it is the "Deluxe Sporter" and if the barrel is 25" it is probably the Standard Sporter.

I have one of both types and I paid $200 for each one.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by retread;3196581

Don't know. I'm going back tomorrow to check it out some more.

Will I be able to tell by the serial number and the country of manufacture.

what do I look for to tell.

Do they state model number on them.
    IIRC, if's a S.M.L.E., most of the info you need will be stamped into the side(s) of the receiver and/or butt socket - but, at that price, you should buy it in a NY Minute, regardless of which model it is.

AFAIK, if the rear sight is barrel mounted, it's a WWI gun; if mounted on the rear of the receiver, it's WWII vintage - similar to the way US Springfield rifles were sighted.

If it has a cone-shaped flash hider @ the muzzle, RUN (do not walk) back & snatch it up, since if might be a Jungle Carbine !

Boolit Master

Sight is receiver mounted. Looks like the No.5 from what I recall. Butt plate is brass.

Boolit Master
    Grab it!

I bought a Golden States Santa Fe 303 sporter about six months ago for $125. The rifle is a great old gun, I really like it. I say buy that 303, You'll be glad you did. GP

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No sound, shootable. 303 at $150 is a mistake. Grab it!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

No brainer, worth 150.00$ even as a wall hanger or parts.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    I would buy it at that price, even though I have one now I don't shoot much.
    I traded labor for my 1945 Lithgow SMLE about 4 years ago.
    My labor costs were less than $200.

It's a fun gun to shoot, and someday I'd like to try the British "Mad-Minute" drill, but as of now I have a limited supply of .303 British ammo. Most of it is new, factory offerings, but I found some surplus at an auction some time back that is loaded with Cordite!
    I had no idea small arms were loaded with what I had always thought was considered "High-Explosives".

I haven't loaded any yet, but I did buy a set of dies at auction, so someday...

Boolit Master
    Most of it is new, factory offerings, but I found some surplus at an auction some time back that is loaded with Cordite!
    I had no idea small arms were loaded with what I had always thought was considered "High-Explosives".
    The term cordite is still occasionally used for some types of blasting sticks.
    Nobel created several nitroglycein based explosives besides Dynamite. Gelignite had the same nitro content percentage as Cordite mkI at 58%, the major difference being the material used to gel and stabilize the nitroglycerine. Abel and Dewar used nitro-cellulous as a combined stabilizer and energetic component.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast