Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Finally hit the lead jackpot.

Boolit Mold

Finally hit the lead jackpot.

I've been scrounging lead here and there for years, but never seemed to get a good reserve. I asked an old friend at church about any ideas he may have on locating some lead, and he said he might know of a possible source and would get back with me. A few days later I got the call to come over to his house and he said we were going over to his friends marina. After meeting the guy ,I find out his marina is strictly a sailboat repair and storage marina. He has two very old run down sailboats that he is going to crush, and said the keels on these two boats each weigh between 4 and 5 thousand pounds and would be glad to sell them to me. After talking with him about his shop building expansion he was doing, he stated he needed to find a welder to fabricate a catwalk and fire escape ladder that he had to have to meet fire code. We made the deal, he gets his welding fabrication and I get the lead. I'm not sure what alloy this lead is, but I can role a nice curl of lead off of it with my thumb nail so I know its pretty soft. All my boolit casting in the past has been mostly #2 alloy for my pistols. I'm hoping this lead is soft enough that I can alloy it to 20to1 for my 45 cal.Remington Rolling Block if so i'll be set .

Perma-Banned

Good on ya...you'll be shootin' for a while now.

Awesome!

Boolit Master
    Good for both of you.

Boolit Buddy
    Sailboat keels in Idaho?

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah, some real nice lakes in that area. I plan to spend a long week up that way in June. Really pretty country and very nice folks. Dusty

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! Nice find and a win win for both of you.

Boolit Bub
    I found this out at a local metal recycle yard. The sound pipes on the big church type organs are made of lead/tin,65/35%. They sold it to me for a dollar a lb. As soon as the purse string lady let's me have more cash I am going to get more.

Right now scrap is cheap as chips here. A local scrap yard just folded because they cant turn a profit.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rollmyown View Post
    Right now scrap is cheap as chips here. A local scrap yard just folded because they cant turn a profit.
    Scrap is down where I work. If your local had too much in inventory when the price dropped and not enough in the bank account to ride it out he certainly could be hurting.

Boolit Master

Keel-hauling. . .it used to be a form of corporal punishment, and at two and a half tons a copy, IT STILL IS!!!

Nicely done Sir! Nicely done!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Great score but please keep us informed on how you cut it up. That can make for some interesting read.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master
    That is a great score. Should keep you shooting for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Neck It View Post
    Sailboat keels in Idaho?
    lol
    I know, right?
    I've lived here all my life and it still seems a bit surreal the number of sailboats I encounter. It ain't like living on the coast, but we got a lot of sailors in this state. Hell, we got Navy nuke labs out in the middle of our desert! Up north where Rick is, he's got Pend Oreille and Coeur d'Alene lakes -- huge by local standards and resorty enough to draw some serious breeze boaters.
    Never considered that they might actually break up their boats here though...

mike
    I saw this in a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can pull it off...

Boolit Master
    SlippShodd,
    If you ever find one that you want to split - you know where I live!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    There was at least one other members here who cut up one of those. Do a search. You might consider selling or trading some of that for other alloy here too.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a good score. I hope you have some way to handle that kind of weight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Thats a good score. I hope you have some way to handle that kind of weight.
    The same way an ant eats an elephant.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippShodd View Post
    lol
    I know, right?
    I've lived here all my life and it still seems a bit surreal the number of sailboats I encounter. It ain't like living on the coast, but we got a lot of sailors in this state. Hell, we got Navy nuke labs out in the middle of our desert! Up north where Rick is, he's got Pend Oreille and Coeur d'Alene lakes -- huge by local standards and resorty enough to draw some serious breeze boaters.
    Never considered that they might actually break up their boats here though...

mike
    Yes PO and C'da are great places for sailboats! Just don't tell 'em about the tunnel to bring the subs in from Bangor to service them in the Idaho desert.

I've always wondered what it would be like to work on a supply of lead that deep. Good for you!

Boolit Master

Don't ya just love the barter system?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington