MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout a good cast bullet round?

Boolit Master

300 Blackout a good cast bullet round?

May trade into a new Ruger 300 BO Ranch rifle. Is it a good cast gun? i load for my 30-06 American Enfield now. I shoot 50 yrds with it. Thanks

http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...ch/models.html

What's the point in a bolt 300BO? Makes sense for an AR.

Boolit Master
    Wrong! That's like asking 'why do you need another gun?' or 'why do you need another mold?'.

Boolit Master

There is nothing wrong with a bolt 300 blackout. If shooting subsonic, you can load some VERY quiet loads with fast pistol powder, loads that will not cycle in an AR. Some cast boolits do not feed well in an AR as well. Will a 300 BO bolt rifle do anything that a 308 won't do? Probably not, but the smaller case is easier to work with when loading subsonic ammo. I have a 300 whisper Remington 700 and much prefer shooting it over a 300 BO rifle or 300 BO pistol.

Brad

Boolit Buddy
    The NOE 247gr bullet is an excellent cast option for subsonic 30 cal shooting no matter what case it is in. The bolt action 300 doesn't get you anything you can't already do in a 308 but as already mentioned it can be a little easier to work with the reduced case capacity depending on your powder choice.

If you're not looking for subsonic and don't care... then you can play around a bit with the lighter cast bullets and get good results there. Once nice thing is using W296 or H110 with 150ish gr bullets and shooting rifle for extremely cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
    The bolt action 300 doesn't get you anything you can't already do in a 308
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    A few things. Does it with smaller case capacity(less powder) and is optimal for heavy long bullets that would choke in a cleanly chambered 06' or 308. BUT, feeding can be an issue with certain bullets because of the extreme variation in COAL. Honestly, I prefer 30-30 in a savage 340 for cast.

Boolit Master
    It's throated for longer heavier bullets, smaller case space leading it to be a efficient round in the class it's in, short short action, and it's a tad but diff than daddy's hunting round. To me there's a mystic to the blackout round. Would I get a bolt one prob not but I also can't or won't do red dot loads in my ar15 aac bc I'm not yanking my charging handle all day long but if I was into the bolt I'd use unique, red dot etc

Boolit Master
    My experience with the cartridge and others in very accurate boltguns is that both the .30 BR. and the .308 Win. are better cast bullet cals. and more accurate, the 30/30 and 30/06 have more potential as well, but lack accurate rifles...compared to the rifles I used to test the smaller .30s.

the 308x1.5 could be loaded down to 300BO velocity with a little pistol powder , I have a friend that did it for a cougar hunt, his thoughts were he didn't want to tear the cat up and they were using hounds so the cat would be in a tree I don't recall the powder but a 220 cast bullet was the pill of choice, today the cat is still laying on a log in his trophy room

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    it was designed for the AR platform but in a bolt gun is still a good cartridge and as for down loading 308 it can be a challenge especially if doing subsonic with pistol powders and shooting up inclines or down into ditches - you can get extremely erratic velocity variations.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

It is a very accurate cast boolit shooter in both our AR uppers. Very fun to shoot and cheap to reload. In a bolt or single shot I don't think I would have as much interest, but then I have other bolt guns I shoot cast in.

Banned

I have the AAC bolt gun and I'm looking at getting the ruger for the wife.

try loading 3.5grs of 700-x under a 230gr plain base cast boolit in your 308 and let us know how that works out for ya.

I have some 308's and 30-06's and 30-30's, the 300 fills a niche the others can't quite get to. [guess that's why I had the 30 xcb built too]
    the only thing that comes close is the 357 and since I'd have to buy a rifle either way I opted for the faster twist rate of the 300 to shoot slow big boolits out of.

Boolit Master
    I thought the same on the "why". I now have 3. An SBR, carbine length, and an encore. My favorite walking gun by far for SE woods. Have killed numerous hogs, deer, and vermin to date. I have designed 3 boolits and one bullet. 2 expanding at subsonic. It is the quietest suppressed platform I have fired to date. Check out my video on www.weidnercustom.com. the video hardly does it justice as I have heard many suppressed subsonic rimfires that were louder and mine is 220 grains and expands.

I also make a 190 expanding bullet I swage for my suppressed .308 but it is nothing in comparison to the versatility and handiness of my SBR. I enjoy the BO platform so much I built a double stamper. Cheap brass, little powder, SD in the teens. MOA to 268 suppressed subsonic in my encore. I could write a thesis.....

Sorry rant over
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    Yes and better in a bolt gun and when it was called 300-221 Fireball or 300 Whisper the original wildcat names.
    Last edited by 3006mv; 05-03-2015 at 11:09 PM.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master
    I'd say it is. Cheap brass and efficient case size for cast bullets. I would rather have a bolt action than a semi. But I would rather a 7mm TCU, not being particularly interested in a silencer. Better ballistics and easier brass conversion. I wish it were more popular.

I have a H&R single shot in .300 Blackout, I actually thought I'd never shoot the thing, bought it as an investment.

Threw a cheap Red Dot type sight on it, thought I'd sight it in for my wife to play with.

Out to 50 that little rifle was sweet, beyond that I had trouble because of my eyes not anything the rifle did.

In the process I bought the HF cut off saw and the jig, amazingly easy to make brass from .223 pickups. Which is one thing your .308 won't do. I discovered the joys of 4-5 grains of Red Dot behind everything from 93 grain little pills, 155 gr gas checked bullets, and 185 grain killers. They maybe slow, but they get there just fine.

On top of the other attributes my Handi Blackout is only 16.5" barrel, is threaded for suppressor, weights a bit over 5 pounds.
    So you have a light weight, short, extremely handy rifle, great for a woods walk and anything from woodchucks and coons up to deer.

And if you cast your own bullets it shoots for less than .22lr with a very respectable THUMP on the far end.

On top of that, it is pretty quiet, and recoil is hardly even noticed.

I'm still breaking mine in, but it has become of of my favorites to take to the range. I'm not getting 1 MOA accuracy out of it yet, but if I was aiming at a pop can at 50 yards it would get hit. Easy to shoot, easy to reload, more fun than .22lr at less cost.

Now I don't have access to a chrony, yet. But at even 1000 fps that 185 gr bullet is going to leave a mark.

To me the real key to shooting a rifle accurately, is to shoot it a LOT.
    With .30-30, .308, and .30-36 going a buck a shot most places that can be a little hard to do.

Not to mention I only paid 221$ for it new, add shipping, FFL fee, and a Simmons scope and I'm still under 300$.

You sold me on the idea. I have a Ruger American on the way in 300 AAC.. I was going to start casting for my 6.5 Grendal but what your saying on this thread makes more sense. If I like it, my AR in 300 AAC WILL be for sale.

Boolit Master
    Just got another suppressor out of can jail. It was intended to be dedicated for the encore in BO. Somehow it spends more time on the SBR. Oh well time for another stamp. This time I may go titanium. Either way I am not parting with ANY of my blackouts! Yes they are stupid quiet.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

I bought a Ruger American Ranch on Saturday off of GB. If it likes cast, I will keep it copper free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast