RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Sights

Boolit Master

Sights

What sights do you guys use on your sharps for hunting? thinks bill

Boolit Master
    My 50/90 wears a MVA tang mounted peep sight, it has both windage and elevation adj. although not a "soule" type, I could not use the std. barrel sights, and for me they did not allow me to get the most from the very accurate rifle.

Boolit Master
    Barrel sights, I had to widen the rear notch a good bit with a needle file, and then I put a 1880's vintage copper penny for the front sight I find it shows up very well on buffalo.

KW

Perma-Banned

I use a Tang sight with a hadley eye disc set with the aperture open a little more for quicker sighting.

On Heaven's Range

So tell me......

I've been using tang-mounted sights on various rifles, but particularly the Shiloh Sharps 1874s, for upwards of thirty years.

I have NEVER achieved what I consider a "comfortable" grasp on the rifle with my trigger hand, due to the sight base impeding my thumb (which always wants to wrap itself over the stock behind the sight). Recoil is uncomfortable, if not actually painful or drawing blood.

If that thumb is NOT securely wrapped over the stock, the rifle also seems insecure in my grasp. This is most obvious with rifles delivering heavy recoil.

The comparisons in recoil control between tang-sighted rifles and those such as my #1 in .416 Rigby are stark.

What do you long-time tang-sight fellers do? Just lay the thumb alongside the sight and let fly?
    Last edited by BruceB; 03-25-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Bronze blade front
    Lawrence rear. they haven't failed me yet

Boolit Master
    MVA rear, a hunting sight model without the screw. Can't remember the number, I think it was #130? Never had a problem with my thumb and holding the gun. It didn't hurt or anything, just felt kind of funny being there. Globe fronts didn't work out. A good blade or even a small dia. fiber optic (yeah, I know they didn't have fiber optics back then but I can't see like I used to). Globes just don't work well early and late. They're just "OK" during the brightest part of the day. Now this is all about hunting, not target shooting, right?

Boolit Grand Master

my shooting partner had that issue with the base hitting his thumb and or web he made a pad out of some soft think leather to act as a cushion. This was on a pedersoli rolling block in 45-70. It was just a small piece of soft swede with a notch cut to fit

Boolit Master

Marbel tang and a white bead front.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!