Load DataInline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alloy for long nosed GG match bullets -take II

Vendor Sponsor

We sure are all Alpha Wolfs!
    The attraction for us must be the challenge and demands of BPTR Creedmoor game.

And, some amongst us wear their heart on their sleeve.

I gota put this away and get some work done -
    (Chris- I'll get back to you)
    Thanks!
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Brent,
    I probably created some confusion when I mentioned the PJ Sharps paper patched nose in another post. About 8 years ago, I had Paul cut me two greasers; one at 1.42" for my 45-70 and one at 1.45" for my 45-90. They have the Sharps PP nose profile rather than his Creedmoor nose and are ellipticals rather than bore riders. That's what I've been using up until last fall when I tried the Baco money and saw very little difference in elevation change. Your slicks are pretty though and they definitely work.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I noticed the same thing about the power charges listed for the Creedmoor Cup.
    Michael, do you know how your alloy fares vs. the standard 16:1 for something like a .40 cal Money bullet pushed reasonably hard in a .40-65? If they are comparable then I'll keep the alloy experiments for later. I'm going to use the plain old Saeco #740 for the midrange match in Worland in May, but if I can get this Money bullet figured out I'll probably use it for the Midrange match in Byers later in the year. I've shot it last year with 16:1 but only with FFFg Express which is perhaps hard on the nose. This year I've got Swiss 1.5 and OE 1.5 to play with too. thanks, Chris.
    Hey Chris, If you are asking about the 16-1 being good enough for the 40 cal MB as a GG bullet? Yes, it is more than good. And, so is the 3-metal (pb-sn-sb) we have been talking about. If you don't have the 3-metal alloy or don't want to start with something new, the 16-1 is as good as it ever was. Stick with it.

If you are shooting PP bullets in the 40 I am not much help at this time. I look forward to seeing you this summer at Byers and between now and then maybe I can pick your brain about the PP rifle you have - which has a chamber like the one I have.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The last was made with three parts of Lyman #2 and seven parts of pure lead.
    When Dan made the post I gave it a try and found the combination to produce good looking slumped bullets.
    I make up the Lyman #2 with either WW's @ Bhn 15.4 plus PB or PB and Linotype
    Bhn 15.4 WW plus 1/2 percent of tin also produces a nice accurate slumped bullet
    Regards
    John

I dug out some GG money bullets I tested when I got the mould to find the alloy I was going to use for this bullet.
    The rifle used for this was a .45-90 Shiloh with a standard chamber.
    The bullets marked solder is Oatey 95/5 no lead 95% tin 5% antimony. I also used 95/5 Tin/Copper solder and I like it better then the former. It lowers the melting point a little and it seems to cut down on bore smears using it over antimony in a GG bullet. But I need to look into this a little deeper.
    If you watch the sales flyers at Menards or the other lumber yards you can get the solder for less then tin from the foundry's and the purity is higher then what you might get from the so called pure.
    This picture will give you an idea just what little antimony added will do to the bullet. Less is sometimes better then more.
    I will make this my last addition.

Kurt

Boolit Master
    Many thanks Kurt.

Boolit Master
    Michael, I'll stick to the 16:1 alloy for now then. I've got some loaded up with OE 1.5 and will see how that does. Those will probably have to wait a few weeks until after the Tacoma schuetzen match. I'm not going to touch another rifle except my .32-40 until after the match. I find that when I switch around too much I have to re-learn how to hold the rifle

My brain might not be worth picking, with respect to the new rifle. We will see how it, and I, perform when it counts. It does shoot well for me at 200m. Likely I'll get to shoot it at 500m in May I think.

I look forward to meeting you at Byers. I imagine that Don might be there too?

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Yup , be at Byers, also have sent entries for Worland.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post

Kurt

Kurt, the information you provide represents a great deal of time and effort! Thank you for your willingness to share. I would not have thought to test the difference in 20-1 and 20-1 solder with the 1/400th Sb. I would have jumped to the conclusion that that little bit of Sb gets lost in the background noise. I am still marveling at how it holds.

One answer begs more questions and I won't ask.

Because I am off persuing a different alloy I better stick with it rather than dilute my focus. What I am doing works fine for me in my current applications but you have really gave me something to think about!
    I hope to see you somewhere this year!
    -Michael
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Yup , be at Byers, also have sent entries for Worland.
    Good stuff. I guess I'll see you at both. Worland will be the first lengthy road trip for our little Shasta trailer. That should be a learning experience in itself

Chris.

Looking forward to meeting you after all these years and the conversations on all these forums. Think we first started talking about this stuff on the BSB Boyz,,

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Kurt, the information you provide represents a great deal of time and effort! Thank you for your willingness to share. I would not have thought to test the difference in 20-1 and 20-1 solder with the 1/400th Sb. I would have jumped to the conclusion that that little bit of Sb gets lost in the background noise. I am still marveling at how it holds.

One answer begs more questions and I won't ask.

Because I am off persuing a different alloy I better stick with it rather than dilute my focus. What I am doing works fine for me in my current applications but you have really gave me something to think about!
    I hope to see you somewhere this year!
    -Michael
    Chill

Kurt always does this!!!
    Thnx Lots
    Bob
    "Ridin' For The Brand"

Boolit Master
    Cartridge: 45-110 powder Charge 110.8 grs FG Express compressed .385 with .060 veg fiber wad, plus .060 poly wad plus .092 cork wad. Load is same with both bullets exactly.
    bullet 525 gr NASA chrono's avg 1398 fps 200 yard zero .045 1 mile zero 3.76
    bullet 538 gr Money PP .446 diam Chrono's avg 1381 fps 200 yard Zero .041 1 mile zero 3.38.
    Rechecked Zeros when I was home the other day the Money bullet was from memory on the 200 yard Zero, was my scope not irons setting.
    KW
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 04-11-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    Interesting, no response on the data, shared on PP vrs GG.
    kW

Kenny I experience those elevation difference's when going back and forth from patched to greasers. Most noticeably the other day shooting the 525 gr. 444 money bullet, and the 535JM3 greaser money bullet. 6grs weight difference, same powder charge, same rifle, the patched bullet used 15 minutes less elevation at 800 yds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123