RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout a good cast bullet round?

Picked mine up late yesterday, couldn't resist trying some of the Lee soup cans I had loaded. It has issues feeding them! I loaded them long as I thought I could crimped in the first grease grove, but the flat nose hits squarely on the edge instead of dropping the barrel. I only shot 3 will try more later but it doesn't look good for feeding flat nose bool its.

Shot a few more in my Ruger American 300 blk. Lee C309-113F GC lubed with Ben's Red and BLL, 4 gr 231. Still having feeding problems. I'm going to try a different boolit next.

Sorry about the photo orientation don't know how to change on here yet.

Banned

we had the ruger out for the first time today, I noticed it's feeding quirks right off.

the rcbs 30-165 silhouette boolit fed perfectly from the magazine, but was iffy when single feeding.
    the 311359 fed either way just fine, but wasn't quite as accurate.
    I was pushing it a bit faster though because of the weight difference [and the wife was shooting it for the first time which would account for some of the accuracy loss]

Boolit Grand Master
    Another plus for a bolt action 300 BO is that I can go to the range and shoot 100 rounds easily(mines a single shot action)and if the wind isn't blowing too much, hit our 7" steel target @ 500yds easily. The guys shooting their 300 WM get a bit tired after awhile and have a bit of trouble hitting the gong.

Boolit Master
    I like the blackout. It is cheap to shoot, and cases can be made from range pickups. People like to compare it to a 308 and say it does nothing that the 308 cant do, but I have to disagree. The twist on a 308 is 1/10 vs 1/7 or 1/8 in blackout. That lets you stabilize a much heavier bullet. Cases are cheaper, and not as bulky for a small charge of powder that subsonic uses. The blackout also fills that super sonic mid range velocity well without having to step up to a larger case. Sure, you wont get the velocity of a 30-30 with a 170 grain boolit maxed out, or a 308, but for lighter game you don't need that anyway. For me the blackout works well for deer size game and below. I have got deer with a 8.5" blackout and they don't go more than 20 yards. All of my blackout firearms are semis (3) but I would not mind adding a bolt action to the mix. I have even thought about adding a side charger to one of the AR;s to make it a straight pull action. Why you ask? Because nothing is quieter than Red Dot behind a NOE 247 out of a suppressor out there. Well, until it connects on the other side.

I recently purchased an AR16 upper in 300 blackout. I intend to hunt deer with it using full loads and sierra 125 gr. hp bullets and enforcer pistol powder. Has anyone tested thee enforcer power in 300 bo brass? I would appreciate any help and advice I can get. thank you

Boolit Buddy
    Being that it's a pistol powder I doubt that it will be able to cycle the gun. I could be wrong as I've never used that powder.
    I use Lil'Gun in my 300 blackout with good success.

Boolit Master

https://sierrabulletsblog.com/2017/1...out-load-data/

Free load data from your choice of bullet manu. even lists your powder choice as well......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

AA1680 and W296/H110 will push that bullet to hunting speed for deer. I don’t think Enforcer will.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderEd View Post
    I recently purchased an AR16 upper in 300 blackout. I intend to hunt deer with it using full loads and sierra 125 gr. hp bullets and enforcer pistol powder. Has anyone tested thee enforcer power in 300 bo brass? I would appreciate any help and advice I can get. thank you

Look at pg 63 in the loading manual PDF
    https://www.ramshot.com/load-data/
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Banned

I have 3 BO ar15s. I love them. the reason I do is cast bullets. I can shoot full power 130 cast into 2 inches at a 100 yards ALOT cheaper then I can shoot even surplus ball 556 bullet handloads. Then I can switch ammo to a barnes 110 and hunt deer out to 200 yards tommarow. Or slap on a can and load some heavys subsonic and play that way. My take on a ruger American. I shot my buddys a couple weeks ago it was loaded with that lee heavy (don't know the exact bullet) we were hitting a 10 inch steel plate at 300 yards EVERY shot. Cool thing with the closed bolt is it was even noticeably quieter then my ars with a can. Its sounded about like a pellet rifle and. All you heard was a pop then a clang as it hit the steel. Versatility!! Last deer season his daughter took a 6 pointer and a doe with that rifle using nos bts. I took two does doing crop damage shooting this year with my 16 inch gun. One up close and one well past a 150 yards both one shot kills that the deer never traveled more then 25 yards. After I shot his American I walked away with it right at the top of my next gun purchase list. In my opinion you have to look pretty hard to find a better medium bore cast bullet spitter then a BO.

Banned

If im not mistake enforcer is very close to aa9 in burning speed. I have surplus wc820 which is aa9 and it works great. Hard to find data for it but the load I settled on gets a 130 up to 2100 fps and 110s to 2300 out of a 16 inch gun and has single digit extreme spreads and will put 5 110 barnes x bullets into groups at a 100 yards out of my cheap psa gun that if I told you what they were id be called a lier. Don't let anyone tell you it wont work. It works VERY WELL and the added benefit to those of us who shoot cast to save money is you use 25 percent less then if you use 110 or 1680. Ive probably shot at least 3k of them through my 3 ars just this summer. Not a single flatten primer or problem of any kind. It even burns super clean.

Banned
    My FFL has several H&R AAC 300 BO and a can. He loves 311-247-FN NOE over 4+ grns 700X.

super quiet, extremely accurate and hits hard

Ed - might try the speer 150 BO GD for deer. Expands @ 1400 supposedly with 0.4 something BC. Groups good from my carbine @ 100, ~ 1900 fps.
    Whatever!

It is a great cast bullet shooter. It is also just fun to shoot.

Between this thread and a pile of brass, I’m going to have to get another American Ranch rifle. As much fun as my Savage 340 in 30/30 is with cast, the 300AAC just seems like fun. My 5.56 Ranch rifle is a lot of fun and very handy to have.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Blue be careful the blk out so much fun in bolt pretty soon you will be like me and build one in 30x223 they are fun rounds to play with and good for lot of things

IMHO, the 1:7 twist in most rifles is a mistake. I've shot 220 UMC subs from 1:10 carbine, no problem with accuracy. 180 cast (RD) work too (supers). First BO I got was supposed to be 1:9 but turned out 1:7, passed it to SIL. Even my 1:8 10" pistol works fine sub or super. Subs without a can are still noisy. Ammo is available now from 110 to 240 gr factory stuff, lots of cases at the range now - mix seems 50/50 BO/x39. Most of the rest is 223. Shooters are about 50/50 sub/supers now, most hog hunters and several deer hunters are using 125, 110 and 150 supers. 40Wt and 30 hammer are becoming popular - more powder. 30/30 and 308W get shot once in a while to prevent loneliness. And are much harder on the wallet and shoulder, even with cast.
    350 legend is sort of a joke to me. Why not just a short 45/70 or 10mm carbine. Specs on the 350 (fps & distance) are supposedly better than 30/30 or equal, so why they restrict to 2" .357 straight wall is beyond me. Easier for game wardens to verify?
    Last edited by popper; 10-01-2019 at 01:07 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Well,, did the 300 Blackout die!!?? I think I searched correctly,, (maybe not?) but, all I can find on this forum is posts that are over a year old,,
    I have had my PSA 300 Blackout close to two years, now, I think I need to learn a little about casting for the gun,,
    I do like shooting heavier bullets, ALL that I have reloaded are 210 grain Sierra MK's,,

I did not want to start a new thread,, if I am beating a dead horse,, so, is there still love for the 300 Blackout!!??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast