Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: How fast can you push a powder coated bullet?

Banned

How fast can you push a powder coated bullet?

I'm just getting into powder coating (still need a few more things to get started), but figured I might as well just jump right on in to the fun.

I've heard of people pushing PC bullets pretty fast. Just how fast can you do it? Could you manage to do something like push a 150gr GC bullet in a 30-06 up to 2900-3000 FPS? If so, is there anything particularly special you'd have to do to get a bullet to go that fast?

I'd like to completely get rid of the need for me to get jacketed bullets.

Banned
    Also. If I bought a mold for a plain base 25 cal (117 gr) bullet and wanted to push it to 2350 FPS in a 25-35 WCF (full powered load), could I get that bullet to work in that rifle with that load by just powder coating it? 25 cal gas checks sound like a PITA to find and deal with, so I'd rather not if I can get good results without them.

Boolit Master
    I do the shake and bake method. I blew some thru my 30-06 at full speed(same as jacket) and the groub was 5x larger than with jackets. I have found that I can get these pc boolits easily into 2000 fps with very tight consistant groubs. That is all I need to make a 250 yard shot if needed. Truth be I can get to 2200 but the groub will start opening up. What I love about this is those pesky fliers that so often happen have all but diminished. I feel pc has allowed me to get 400 more fps than lube and still keep a tight groub. I load very carefully and try keep everything the exact same(neck diameter, cartridge wt, boolit wt, col, primer, crimp). Kinda like I did with br shooting 30 years ago. I love pc (thanks to all who got this going) and see no need for lube again in my shooting career!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    also I size and install gc before pc. I use a little dab of alox on the base of boolit then apply gc and size. 99 percent stay on during shake period. After pc I run them thru sizer again as I load them.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Bub
    in my experience when using jacketed bullet data minimum and maximum loads have more to due with how accurate PC bullets are then just velocity alone. this has been the case in four different calibers. but I think there is a limit to that rule of thumb. I shot some in a 22-250 and while I could push them to around 3600 fps without leading even with minimum loads accuracy was dismal. I did get a load with unique powder that accuracy was acceptable though. I think we should be looking at chamber pressure as a measure of what these bullets will do not velocity

Boolit Master
    I have shot powder coated bullets in a 308 Win bolt gun. Anything over 2200 feet per second the groups start to open up even with the gas check.
    I stay below 2000 feet per second and get reasonable groups with a powder coated and plain base gas check. I make the gas checks from .006 thick roof flashing.
    The powder coating on light bullets for the M1 Carbine do shoot good with no lead or powder coat in the gas system.
    Best results though have been with paper patching not powder coating for the 308 Win bolt gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tex I PC then gas check 150 gr. fn in 30-06 at just under 2460 fps.
    CC

Vendor Sponsor

Just did 3 different groups with a 358 Win 200 Gr FN... avg 2369 FPS with some rds reaching 2421 and got avg 3/4" to 1" groups

Below is 4 shots at 200 Yds then last shot scope adjusted to hit center

Attachment 136513
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 04-11-2015 at 09:37 AM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Wow that is encouraging. Has any one else found when using a new barrel(another gun) that it takes 2or 3 shots of a PC boolit to settle then from there on it shoots good? This is around 2000 fps for starting.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Nekshot I tested @ 30F - 308W, no change except for the nut behind the trigger. Clean dry barrel. I have noticed an oiled barrel will change POI slightly.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Not to bring an old thread back to life, but a question on this... I PC all of my bullets and then size them after cooling. I don't have any GC's as of yet, and don't want to deal with them. I want lighter loads, out to 200-300 yards out of my 308 bolt gun, but don't know if I can have that done without a GC. What do you guys think about shooting WITHOUT a GC, with PC bullets?

Boolit Master

You have to be alert to the "trans-sonic" area of velocity. Either stay well above it or below. When a boolit drops through the speed of sound, I believe roughly 1100 fps at sea level, (could be off on that estimate), it hinders it accuracy. Shooting without a gc can be done, but wanting it accurate out to 200-300 yards may be a problem due to velocity. You can only go so fast without a GC, and this may put your boolit in the "trans-sonic" region due to velocity bleed off as range increases.

Adding a GC, getting the velocity up, and having a boolit with a good B.C can help maintain velocity at the longer ranges and keep the velocity above the trans sonic region.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    one can push them real fast, but hitting anywhere near POA, not so good.