Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colt AR in 9mn, uzu mags?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lup View Post
    That's my understanding as well. Who else makes the Olympic pattern?
    I think you can modify Sten gun mags. Otherwise in my quick search all I found were Olympic mags no aftermarket.

Another option is to build one using a lower that takes Glock magazines.

http://www.quartercircle10.com/produ...l-frame-lower/

Took the 6951 out to the range today. Had 3 of the Colt mags with me. I should have numbered them.

I would get to the bottom of one mag, and the second to the last round would fire, and then do this:

I think it was just isolated to one mag, though.

At 25 yards, I thought this was a pretty good 10 shot group (upper right hand corner of green Avery label):

Let me know if those pics are too big.

Boolit Master

Good shooting! On the malfunction my guess would be that if it has a mag adapter in the lower that it needs to be lowered just the smallest amount.

Are these the new painted black mags or the old parked ones? I have a bunch of both along with converted UZI mags. It looks like it may be a spring/follower issue since it only happens on the next to last round. After you clear the jam, will the last round feed, fire and eject?

Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Are these the new painted black mags or the old parked ones? I have a bunch of both along with converted UZI mags. It looks like it may be a spring/follower issue since it only happens on the next to last round. After you clear the jam, will the last round feed, fire and eject?
    I don't know because I pull the mag first, then roll the gun over, and pull the bolt back to let go of the stovepiped shell.

I could swear the last round ends up rolling around inside the gun, and eventually falls out the bottom of the mag well.

I will keep an eye out next time.

Check the spring tension on that mag versus the ones that you know work. I would pull that spring out and stretch it a couple of inches and try it again. There also could be a bur inside the mag body or on the follower itself that is not letting the follower move to the top completely.

Thank you sir! Will do!

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting RN! I tried a 3x9 scope on my 10.5" 9mm the other day, and had fun poping milk jugs at 100 yards. It is a little more challenging than the 5.56, but still relatively easy to get a 9/10 hit ratio. I love the cost of shooting 9MM out of an AR. Cast hollow points makes for a great time at the range.

Thanks...

My uzi mags arrived today from that rtg link posted on the first page.

I will get some endmills tomorrow and some .010" shim stock and do this conversion:

https://youtu.be/zSFPeUouHcg

Boolit Master
    BTW, the C products 32 round stainless steel mags just popped back in stock over at Aim. $10.95, these are what I have been using. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e+SS+Magazines

Now I am interested in how they turn out RN. Are you simply going this route for cost, challenge, function, or the fact uzi mags are mostly pre ban?
    Last edited by xacex; 04-10-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Oh....poop! Did not know those C-product mags fit the Colt pattern.

I will get some endmills tomorrow and some .010" shim stock and do this conversion:

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post

The mags that came with your rifle could be C Products. Metalform made them for years then Colt switched to C Products and now are using Metalform again from what I have heard.

Boolit Master

Yup, same thing. No worries, you know where to get them cheap now. BTW, the c product do have a last round bolt hold open. Like I mentioned earlier I had to open up the mag catch hole slightly for mine because I am using a cheap conversion block. I just put a flat head screwdriver in the hole, and pulled the top lip out slightly.They are pretty beefy mags. Like I could use one for a hammer, or a club kind of beefy. Nice thing is they are stainless steel, and will last just about forever.

I have had no malfunctions, or any problem with the mags, but there is a writeup for those that do have an issue with them. Any of the problems you may run into are easily remedied. https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=15&t=616359

For future reference, any magazine outside of a glock lower used in a 9mm AR will be colt pattern. So take your pick. If it is for a 9mm AR it will work. Even the cheap plastic promag ones which some people really like. Not my thing I like stainless steel for these, but to each their own. There was only a few oddball out there like the Olympic arms, but you most likely won't run across them in a normal search for 9mm AR mags, and when you find them you wont like the price anyway. If you want something cool, and unique there are a few Suomi drums out there with a colt mag welded to them for the tower. I think they are 90 round.
    Last edited by xacex; 04-10-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    When CO passed the 15rnd mag capacity limit - but gave us several months to stock up before it took effect - I bought up a HUGE bunch of Uzi 25 and a few 32 rnd mags. Back when used surplus uzi mags were $1.99/ea I used to convert them for the Colt pattern AR 9mm.

But then Brownells had a sale on Genuine Metalform mags and I went and bought up gobs more of those (@ $19.99 ea. IIRC)

Even today you can get a 3 pack of 32rnd mags from Brownells for $74.99 - at that price it wasn't worth the effort to convert the Uzi mags.

I'll just save them for when I buy an Uzi SMG. Crazy isn't it, I can still buy the Uzi SMG here in CO, I just can't buy any magazines for it.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    BTW, the C products 32 round stainless steel mags just popped back in stock over at Aim. $10.95, these are what I have been using. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...e+SS+Magazines

Now I am interested in how they turn out RN. Are you simply going this route for cost, challenge, function, or the fact uzi mags are mostly pre ban?
    Daaannnggg! All sold out of the C-products mags at Aim Surplus.

Boolit Master
    Daaannnggg! All sold out of the C-products mags at Aim Surplus.

Put your email in to be notified. They sell out pretty fast because of the price.Looks like 4 days this time. I am waiting on the 20's to come in myself. I have enough of the 32 rounders to last me a while. I wish they had some 10 rounders for cheap for when I visit family in California. I keep a lower with a bullet button for my trips to the desert down there and the 9mm AR is the cheapest thing I have to shoot that will cycle semi auto.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I just buy the new AR-15/M16 10rd and 32rd 9mm magazines with steel followers from Brownells for $27.99

I don't like the plastic followers in the C-Products mags
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Thanks Timspawn, that is about the best price I have ever seen on 10 rounders. Usually they go for about $25-30 all the way up to $45 per mag. I does not make sense that a smaller capacity magazine would cost more especially since these use less material to make.

Bonz, never had a problem with the plastic follower. To each their own. I do not think over double the price for something because of the follower is worthwhile, but it apparently makes a difference to some. Like Glock vs, 1911, but I love both equally. The follower is dense material, and thick and will probably live as long as the mag body. If you have a dog that chews on your mags, or run your mags in fire I could see the value.
    Last edited by xacex; 04-13-2015 at 05:09 PM.