RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: lite 30-30 load

Boolit Bub

lite 30-30 load

Which is the better powder for lite 30-30 loads? 30-31 or red dot. Want to keep around 1200 fps.

Boolit Master

Of the two choices given, I would say red dot. Personally, I would try unique.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Lyman 311008 over five grains of Red Dot gives me 1,225 fps. Very accuracy, low noise and zip for recoil. The grandkids love it.

Welcome to the forum pahermit.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    What are you using for a boolit? I'd avoid 3031 when your intent is to load in the 1200 fps range, especially with light boolits. I've never used Red Dot but I think it would work well for you. For loads in the 1200-1400 fps range I have used Green Dot and Unique with the Lyman 31008 and the Lee C309-113F weighing around 115 grains and the Lee C309-150F which weighs about 150 grains.
    Last edited by Maineboy; 03-29-2015 at 06:20 AM.
    Maineboy

Boolit Buddy
    Red dot. 6.2 grains under a 165 cast gives me just under 1100fps. Never tried another charge since that one shoots so well.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master

Plus one on Red Dot, unique is very good to. Used buckshot swaged to.309" under 6gr unique, good fun.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

I got this load from RKING22 here:

Lyman 311410 (throws 130 gr)
    6.0 gr Red Dot
    Win Large Rifle primer
    seat to crimp band

Has about same trajectory as 22 LR. No recoil. Same or less noise than 22 LR, doesn't seem to have the "crack" of 22LR. Accurate as all get out in Marlin 336, tried in 2 different 336 rifles. Will try in Win 94 later. I can load 2 of these compared top (1) 22LR, guess what I am shooting!! LOL

rmcc

7.0 grs. Red Dot,Wolf LR primer,Lee 170 or 150 gr. RNFP,two light coat of Lee Alox/JPW lube and no gas check. A fun load to shoot an very accurate to boot out of my old Sav. pump 30-30.

I just got back from the range. I'Ve been been shut out of my favorite powders --Unique, etc.--by hoarders, but I got a canister of Tite Group awhile back. With my 1903 Win. 94 I got a couple good groups. 173 grain Lee flat point, sized to .311,. 5 grains TG. That's with an old Lyman peep. The hole above the orange spot is from another rifle. I accidentally wrote Tite wad on the target.

Boolit Master
    I have been using solo1000, because I have a whole bunch of it. Dont have any red dot to try. Didnt see any different results with the S1000 than I did with unique. Tried some trailboss recently, but no real difference to not use the S1000.

Boolit Buddy
    I haven't started loading rifle rounds yet. I'm still cutting my teeth on straight-walled pistol cases.
    That said, I have the components and dies to load for the .30-30, just haven't tried it yet.
    That said, I've been reading some about it and have seen several people suggesting the new(er) Hornady offering, "LeveRevolution" powder.
    It lists .30-30 loads on the bottle.
    Does anyone have any experience with LeveRevolution powder?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I haven't started loading rifle rounds yet. I'm still cutting my teeth on straight-walled pistol cases.
    That said, I have the components and dies to load for the .30-30, just haven't tried it yet.
    That said, I've been reading some about it and have seen several people suggesting the new(er) Hornady offering, "LeveRevolution" powder.
    It lists .30-30 loads on the bottle.
    Does anyone have any experience with LeveRevolution powder?
    You might want to post your own separate question. This one is on light loads, and you might not get any answers right away. I think the powder you mention is mostly for higher velocity loads, and I hear it does very well. Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    You might want to post your own separate question. This one is on light loads, and you might not get any answers right away. I think the powder you mention is mostly for higher velocity loads, and I hear it does very well. Have fun.
    Well, see, this is why I asked.
    I did not realize that a "light-load" could not be worked up with this powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use any pistol/shotgun powder I have handy. They all work around 5.5-7gn.

Titegroup is my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    Well, see, this is why I asked.
    I did not realize that a "light-load" could not be worked up with this powder.
    Thats a good reason to ask then.. I could be wrong, (and I try really hard not to be), but LeveRevolution is a very powerful, high end powder. It's kind of it's claim to fame. It seems to produce more velocity in cartridges with a lower pressure level, such as 30-30 and 35 Remington. Lighter loads are generally better served by faster powders such as Bullseye, Unique, etc. When you say "light" in 30-30, I am thinking in the 1,500 fps. or so range. I doubt LeveRevolution would be happy operating at those pressures.

Give us your boolit of choice, and velocity range and we will be happy to help.