WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
PBcastcoInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45-70Govt load class question

Banned

so true on all accounts, oldred. these olde tyme .45 cartridges just work best slow 'n' heavy. attempting to go much past 1400fps or so defeats their inherent accuracy and can provide unnecessary recoil (that will affect consistency). they really do work best (consistent accuracy and reasonable recoil) with high lead/low tin alloy heavy boolits and either black powder or with specific smokeless powders (aa5744, sr4759) that recreate (to a good degree) black powder results with those 400 to 550 grain boolits. in the last few years, and aside from my flintlock rifles, i've sold off all my cartridge rifles in favor of rolling block and sharps style actioned single shots in, of course, the .45-70 cartridge. life's still good.

+1 on AA5744 (24.2grs.) with 405gr. boolit - my TD load

rfd, I agree. Something about that cartridge and those rifles...

Boolit Buddy

I have duplicated several loads from Paul Matthews book, Forty Years with the 45/70.

It is my opinion that Mr. Matthews believes in going to the line (maybe a little beyond) in more than a few instances. He shot both the Ruger #1 & #3 and the Marlin 1895. I have shot his Ruger loads out of my HandiRifle but don't plan on repeating that in the near future. I also have the 1895 and those loads are manageable in the HR IMO.

Certainly, the trapdoor loads are acceptable in your HR 45/70.

Boolit Master
    I love the mid range loads but my favorite is the Gould style HP bullet at 1400 FPS just a outstanding load for deer and elk within 100 yards. I just picked up a new clearance Stainless Prohunter BBL 24" 45-70 for my Encore cannot not wait to load up some 330 Grain HP over good dose of new Unique and shoot some water jugs.......

Banned

as with most any rifle that has some amount of perceived recoil, the butt stock configuration and amenities can always make shooting even more pleasant. dependent on the model, .45-70 handi's will have either a shotgun style butt end, with either a plastic or vented rubber end cap, or as in the buff classic the butt end is a crescent with a steel cap (ouch!). for any of these, adding a slip-on recoil butt stock pad will help to tame the hurt, or make an already easy-on-the-shoulder recoil mo' better yet. i use a kick killer butt pad on my .45-70's ...

Boolit Master

That Sharps rifle is outstanding, love that wood color and grip/end caps! Who's the maker of that one?

Boolit Buddy
    This is the rifle in question.
    Not mine, but identical to it.
    www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470047518
    Note the obvious recoil pad.
    I have shot a few factory offerings with no ill affects regarding recoil and accuracy is outstanding right out of the box.

Really sad to see H&R dropping the Handi-Rifle line.
    They made fine rifles and I wish I had one of every caliber they offered.

Banned

oldred - that '74 sharps replica was built by chiappa arms and branded by cimarron. listed as a "usa team creedmoor sharps", 500 were made, mine is #58. the fit and finish of wood and metal are extremely exceptional as compared to a usa shiloh or c.sharps, the action and receiver are cnc block machined and the barrel is of "match grade". i've been extremely happy with its durability and accuracy. i bought it for the stupid price tag of $1050/shipped last fall off grabagun. i see both the price has increased and it's out of stock with most online vendors, typically about $1300 (or more). two thumbs up from me.

mgderf - it isn't that the handi line has been dropped, it's all of h&r that's getting the boot, according to remington.

I have been reloading the 45-70 for many years. And have tried the mild to wild. Take my advice and just load them to the best accuracy and you will find yourself in that 1100 -1400 fps range. This with cast bullets anyway. The 45-70 is a freight train not a ferrari.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brad925 View Post
    I have been reloading the 45-70 for many years. And have tried the mild to wild. Take my advice and just load them to the best accuracy and you will find yourself in that 1100 -1400 fps range. This with cast bullets anyway. The 45-70 is a freight train not a ferrari.
    could not have said it better, sir.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Trapdoor Loads - you'll be able to shoot 1000yds with them!
    Loading data at end of website ... http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html
    Last edited by John Boy; 03-31-2015 at 11:14 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Trapdoor Loads - you'll be able to shoot 1000yds with them!
    Loading data at end of website ... http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html

As was in fact done for many years!

Was even further - 45-70 at 2 Miles - The Sandy Hook Trials
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/843705/posts
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    May I please ask a question. Is there anyone that can tell me the model number for a RCBS top punch for a .458 die, pointed 500 grain bullet for the 45-70. I have looked and only find either rounded or flat top punch. I am new at this , and this site. Any help will be appreciated.

Swatts, if you have another top punch, use it to make one for the RCBS your looking for ...
    ** pour hot glue into the top punch cavity. Take the pointed bullet and spit on the nose. Twist the nose into the cavity with the hot glue. Remove the bullet and you have the TP that you are looking for
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12