Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: new guy with 45/120 need help

Boolit Mold

new guy with 45/120 need help

hi im gary im a new guy here on cast boolits I need help with a load for my 45/120 buffalo classic is it possible to fire a lee 450 cast boolit at 2100 fps at under 40k psi that's my goal been told on another site I cant do it gary

Boolit Master
    I would only do it in a 45/120 in a Ruger #1, for weaker actions I would go with a case full of real black powder. The case was designed to fit in more black powder than could be done with the various BP .45s such as the 45/100 or 45/110. There are a lot of variables when you fill a case half full with smokeless, you may get unburned powder or "off" sounding shots. The 45/70 is a good smokeless round, the 45/120 is not.

Boolit Master
    What MT Chambers said. 45/120 is for BP

Boolit Grand Master

Your talking some pretty stout recoil and while it may be able to be done ( how safe is another question) those big cases were desighned around compressed charge of 1F-2F black powder charges compressed Smokless charges will leave alot of airspace in the 3 1/4" long case to deal with. Why the 450 grn wieght bullet? Look into diffrent manuals and see what data is given for cartridge combination. I believe I have seen data up to around 1800 some place for this cartridge. Look in lymans cast bullet handbook and others for pressure tested data. This cartridge shines with large charges of Black Powder and heavy bullets.

Yes, there are a large number of smokeless powders that will drive that boolit to 2100 fps or a bit faster while keeping the pressure below 35,000 PSI. IMR 7828 is a good place to start. However, do you have any idea what the recoil of that is going to do to your body? You are firmly into 458 Lott performance, and well above what a 458 Win Mag will do. I wouldn't consider firing a Lott in a rifle weighing less than 12 pounds, and yours is half that. Black powder is going to be the safest thing to use, and is going to recoil plenty enough for you to get the full effect without a guaranteed trip to the hospital (maybe).

-Nobade

Soon you will call that rifle Ol'flinch maker. I have one similar not a lot of fun there.
    Stick with Black 1F. If you need more gun get a 458 Win.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Mold
    guys thanks for the info my bc has a synthetic stock with a bag of 00 buck in it with the scope it weighs close to 12 pounds I never used imr 7828 I was gonna try some imr4350 with a start of 60grs gary

Boolit Master
    Be careful not to split that synthetic stock. Your recoil is about 35-36#, a 338 Lapua Mag. is only 28# and a 30 lb. .50BMG is at 43#. Good luck and let us know what happens!!

Lol! I love it. I loaded only a conservative 50.5gr imr 4064 with a 400jfp in 45-70 pedersoli rolling block. After 25rds my shoulder was absolutely done for. But my group at 50yds with that load was awesome. See avatar photo. I can only imagine the recoil Gary is going to have. Have fun with that cartridge!

Boolit Master

ihave a bc with about 2pounds of led in the stock.a 300 grain jhp at 2000 fps will let you know it went off. what your talking about would have to kick you brains out. just my dimes worth

Boolit Mold
    this is a load that would not be used often its one to take to the range two or three at a time if need be ill put it on the sled to soak up the recoil or to let the range buzzards try gary