Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Interesting Mauser action aquired

Boolit Bub

Interesting Mauser action aquired

I reccently traded a beat yugo 24/7 reciever for a Czech M1933 small ring MOD 98 action. It has an interesting import marking, On the front of the receiver ring there is half circle with what looks like a wolf and a lion head and the word DORKEN under it. Turns out this was a canadian hardware store company Dorken Bros. Co (montreal) that imported rifles in the 50's and 60's. Its a complete number matched action but lacks a barrel. It doesn't have much finish left but othe than that appears to be pristine and has a factory bent bolt handle.

This makes my second small ring mod 98I have a super bubbarized Peruvian (czech 1932) drilled tapped, clip guide ground off, bolt handle welded back on with nickle rod ect. And it also is in need of a rebarreling after I removed the 7.65 barrel that someone altered with a .30-06 reamer.

The good news is I have an original Swedish mauser 6.5 barrel from an M96 (cut down very slightly) and a M94 carbine barrel in the mail on its way from texas. Now the carbine barrel was one of those imported in the 60's that has a piece attached to the end. I will simply part if off and recrown the muzzle. think ill put it on the peruvian action and the long barrel on the M33 unless someone decides they need the action worse than I do.

What do you all know about small ring 98's?

Jonny

Boolit Master

Love to.see some pics.

Boolit Grand Master

The Peruvian conversion to .30-06 was done by Peru. I have one like it -
    .311-06, I call it.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Both of the small ring 98's that I have been around are Erfurt 98a's from 1917 or 18. The one I rebarreled has large ring threads, despite being small ring actions. I do not know how the later actions are set up.

Robert

Boolit Master

I've got a T99 that has been rechambered from 7.7 Arisaka to 7.7-06 or as I call it also 311-06. Use the right size bullet and dang!!!! super accurate. Use a commercial 308 bullet, see 4-6 MOA but in the deer woods, its still good enough to thump a deer in the ribs...

A lot of Turkish Mausers are Large Ring receivers with small ring threaded actions... I have one I rebarreled to 308 Win that is a sweet shooter as well.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Is the Czech 33 the action the Germans used for their 33/40 mountain carbine?
    If so I think these are not quite the same dimensions as the true small ring Mausers.

Boolit Master
    Heres what i found on the G33/40 barrel shank.

diameter is the same as the 96 swedish Mauser sgank at .980 with the same 12 TPI. The length of the shank is not the same. The swede shank is .645" in length, the 33/40 shank is .625 in length.

You could shorten the swede barrel shank and rechamber or perhaps turn a breeching washer of the necessary thickness to take up the slack.

That is if the action you speack of has the same dimensions as the 33/40.

Boolit Bub
    Damn Sir!
    You appear to be right! I just tried to screw the Swedish mauser barrel I have into my new VZ-33 action and it stops short! Sure enough it runs out of threads!!!!

But it screws right onto the Peruvian 1932 (VZ-32) looks like things have just started to get interesting AGAIN!

The only Small Ring Model 98's I've had were a couple of the S&W-branded models (Model A, B, C & D, IIRC) made by Husqvarna, which were nice, lightweight, & accurate.

Boolit Master
    If you trimmed a Swede Barrel shank to fit the 33 action you might then rechamber it to the shorter .260 Remington that seems to have a lot of followers.
    It would no longer be a milsurp chambering, but good boxer primed milsurp ammo is not that cheap and plentiful these days. .260 Remington ammo ammo should be available at most gunshops or sporting goods departments.
    Not sure but I think milsurp 7.62 NATO cases can be reformed to .260, and theres plenty of boxer primed 7.62 and 308 ammo out there.

If you ran across a small ring Spanish Mauser barrel in .308/7.62 that would be another option.

Yes, the .260 Remington's parent case is the .308 Winchester - just like the .243 Win, .338 Federal, & the .358 Winchester.

A happy family.............................

Boolit Master
    The difference in length to shoulder of the .260 compared to the 6.5X55 chamber suggests that besides trimming the breech end of the shank the barrel shoulder would also be set back a bit, though there should be plenty of shoulder there to work with.

Of the two barrels you have available I'd use the longer barrel with the 33 action, for getting the best out of which ever cartridge chambering you decide on.
    If this is the really light weight action I'd turn the barrel down to a slender light sporter profile while I was at it. Find a stock or blank of one of the lighter grades of wood and you have the makings of a very light weight custom sporter suitable for carrying all day if necessary.

Boolit Master
    According to this the Model 32 Action should be identical to the model 33 action and the G33/40.

This was followed a few years later by the Modelo 1932 short rifle and carbine from the same source. The Modelo 1932 is a very special rifle. This Mauser uses the special small ring Model 98 pattern action as the Czech Treasury Police VZ33 Carbine and the German issued G33/40 Carbine employed by the Mountain Troops of the Wehrmact.
    http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/riflesofperu1.html

The Swede barrel may not actually fit as it should, you should check to see if the bolt still closes with the barrel in place.