Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best uses for 3031

Boolit Grand Master

Best uses for 3031

I have the opportunity to purchase an 8# jug of 3031 for a very fair price give the current market. My intentions for it are to make up plinking rounds for my 223 and 308 with it. 223 would be using 55gr FMJ bullets and 308 would be using 147gr FMJ M80 pull downs. Is this a good powder for this? What else are it's "main stream" applications. Hoping to make a decision tonight and tomorrow and possibly picking it up Wednesday. I'd hate to invest the $$$ to find out it's a dud when I could have bought less of a favorite standby (Varget). Perhaps I should just buy the Varget.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 03-23-2015 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    IMR 3031 will work in the .223 per the Hornady loading manual, 9th edition. In the .308, Hornady loading manual, 2th edition. Speer 14th edition also for both. Being an older numbered powder and not the new fancier named powder, it is being over looked. Its burning rate is between H332 and X4895 so it is rather versatile powder. Enjoy your find, you will not be disappointed.

I agree, it has been my experience that 3031 is a bit of a jack of all trades. It does most things fairly well.

Perhaps not the best, but far from the worst.

Enjoy!

Boolit Master
    Makes nice accurate 55 gr loads for the ar15..
    Clean too.

Boolit Grand Master

3031 is a versatile powder but I don't think it's especially well suited to the 223 or 308. I think the powder shortage is easing, maybe an 8# jug of Varget will be on the next truck.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I think it is a very versatile powder and I wouldn't think twice about buying it.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using 3031 in 22-250 and 30-30 for 25 years. I have loaded it in numerous calibers and as stated above, it seems to work well in everything I have loaded with it. It is probably the most versitile powder I have used.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    It is good for .223 and .308 it is great for 30/06 especially M1 loads. Works well for .45/70. Check the loading manuals it is very "usable" for many calibers. I would not hesitate to "get it".
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Developed for .303 Brit, it's faster than other stuff commonly used in similar .30 cal. rifles. I've used it with good results in .223 with 55 gr. JSPs and .30-06 with 180-200 gr. cast, which should say something about it's versatility.

Boolit Master
    3031 was developed for the 303 Brit. (303 1) It's one of the "good old powders". It seems it would work fine in most cartridges of the approximate size of the .303 and if you look at various reloading manuals for data, especially the older ones you will see this to be true.

I currently use it in 7.62x54R. Like I said, its one of the good old powders.

Motor

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 223, 30 carbine, 7.62x39,30-30,30-06, 45-70, for cast its a usable powder for it all. The first powder I ever bought. Rick!

Boolit Master
    IMR 3031 is a favorite in "level 2" 45-70 loads.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Guess I need to add it to my watch list.....

Boolit Master
    Very good in .30-30, .32 Special, .35 Rem, .358 Win, good in .300 Savage and .308 with lighter bullets (165 grains or less) works in most cartridges, long-grained so it crunches when used in a measure. Used in full-power .30-30 loads since 1963.

Boolit Master
    Great powder for the 45-70 as well as the .405 Winchester. I used it last month in my .405 when shooting a bison, 51 grains under a 300 grain Barnes TSX.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Only thing I don't like about 3031 is that it doesn't funnel well. I weigh every charge for load developing or hunting and drop it into a funnel over the case. Seems 3031 needs a few more taps than most any powder. Seems most of my cartridges can be loaded with it, definitely one of my top five powders.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

my LR-308 really preforms well with IMR3031, the only reason I do not load much .223 with it is it is a stick powder and is a pain to load in a small case, but for .308 and 30/30 ,25/36 it is good stuff

Boolit Master
    IMR 3031 in all my Enfields have delivered best performance pushing those long, heavy boolits down range. H4198 is a second choice.

My Rem. M700 .30-'06 with similar type boolits and IMR 3031 is another fave of mine. Makes them j-word shooters blink at me...HAR!

FYI: all loading data for the above is from a Lyman 1958 edition "Handbook of Cast Bullets".

Thanks to you guys here where 3031 and 55 gr. j-word is good for .223\5.56x45, maybe now I can stop feeling sorry for myself about not having any AA2230. I hate those easy shooting autoloading rifles....

Ya'll be of good cheer,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Master

I can't really add to the load comments, it's all good. But 3031 is a stick powder, read firewood logs. Only 6064 is worse. In a rotating drum measure like Lyman 55 you get a real sticker every once in a while. If you have an old Belding and Mull measure, it would be a good idea to haul it out and dust it off.
    That powder will bridges in your funnel as well so be watchfull

Boolit Master

3031, is a great powder. Many uses, great in milsurps.
    use it in my Mosins and 303s quick and reliable, my go to for cast boolits.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast