MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: .45 Colt Jumpin' Crimp

Boolit Master

.45 Colt Jumpin' Crimp

I've got myself a dandy little NOE hollow point mould (drops 230 with HP pins). The bullets are a bit long. They fit with room to spare in my Redhawk and Blackhawk, but just barely fit in my little titanium snubie Taurus.

They work fine in my hawks but jump out just a tad in the Taurus, enough to lock it up tight.

The bullet I like to use is 100% pure lead that has been powder coated.

I see a few things I could try.

1. Crimp it more. I think this may not work simply because they are so soft.
    2. Switch to a harder alloy.
    3. Switch to another bullet design that gives me more room in the cylinder.
    4. Switch to a lighter bullet.
    5. Back off on the powder charge. Currently it's a max charge with HS6 for a standard pressure load.

What would you guys try first?

Boolit Master
    Start with the two easiest first. Adjust the crimp on ten rounds and check for leading or more crimp jumping. If that doesn't work, drop the charge a grain. If still no joy, then work on the more complicated stuff like adjusting your alloy. It's prolly the fact that it's a lighter weight revolver than the other two.

Boolit Buddy
    I would adjust crimp first.Next measure your case after expanding,if to big reduce expander about .001 and try again.About .002 of interference should work.YMMV

Boolit Master

Are you using a Lee factory crimp die? If so, you may be sizing the boolits inside the case and this is causing your problem.

Brad

I've noticed some brass in 45 Colt is not sized enough to securely hold 452 boolits. You might try sizing down to boolit depth with a 45 ACP sizer. Bet that solves your problem. Did mine, anyway.

Boolit Master
    Getting a crimp is only part of the process. The shell case needs to be the correct size to hold the bullet. I think your sizing die is not doing the correct job.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Banned

Boolits too soft for case tension so if you expand less you will just size the boolit. More crimp just scrapes the boolit too when it tries to open the crimp.
    The light gun boolit pull shows up faster but I bet there is some movement in the others that you don't notice, bad for accuracy!
    If shooting for fun or paper, there is no need for soft lead. Until you get tension you are beating a dead dog.

Boolit Master

I agree with Kevin,I have made the mistake of not sizing new brass.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Buddy

I just got a NOE 265 GC mold. It has a good crimping groove and seems very secure. I bought the mold for my 460 but I just loaded some in 45 Colt and they shot great with no movement.

Boolit Grand Master

My thinking is with such a light revolver and near max loads you can do two things; reduce the recoil and/or increase the tension on the bullet. Personally, I'd reduce the load a bit (a max. load for a light CC gun ain't really necessary).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    230 grains is kind of light for the .45 Colt, in my mind anyway, what is the diameter of the boolit and your neck expander? I don't think a heavier crimp will help; but more neck tension will, if the boolit is hard enough not to size down when seated.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I'm using Starline brass, each one has been shot about 4 or five times. My dies are Hornady with a seating/roll crimp die.

Bullets are sized .452.

The HS6 loads kick pretty hard. My standard target load is just a dash of tightgroup, but I don't have much of that powder left.

The soft bullet at high speeds was my attempt at reliable expansion for self-defense.

I'm not sure what size expander I have. I'll have to get my calipers on it.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any data on my Taurus 450 yet, but from my 3.75" Vaquero I have a few records.

250 LRNFP 10.4 HS6 864fps
    210 LRNFP 7.0 Tightgroup 828fps
    260 Keith 6.0 Tightgroup 738fps
    255 LRN Winchester Factory 738fps
    255 LRNFP 5.4 Tightgroup 638fps

None of these are the current load in question, and the Taurus has a shorter barrel that is ported so I'd expect speeds to be less.

So how much speed do you think I'd need with a pure lead bullet with a generous HP?

Boolit Master

You already have a .45, how much expansion do you need?
    God Bless, Whisler

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    You provided the loading information but not your equipment which is the most important factor in trying to help you with your problem.
    What dies are you using, How much are you opening the case mouth ? If using new brass, what brand of brass are you using? Are you sizing the new brass before loading? What are your case dimensions on the finished ammo? How much are you belling the case mouth?
    The answer to your problem lies in these questions.
    I would also not worry about trying to get a bullet to expand when hitting a human target. The US Armed Forces have used the 45 ACP for over 100 years with a 230 grain copper clad bullet at around 850 FPS with about a 100% kill factor. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

In Remembrance

An alloy of 50/50 lead/ww will give plenty of expansion with your velocity and will be hard enough to hold a crimp.imho

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    230 grains is kind of light for the .45 Colt, in my mind anyway, what is the diameter of the boolit and your neck expander? I don't think a heavier crimp will help; but more neck tension will, if the boolit is hard enough not to size down when seated.

Robert
    But thats as a HP. I'm guessing its the same profile as a 250g boolit so will be fine. Not sure why they are "a bit long" for Rugers my 2 Blackhawks chamber about anything but my Redhawk gets issues with huge metplat 300s. The tapered 340g cast nose of the LEE 340 however fits with room to spare. Cant comment on anything Braztech makes.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm going to go with a powder change and an alloy change for the Taurus.

Here's my why it's a light gun and you have a dead soft bullet. I doubt you can get enough crimp to stop the walk . So a slightly harder boolit in this case about 25% WW and heat treat (water dropping will do probably) . This will make the hard enough to resist the jump but still soft enough to expand. I o ly used a little bit of HS6 in a 9mm it seems like a good closed breach powder. The trick with powders is to choose 1 that is low pressure but will burn up mostly in the bbl. At this point it looks like you have a 2 1/2 bbl 45 Colts that's going to be rough to find .

Just thinking out loud here for the snubbie maybe a Schofield loading and case would be better suited. 1st you get a tenth of an inch or so for jump to beat the tie-up. 2nd you can still hit ACP performance, which is about all you will get anyway . 3rd it will burn less powder to do it. Just thinking a little.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .