Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: How to make 6 cavity bullet mold order

How to make 6 cavity bullet mold order

I got this mold from a friend of mine Hensley and Gibbs # 72 its a .45 cal 200gr rn bullet I have used some of his and just finished some of my own these are nice. I was thinking of having a 6- cavity mold of this bullet made . Have there been any group buys for a 200gr rn before? If I want an idenitcal bullet do I just send 1 in and the make the mold to match or do I have to draw it out for them?

[IMG]

Ill be as nice as you let me and as mean as you make me, your Choice

HONCHO EMERITUS

If you ask our resident bullet design expert, "45 2.1", he might be able to draw one up if you send him some samples. He'll probably make a slight improvement or two as well.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master

Another Option

Go to Ballisti-cast bullet moulds. They make most of the old Hensley & Gibbs designs in multi cavity moulds...an enormous choice in all calibers. Chances are good they will have the model you mention.

The only negative is that they don't exactly give the moulds away. If you're used to discounted LEEs and LYMANs from GRAFS, MIDWAY, MID-SOUTH, etc, brace yourself for sticker shock! The mould is worth every penny you pay for it, but you are paying for very high class workmanship. I paid $170+ for a six cavity Hensley & Gibbs back in the late 70s or early 80s.

I have 6 cavity H&G molds and a new 4 cavity from Ballisticast. I have a friend who told me that he thought he could go just as fast with a 4 cavity as he could with the 6 cavity. (We are talking Ballisticast and H&G steel molds here, not aluminum) I kind of poo pooed the idea since I am a big boy who is used to working tools and have a decent amount of upper body strength.

However, after using the 6 cavity H&G molds and the 4 cavity, I think I will buy a 4 cavity from Ballisticast the next time I order a mold from them. You work a lot harder with the 6. It also takes a different rhythm when you are working that mold. You have to push it in farther to fill the cavities and it weighs a lot more.

I will not sell my 6 cavity H&G plain based 68, but if I had to replace it, it would be with a 4 cavity. It does put out a lot of boolits.

http://www.ballisti-cast.com/Bullet%...20Page%206.htm

It might be an #1119 with a plain base. You can always call them. They have some great people working there.

Crabo

Interesting, I didn't see a #72 on the H&G mold chart. Also if Ballisti-Cast made one my understanding their number would be #672 (600 + the H&G mold #) and I didn't see that on Ballisti-Cast's website either. Got me curious now.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm
    Last edited by winchester243; 03-09-2008 at 02:34 AM.