RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: Any Quackenbush owners out there?

Boolit Buddy

Any Quackenbush owners out there?

I have been drooling over these things since I found the web-site a few years ago but so far I haven't been able to justify the cost in my own mind.
    I want to think they would be worth the money, but I'd really like to see some real-world reviews from actual owners instead of just the reviews on their web-site.

These are supposed to be capable of bringing down BISON!
    I think these things would be almost perfect in a SHTF scenario, IF they work as advertised.

So, anyone here able to offer any first-hand knowledge of these?

www.quackenbushairguns.com

Nice rifles and would not mind having one. What has always kept me from jumping onto the high pressure compressed air gun bandwagon is the cost involved. The Quackenbush rifles are reasonable priced rifles compared to most other PCPs, getting a compressor is what costs some coin. I would shoot it enough to loathe a manual foot pump. With the big bore guns you are usually only looking at 1 or 2 full power shots per fill. "Real" guns are cheaper and more fun. For SHTF you are still better with components to make your own ammo. Air rifles to me are a hobby.

I watched the video of the guy whom shot the Bison. Not ethical at all IMO. He shot it and it stood there forever until it hit the ground and even longer until it died. Tells me there is not enough gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Nice rifles and would not mind having one. What has always kept me from jumping onto the high pressure compressed air gun bandwagon is the cost involved. The Quackenbush rifles are reasonable priced rifles compared to most other PCPs, getting a compressor is what costs some coin. I would shoot it enough to loathe a manual foot pump. With the big bore guns you are usually only looking at 1 or 2 full power shots per fill. "Real" guns are cheaper and more fun. For SHTF you are still better with components to make your own ammo. Air rifles to me are a hobby.

I watched the video of the guy whom shot the Bison. Not ethical at all IMO. He shot it and it stood there forever until it hit the ground and even longer until it died. Tells me there is not enough gun.
    I can't say I disagree with a single word you've said.
    I too would shoot it far more than a foot pump would supply, and the cost of the scuba pump (my understanding of the favored method of charging the high-pressure airguns) was another detriment.

I also agree it was not the ideal method for dispatching a large animal, or any animal for that matter.
    Still, I was referring to the worst-case scenario, like when powders and primers are no longer available.

I have a couple of .177 and .22 cal airguns, but they are break-barrels. Spring action pellet guns are great for harvesting tree rats and bunnies.
    Larger game for food would require a bit more oomph than my current airguns would provide.

I am interested in examples of the PCP's you're referring to.
    I doubt I'll jump on one, but it's always nice to weigh your options.

A lot of guys get compressed air tanks from a supplier to supply air to the rifle. Once the PSI on the tank goes down you either use a hand pump to fill the gun up the rest of the way or get the tank filled. I would not know where to get tanks filled in my area, scuba is not popular in my area. I don't think my welding supply dealer I get welding gas from carries it or if they carry nitrogen. Even then I am leasing the tank, buying my own tanks and running back and forth for fills. Paintball is not as popular here as it once was but even when it was finding a place that could fill even a 3k psi compressed air tank was impossible, it was hard enough getting my Co2 tanks filled. Of course you don't get the power out of Co2 you do with compressed air.

Go on Airguns of Arizona and Pyramid Air and look at the prices on some of the PCP (compressed air rifles) like Daystate, FX, Evanix, Edgun and etc. Some can can get expensive and in comparison the Quackenbush rifles are not priced too bad. If I was to get a Quackenbush rifle I would probably go with the .308 Exile as it can do more shots per fill than the bigger bores. But getting a Quakenbush is not the easiest due to low build numbers and demand.

all my rifles now are spring piston or Co2. A .22 or .25 cal PCP that can run 50+ FPE with heavier bullets would be good for hunting small game than a lot of the more common and cheaper sub 20 FPE airguns.

dkf,

Have you ever hunted Bison? I've shot 2 of them, the first one was with a .338 loaded hot using a 250gr Nosler partition...you would think that is more than enough gun...the first shot went through both lungs and stopped under the hide on the other side less than a 50 yard shot. The buffalo flinched, snorted out some blood from it's nose and went back to grazing like nothing was wrong. I hit it the second time 3 inches from the first entry point and it clipped the top of the heart and both lungs...this finally knocked it over.

