Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Relining a skinny .22 barrel?

Boolit Master

Relining a skinny .22 barrel?

I have an unmarked single shot .22LR with a skeleton metal stock and a barrel that rotates out to load it. I *think* it is an old Garcia Bronco (if I recall the name correctly).

Anyway, the bullets are hitting sideways at 25 yards (when they hit the target at all). I even ordered a replacement barrel years ago from Gun Parts Corp., but it has the same problem.

I'm wondering if the barrel can be relined. The diameter of the 16-inch barrel is .450.

Yes, I fully realize that, if it can be done, the cost far outweighs the value of the rifle. However, it was my brother's (RIP) so its sentimental value is high. Besides, having a rifle that can't hit a large target at 25 yards annoys me.

Does anyone here do this, or knows of a 'smith who would consider this project?

Many thanks,
    Richard

Boolit Master

What ammo have you tried?

I have an early Bronco, too. I haven't fired it in years, but recall it to have been pretty accurate, even with the lousy sights. I judge it too slender for relining. One thing you could try (under the assumption that your bore is clean), easier and less expensive, would be one of the tools for expanding the bullet diameter. One is Paco Kelly's tool: pacotools.com .

The top of the line is the Waltz die set. Take a look at this thread for more info: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/...?topic=34390.0

Boolit Master
    If I can't find someone who can reline the barrel, another possible solution occurred to me. Since my 'smith has already done a similar odd job for me, he might be able to turn a take-off barrel from a 10/22 (or other skinny .22 barrel) down to .450. I'll ask him.

Cheers,
    Richard

IME, a rimfire rifle that keyholes bullets has usually suffered one of two things: a leaded bore (scrub the bore with a stiff/bronze brush & a good solvent), or rifling wear at the muzzle (from working a cleaning rod from the muzzle).

If a good bore scrubbing/lead removal doesn't cure the issue, then I would suggest you do whatever it takes to slightly shorten the barrel & recrown the muzzle at the shorter length.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had two of the same rifle, where the barrel rotates to load.
    Neither one shot very accurately even when they were new, they got traded off.
    I tried several things to make them shoot, nothing worked.

Your barrel is already minimum non-Class 3 length so clean it good and recrown the muzzle if necessary. Failing that, you might try counterboring the muzzle far enough to re-establish a concentric bore.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    Was that a new barrel from Numrich? If so, that one behaving the same way is what I find odd, and it probably eliminates the possible causes, such as wear or bad crowning, you might find in a heavily used or abused barrel. It isn't old enough to be chambered for the French 6mm. rimfire or the .22 WRF. I don't suppose... I don't want to insult your intelligence, but all the bases have to be covered... you have been firing .22LR in a .22 Magnum barrel?

I agree that this barrel is thinner than really ought to be lined. At the muzzle, fine, but if I have the right schematic online, it is that diameter all the way back, where pressure is higher. I don't know just how the barrel fits into the receiver, but it might be that you could do something with a 1/2in. liner tube from www.trackofthewolf.com . With the soft bullet of .22LR you could probably get good accuracy with the 1/2in. diameter centrefire liner. The rimfire liners are 3/8in., but if you sleeved them into 1/in. outer, 1/16in wall cold drawn seamless tubing, you would have a useful little bit more wall thickess.

Boolit Bub
    I am doing a 25 20 at the moment and don't have much wall thickness left. Actually this is fine. There is plenty on the breech end where the pressure is..I have done many 22s and they all have shot wonderfully.

Boolit Master
    Finally went the turn-down-a-10/22-barrel way. It works perfectly. Not match accuracy, but it doesn't keyhole and it does create a reasonable 25-yard group using the very poor iron sights. Hmmm... Maybe have my 'smith make a scope mount.

Cheers,
    Richard