Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: 45 AR mould ?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

45 AR mould ?

I have a 1917 Smith and a RBH . If I need to hot rod AR/ACP I know which 1 to put it in . I am currently running a rather boring but accurate load of 5.5 Unique under a 45 200 SWC RCBS, 452-252 and 255 Lee boolits. As a point of interest I think everything shoots well in the 1917 even a paper patched 430424 that drops at 448.
    My question is ,is there a 240-255 mould that takes advantage of the long cylinder throat and minimal case space intrusion? A front band in mine could be as small as . 452 as this specific Smith is zero nothing minimum tolerance all points. I tinkered with the Mtn Molds tool and it says it is pretty easy to get a useful boolit but the expense of the 1 off is more than I want to do at this point Especially if I'm already walking down a paved highway .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Mihec copy of the H&G #68 with flat base (200 gr. SWC) for regular use at the range. These are target loads of 4.0 grs. of Bullseye or equivalent and are not only super accurate but well within the pressure bounds of a 1917 revolver. I haven't had a 1917 for many, many years so I cannot speak to cylinder length in that platform.

In my two 625's my heavy bullet load is an NOE home cast of Lyman's 454424 (250 gr Keith) and it works extremely well in the 625's. The NOE 452423 should work well, also. I also have a Ruger SS Bisley convertible. It cannot use Auto Rim cases and you should NOT apply a roll crimp on .45 ACP cases in this platform as the rounds headspace on the mouth of the case. I'm not comfortable with these heavy bullets when using a taper crimp in heavy loads. You just may get recoil creep of the bullets that would/could tie up the revolver.

Of course, in the Ruger Convertible you can use .45 Cowboy Special cases with a roll crimp. They are basically cases rimmed with a .45 Colt rim but the length of a .45 ACP case. They are uncommon and expensive when you find them.

FWIW
    Dale53

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The 1917 is long enough to take Colts .

I have closed on a 452424 , I understand that it is the fatter Colts boolit . I believe the moon clips negate the roll vs taper crimp. For even the RBH I doubt I would hop up an ACP that's why there's a Colts to run heavies and 1200 fps 255s. Personally 800 from ACP and 1050 from Colts I pickled tink. Thanks for the suggestions.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

Harter66;
    Your comments about using heavy bullets in the 1917 and roll crimping when using moonclips is correct. However, keep in mind that the 1917 revolvers were not heat treated and are a bit "tender". I would NOT use heavy loads in the 1917's for that reason. Just keep within SAAMI standards with the 1917 and you'll be just fine.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Boolit Master

The "way-more-trouble-than-it's-worth" approach would be the hollow-based 265 grain Webley MK2 bullet, as it puts almost ALL of its lead outside the case. I cooked up some bizarre hybrid Webley/ACP hybrids with Trail Boss for my first ACP-altered MKVI, and they worked well in that and the 1917 I shot them in. I expect you could cast them hard and do great things for accuracy in a Blackhawk, as you'll have a nice, stout band to center things up in the forcing cone. Terminal effect of the long, pointy nose on water jugs pretty much sucks though. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.