The second one I used my 50-140 Sharps rifle...one shot, back of the skull, instantly down.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as enough gun for American Bison shot in the boiler maker, I've seem them drop instantly from an arrow and I've seem them go on like nothing happened after several well placed shots from large caliber rifles. The aren't dangerous game like Cape Buffalo but they are definitely TOUGH game.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    dkf,

Have you ever hunted Bison? I've shot 2 of them, the first one was with a .338 loaded hot using a 250gr Nosler partition...you would think that is more than enough gun...the first shot went through both lungs and stopped under the hide on the other side less than a 50 yard shot. The buffalo flinched, snorted out some blood from it's nose and went back to grazing like nothing was wrong. I hit it the second time 3 inches from the first entry point and it clipped the top of the heart and both lungs...this finally knocked it over.

The second one I used my 50-140 Sharps rifle...one shot, back of the skull, instantly down.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as enough gun for American Bison shot in the boiler maker, I've seem them drop instantly from an arrow and I've seem them go on like nothing happened after several well placed shots from large caliber rifles. The aren't dangerous game like Cape Buffalo but they are definitely TOUGH game.
    WOW!
    When I purchased my Raging Bull .454 Casull the dealer told me it would take any North American large-game animal, with one shot.
    Since it only has an 8-3/8" barrel I don't think I want to get close enough to try that on a bison, or a bear, maybe boar...

Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    dkf,

No I never took a bison. I don't know if you ever saw the video I was talking talking about but it was obvious the airgun was not enough and he took at least two shots and it is just standing there. With the velocity and energy the DAQ rifle is making I doubt he even got a thru and thru shot with it, especially at 53 yards. A head shot would have been the best shot to take but he was going for the body. Some guys don't have a problem waiting half an hour or an hour for an animal to finally die but I do not find that ethical at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I have been drooling over these things since I found the web-site a few years ago but so far I haven't been able to justify the cost in my own mind.
    I want to think they would be worth the money, but I'd really like to see some real-world reviews from actual owners instead of just the reviews on their web-site.

These are supposed to be capable of bringing down BISON!
    I think these things would be almost perfect in a SHTF scenario, IF they work as advertised.

So, anyone here able to offer any first-hand knowledge of these?

www.quackenbushairguns.com
    I own a lot of BB but not a DAQ . Got tired of not ever getting drawn and I do not think I will try again . Several years ago he was about the only one making them . I have nothing bad to say about the produce from what I have heard from owners . Many were buying them for resale and making money on the deal . But some of that has gone away since others are now making them and the manufactures are getting into it . Daq is a moderately powered rifle now . If all out energy is the quest . This site is one you might want to look at if money is not a issue and energy is wanted . http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/ . The cost of ownership of a PCP can be looked at from many different view points . I have a compressor so air is free now . I use reclaimed free lead , Tanks are payed for now . Barrels will last for ever with no acids or heat . Rifles are not cheap unless you know were to look for deals on older models . But there is no powder, primers, cases, or wore out barrels to constantly be buying if you shoot a lot . Then again there is no reloading equipment to by either . Nor the time involved in reloading . Just the casting equipment . I shoot at least 800 shots a week at present and hope to pick it up . I some times wonder if the start up cost is really that much more than what a high volume shooter would spend to get started . Fire stations have been known to fill many a shooters tanks for a few donuts and used compressors are around as well . I paid 1250 for my 3500psi compressor 10 years ago and have filled my tanks 616 times as of today . Yes I will be buying another some day but that's life . Enjoy what you have to shoot and keep a open mind to what others shoot .Marvin
    PS You might want to look at this rifle as well .
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/AirFor...fle_Combo/3575
    http://www.airforceairguns.com/The-T...guns-s/118.htm
    Last edited by melloairman; 03-25-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

mellowairman
    you are spot on with the costs involved and big bore air rifle engineering is beginning to make real gains in the power/speed realm
    You can buy paintball style nitro tanks with fixed 2000/2500/3000 or 4000 outputs tailored to you specific gun.
    Refills for those tanks can be had at paintball/dive shops or you can invest in a low cost shoebox compressor for about $700.00 (slow but it will get you there)or a hand pump Very very slow..
    I have a compressor to fill the paintball tank.. The 68/4500 LB tank ( about the size of a 2 liter bottle ) I carry in a backpack while hunting and it gets me 14 refills plenty for a days shooting (about 365 shots)
    once the initial investment is made you done .. Cast, size, fill tank and shoot .. never worry about powder, primers or case shortage again
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Vendor Sponsor

