Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300 Blackout a good cast bullet round?

I shoot jacketed in my AR's. I have the American mentioned earlier in this thread and it would not feed the cast bullets I wanted to hunt with. They are are a flat nose design. I have a Handi that shoots well with 110 gr cast bullets. The Ruger likes them too. It's a nice plinker with those bullets.

I had the first version of the Ruger American Ranch with a rotary mag. It would not feed ANY ammo reliably from the mag. I tried three new mags before surrendering. After reading good comments about the newer Ruger that uses AR magazines, I tried and later bought the Ruger with an AR magazine. The AR mag version runs really well with the 30-30 Bullets.

The loads that I shoot the most are Red Dot or Trail Boss for Subsonic speeds, and Alliant 2400 for supersonic. I have only fired the 150 grain plated 30-30 bullet from Berry Bullets. The supersonic load is a 1 moa load at 100yards. The subsonic loads group nicely at 50 yards.

In the bolt gun, you have a lot of bullet and powder combinations available that will provide acceptable accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I guess I got lucky. I traded a buddy out of one for $300, put a Burris 3x9x40 with ballistic reticle. It loves a 220 gr Sierra loaded subsonic, and will put 5 of them in a hole about 3/4" at 100yds. I also got mine to shoot the lee FN 170gr lubed with alox and pushed by trail boss into 1 1/4" groups at 100yds.

Boolit Master

Same here. I have a very early RARR in 300 with that rotary mag everyone complains about...

I had ONE that was a bit temperamental. Disassembled and re wound and aside from breaking off the lil tab and having to glue it together... Its working 100%.

Yea there are some very blunt/FP 30/30 bullets that wont feed. But they hit the back of the barrel. Most all feed fine including the 165 RD that I like.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I love my MP 311-235 (224grs). Perfect for PC, perfect feeding from Ruger rotary magazine of Ranch 300 BLK, accurate and kills equally well. Beats Sub-X at 1000fps.

Wow, a chamois with a 300 BLK! Very cool!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by timspawn View Post
    Wow, a chamois ,,,,,,,,,,, Very cool!
    Did you save some of the chamois to dry your car with it??
    That is what I do with my chamois,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMk View Post
    Did you save some of the chamois to dry your car with it??
    That is what I do with my chamois,,,,,,,

Steaks and we also make “chamois soup” as a special local speciality. It was 110m shoot.

Boolit Master

Gamsek :

What powder and how many grains are you using?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

300 Blackout a good cast bullet round?

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Gamsek :

What powder and how many grains are you using?
    12grs of VihtaVuori N120 for 360 m/s, after seeing excellent groups I never bother to go faster (I did but only for bullet expansion testing with 20:1 and 10:1 alloy). Also now for all my loads under 1350fps I don’t use GC - still accurate.

Purple 10:1 alloy around 1325 fps, blue 20:1 alloy at that speed

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I had the first version of the Ruger American Ranch with a rotary mag. It would not feed ANY ammo reliably from the mag. I tried three new mags before surrendering. After reading good comments about the newer Ruger that uses AR magazines, I tried and later bought the Ruger with an AR magazine. The AR mag version runs really well with the 30-30 Bullets.

The loads that I shoot the most are Red Dot or Trail Boss for Subsonic speeds, and Alliant 2400 for supersonic. I have only fired the 150 grain plated 30-30 bullet from Berry Bullets. The supersonic load is a 1 moa load at 100yards. The subsonic loads group nicely at 50 yards.

In the bolt gun, you have a lot of bullet and powder combinations available that will provide acceptable accuracy.
    same thing here. My rotary fed one was junk. Sent it back for the third time for them to deal with it and they finaly sent me a new ar mag model and that one feeds great.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 11-12-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Gamsek:

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who enjoys building AR style rifles. He does a lot of 300 Blackout; but has been using jacketed bullets. He is interested in doing some cast in the 300 Blackout but has no experience in Cast so I am doing some research for him to collect information before I bring samples of 5 to 12 Cast bolts for him to work on reloading with. After that if he remains interested; we may have a casting party.

I do not have a 300 Blackout, and have never used any Vihtavouri powder; but looking at a burn rate chart it is close to Winchester 748, IMR 4198, H322, and BLC2. I have a good store of these powders so we should be able to work up some loads to test this winter. Thanks once again.

Attachment 271271
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Been waiting for my 300 ruger to show up, but do have the same rifle in 7.63x39 to play with. Now that I've kinda figured out the PC thing this ought to get a hoot. I do have a 300 ar, but can't seem to talk myself into using cast in it. Yesterday I did make up some dummys with the lee 150 fn, 160 tl, 185 rn, & 200 rn. They all cycled fine, worked by hand. Do have some loaded with a 311410 lubed & checked ahead of 4 gr of red dot.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123