RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Lee mold quality lately?

How is Lee mold quality lately?

I need a big pile of H&G #68 boolits. Have an H&G #68 4 cavity mold that I have not yet used. Also have a Saeco #69 4 cavity that I have not used in years. But, for quantity, I would prefer a 6 cavity. Miha (MP Molds) does not have any 6 cavity #68 molds in stock, according to his website, and Lee is the only other source I know of. So has anyone bought a Lee recently? Thanks.

I'm A Honcho!
    Just so you know mihec of mp molds does have some.
    I just sent him funds for a six cav aluminum.

Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Master
    I just bought a lee 145gr SWC 2 cavity. It cast 142grs with 6-2-92 alloy, measured .402"da and was less than .001' out of round. The quality was better than other lee molds I have used in the past but not some thing I would want for large amounts of casting.

If you want large production go with one of the custom mold makers, I use a.45cal 204gr NEI 4 cavity from the 1980's.

Boolit Master
    Give Mihec a PM he often times has molds left over from previous buys etc.

Boolit Master

I think the MP clone of the 68 is better than the Lee. I have both in 6 cav, I like the Miha better. JMO
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    NOE makes an excellent H&G 68 clone as well.

I just used a 358-140 two cavity mold that I recently purchased and although the quality of the bullets it was dropping was good, as soon as it got heated up well, the alignment pins started moving around. This is the new style mold. Read up about the "fixes" for it here but I was disappointed that I needed to do anything to it since it was brand new. Don't know about the six banger molds or if they contain the new style pins or not.
    "We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post

Wasalmonslayer
    That sounds pretty awesome, wish he listed 6 cavity ones on his group buys!

Boolit Buddy
    I have long thought Lee should make a "Premium" line of bullet moulds. Identical to their regular production aluminum moulds but made out of 360 BRASS.

While aluminum moulds can cast good bullets, aluminum is a very poor metal to make moulds out of. Mould makers love it because it is easy to machine and is a cheap metal to buy. But when aluminum is heated to lead casting temperatures, it loses approximately half of its strength. So, unless aluminum moulds are handled with kid gloves, they can easily be damaged.

I like Lee aluminum moulds because they are so inexpensive to buy, but wish I could get Lee moulds in Brass, even if I had to pay much more. That would be the best of both worlds.

First, I do not do a lot of bullet casting. That said, I own three moulds. Two for my .40 S&W and one for the Lee 12 gauge key drive shotgun slug. I have had no complaints about any of the three. They do the job as advertized.

I just copied this from his website. It shows "out of stock". I will e-mail him and inquire. Thanks.

- Cast .453 cal bullets
    - Made from Aluminum 7075
    - Steel sprue plate
    - Hardened steel alignment pins
    - Cast .453 200 grains bullets
    - Allen keys are included
    - RCBS/Lyman top punch is included
    - Use LEE 6 cavity handle or MP mold handles (NOT included)
    - Sample of sprue lube is included (20ml)

[ Email To A Friend ]

Add this product to your cart below
    under 'ordering options'.
    Product Price Qty Add To Cart
    HG#68 .452 - 200 grain Flat Base $80 Out of Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Wasalmonslayer View Post

Wasalmonslayer

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a new 6 cavity Lee 452 255 gr. mold, and to say the least I was impressed with it, I have owned Lee molds in the pass and they all needed some help to cast right, but this one worked right out of box, I don't know if this is the new Lee quality or I just got lucky and got a good one, but I am satisfied with my 40.00 Lee 6 cavity mold.

Boolit Master
    I would use the good quality 4 banger before the Lee anytime, esp. if you already have it, if you need a 6 banger then the Miha or NOE would be my pick......of course if you have nothing and are down to your last buck, get the Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently got 2 6-cav 'Production' Lee molds.

One was 457 RB, the other 454 RB. Both are dropping 0.003" under stated size. All my old ones drop at the stated size or a tiny bit more, which is what it should be. So I use the new 457 to make 454's, the new 454 to make 451. I wrote Lee, their reply was nonsensical, but they did offer to swap.

I also had 2 of the new design 2-cav rifle molds. They fell apart within a few days, the sprue plates were not flush making rough bases, and in both cases one of the alignment pins fell out. All my very old molds from Lee in the old style, work well.

I still have a deep affection for Lee, as I started with their kit and most of my reloading kit is Lee.

But, I have to admit, something is wrong with the new molds and what the heck has happened to the RB mold production I do not know. I now use the privateers, NOE, NEI, Accurate, exclusively.

Boolit Master
    "You get what you pay for" is not an old saying by accident. That includes customer service, both before and after the sale... Cheap IS cheap.
    The free market will eventually eliminate all those who don't offer quality equal to their cost, at least on the higher end... If you want quality, expect to pay for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    I need a big pile of H&G #68 boolits. Have an H&G #68 4 cavity mold that I have not yet used. Also have a Saeco #69 4 cavity that I have not used in years. But, for quantity, I would prefer a 6 cavity. Miha (MP Molds) does not have any 6 cavity #68 molds in stock, according to his website, and Lee is the only other source I know of. So has anyone bought a Lee recently? Thanks.
    I haven't bought a new mold for a while; but going from experience, if your H&G is a real H&G, heat it up and use it. The last four cavity H&G mold I had dropped 147 perfect boolits and one reject and that one was my fault, I stopped the flow of alloy too quickly.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I just spent two frustrating hours with a brand new Lee 8mm mold.
    Being left-handed I ladle cast holding the mold in my right hand--I didn't turn the blocks around in the handles because the last Lee I got has (as does this one) some weird screws holding the blocks to the handles--they have an allen head and a thread that is about 1/2 turn per inch.

Couldn't get a good flow going in to the cavities the ladle kept wanting to push the sprueplate open.

Can't decide whether to go ahead and try to r&r the screws, knowing that if they strip out I can tap for a better screw, I guess.

EDIT: Well I turned it around and the screws Would not return to their original depth so I'll try casting with it this way before resorting to surgery.
    Last edited by CHeatermk3; 03-29-2015 at 12:03 AM.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    I think the MP clone of the 68 is better than the Lee. I have both in 6 cav, I like the Miha better. JMO
    +1 on this I like the nose profile on the MP better. Both work well however.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    +1 on this I like the nose profile on the MP better. Both work well however.
    Someplace in the last couple days, I read that the Lee boolit is .015" longer than the original H&G design. That alone is reason enough to stay with one of the others. I may try to get a Mihec or maybe I'll hold off on that and try my H&G 4 cavity. It's a used mold I picked up at a gun show a few years ago. Looks to be in good condition, and with handles. Only paid $30.00 for for it. Maybe it will cast fast enough to keep me going for a while. Many thanks to everyone for the replies.

Boolit Master
    I have the LEE knock off about 1.5 years old and it dropped too small for my 45 revolvers. Dead on at .451 so I'm saving it for a 45ACP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast