RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: savage 110 in 30-30 family

Boolit Master

savage 110 in 30-30 family

This past week I met with the surgery team and they said no more operations on my spine(degenerating disc disease), instead they will try keep me comfortable with pain meds. So, that means I can meander into some knew projects. While swapping out a bolt head on a 111 savage it occured to me the magnum bolt face receives a 30-30 rim perfectly. This got me to thinking which of these cartridges would benefit the most from a modern bolt gun, a 7-30 waters or a 25-35? I have enough 30-30 bolt actions I need a new challenge. I am leaning towards the 25 caliber, what would you do? As reasonable as Shaw barrels are why not get both but I have to do some careful fiscal management to pull that off! Really if I got all 3 of these calibers in a 110 barrel/action I could eliminate a number of guns.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    A 257 Roberts or a 260 Remington will do anything you want to do and it will feed from the magazine. Rimmed cases require more than a bolt face that fits. Also if you decide to sell a wildcat, it isn't as easy as a standard caliber. I have most calibers and the 260 is what I hunt with.

Boolit Master
    I vote for the 7-30... great round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    Really if I got all 3 of these calibers in a 110 barrel/action I could eliminate a number of guns.
    Sure you will...

Boolit Master
    I've a model 54 action that was setup as a 30-30 from the factory. The magazine has two steel plates one in the front of the magazine and the other located at the rear of the magazine. Much like the 303 british the rims should be set ahead of the round underneath it. The plates are not welded in place but crimped in place. Run it fast or run it slow feeds standard 30-30 ammo just fine. Frank

It will probably need to be a single shot, and when you cut the chamber you'll want to headspace it on a piece of brass that was run through your own sizing die. Otherwise, why not? Should work fine. Of course as already mentioned, downloaded 7mm-08 or 260 will do the same thing but where's the fun in that?

-Nobade