Melloairman Said "I own a lot of BB but not a DAQ . Got tired of not ever getting drawn and I do not think I will try again"
    I did the same thing got tired of jumping thru his hoops to not get drawn.. There are way too may as good and even better guns coming out to justify that get on the list stuff...
    Please keep in mind even the best right now are at shooting at Subsonic velocities

below is from extreme big bores website

Caliber Grain Bullet FPE FPS
    .308 150 367 1000

.408 275 516 920
    .408 230 490 980
    .408 160 430 1100

.457 280 573 960
    .457 250 555 1000
    .457 215 546 1070
    .457 190 510 1100

.50 350 672 930
    .50 270 599 1000

.72 435 789 904
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I think you will find that those claims are for a single shot at the maximum safe pressure for the gun, and that adjusted that way, every subsequent shot will be falling in velocity.... That is typical big-bore thinking, instead of tuning for 2-3 shots within a few fps at a slightly lower power....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    I think you will find that those claims are for a single shot at the maximum safe pressure for the gun, and that adjusted that way, every subsequent shot will be falling in velocity.... That is typical big-bore thinking, instead of tuning for 2-3 shots within a few fps at a slightly lower power....

Bob
    Bob there is more than one way to tune a BB . And that does not mean that these numbers are not true . You have your way of tuning which you prefer and is not typical BB thinking . That does not mean one opinion or way will always be right or wrong . As the site states extreme big bore . These rifles are made for large animal hunting and the way they are tuned makes good since . When the rifle is going to be used in the manner it was intended for . It is the way many prefer for hunting . One has to keep a open mine and except others way of thinking .And keep in mine that not every one uses their rifle in the same way . Marvin

Absolutely true, Marvin.... If anyone wants to tune for a fraction more velocity instead of getting two shots for the same amount of air used, they are perfectly entitled to do so.... I will simply post my own personal experience with my DAQ .308 Exile and let each shooter make up their own mind....

Stock as received: 836, 786, 742 fps, ending at 1800 psi
    Reduced Hammer Spring Preload: 832, 833, 824, 811, 792 fps, ending at 2000 psi

Both strings were shot with Lee 120 gr. RN bullets, starting from 3000 psi.... no other changes to the rifle.... I won't debate the matter further with you, we can just let others decide what they want....

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rsterne View Post
    Absolutely true, Marvin.... If anyone wants to tune for a fraction more velocity instead of getting two shots for the same amount of air used, they are perfectly entitled to do so.... I will simply post my own personal experience with my DAQ .308 Exile and let each shooter make up their own mind....

Stock as received: 836, 786, 742 fps, ending at 1800 psi
    Reduced Hammer Spring Preload: 832, 833, 824, 811, 792 fps, ending at 2000 psi

Both strings were shot with Lee 120 gr. RN bullets, starting from 3000 psi.... no other changes to the rifle.... I won't debate the matter further with you, we can just let others decide what they want....

Bob
    Old thread but i just got a daq .308.what did you do to reduce it
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Compressed the hammer spring all the way to coil bind and then let it rebound.... This process is called "setting" the spring.... That is all I had to do on mine.... The overall length of the stock spring I started with was 5.44" with unevenly spaced coils.... it appeared to have been wound by hand.... After setting, the overall length was just 4.50" and the coils perfectly evenly spaced.... The cocking effort went down from 28 lbs. to 20 lbs.... The performance changed as per my previous post.... More shots using less air with hardly any change in power....

Bob

Banned
    Thanks,more shots it's what I want.I could care less about the last bit of energyI'd live to be able to get 10 shots at a lower power level

In order to get 10 shots you would have to dial the power back to around 100 FPE, maybe a bit more.... To maintain decent velocity you would be down to 50-70 gr. bullets.... not easy to find in .308 cal.... There are bullets available in the 90-100 gr. range.... If you tuned to shoot those at around 800 fps (130ish FPE) you might be able to get 8 shots or so....

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Unrelated to the big game Quackinbush, I used to have a Quackinbush pellet / dart gun of .177. It was a barrel cocker (pump type) and you could load either a pellet or a dart for indoor type practice. It was fun. As a matter of fact, I sold it to one of our fellow castboolits guys long ago.

Boolit Master
    Someone should market an exercise machine that you can hook up a high pressure pump to.
    Have the full range of exercise movements such as bench press, stationary bike, etc.
    Stay in decent shape while keeping your spare tanks topped up.

If nothing else pay your kids a set fee to pump up the tanks for you. They'd get a kick out of that.