Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: 1911 Throat, Crown & Polish

Vendor Sponsor

1911 Throat, Crown & Polish

To cure issues with barrels without enough throat to pass the "plunk" test with some of the most common cast boolits, I have put together a package deal that addresses not only the throat, but the feed ramp and the crown. Response by owners who have sent their barrels in for this has been very positive. This is a very affordable way to accurize a 1911 barrel and cure it's feeding woes all in one go round. It's a no brainer to see that the throat will now let you seat any style .452" boolit at whatever COA you choose, and these will "plunk" a whole range of different boolits, basically if it will feed through the magazine, it will feed and fire in this barrel without issue.

A few shooters want to run .45 Super in their Glock 21 seated out long, the throat they need is slightly longer than what is pictured, but this is certainly the ticket for .45 Super in a KKM barrel!

Radiusing the top of the feed ramp just breaks the sharp corner off the bevel, if there is one, it doesn't really alter the shape or size of the ramp, it just makes it smoother and easier for the round to break over the bevel when it goes up under the extractor and heads into the chamber. The "shoulders" at both sides of the chamber mouth are also blended in with the ramp and taken farther up the sides so they won't gouge or dent a boolit as it is being fed. Also, this smoother feeding ramp minimizes any chance of boolit setback which can raise pressures dangerously, and has been attributed more than one KB of a perfectly good gun.

Re-crowning the barrel may not look like it's needed, but you would be surprised how much improvement the crown makes when you have one precision cut on 20° as this is pretty much an optimum angle for burning gas to exit the barrel behind the boolit. The crown is sharp yet free of any burrs, and held concentric to the bore and square to the axis of the bore by a Dave Manson precision mandrel made especially for this job. Accuracy is un paralleled as this tooling has less runout than a lathe, and groups shrink accordingly. Recutting the crown helps to reel in any flyers and the most positive response has been that shooters will often notice they are putting rounds through the same holes on their target. Gotta love a good shootin' .45!

As always, work is fast and professionally done. This package is VERY affordable, you can't even rent the tooling for what this package costs PM for details.

Currently offering this in .45 ACP and .45 Super, but 9mm/10mm and .40 S&W coming soon!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-25-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Nice deal.....you should be a vender sponsor with all the good you do for the forum. Nice looking work!

Vendor Sponsor

Happy to say that I have 9mm, 10mm/40 S&W throating reamers and expanding mandrels in house, so I can offer the throat, crown & polish package on these calibers starting NOW!

Lead time is only a couple of days, return shipping is FREE! Send in 4 barrels for this package, the 5th barrel is FREE!

To any of my previous customers who have sent a 1911 barrel for throating, if you want to send the same barrel back for a 20° crown, I will extend the package price and you pay only the difference, and still get free shipping!

Want to know exactly how much improvement a precision cut 20° crown will squeeze out of your barrel? Shoot a before and after group, you may be amazed at how much tighter the groups are!

All at a price that you can't beat anywhere! PM for details!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.