Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a rolling block rifle

Boolit Bub

Building a rolling block rifle

I've wanted a Remington rolling block rifle for a long time, but never could get together the money to buy one that was in decent shape. So, I figure that the way for me to get one is to build one, that is, to put one together from parts.I'd like to end up with one in .45-70 caliber, for short-range target shooting and hunting.
    Therefore, I'm asking everyone here for advice. Has anyone here ever built a Remington rolling block?
    I'd like to ask first of all where I should start. Should I start by buying a complete rifle,or by getting a receiver and starting from there? If so, what type of rifle or receiver should I look for? There are many types, but are there certain types I should avoid?
    I just missed out on a rolling block in .43 Spanish. It looked in decent shape, but I really didn't know enough about it to evaluate it. Also, I didn't want to convert it in to a .45-70 because it looked to be complete and in decent shape. If it had been in worse shape, I might have considered it.
    Anyway, I would appreciate any advice from those who have had experience with rolling blocks.
    Rick W

Boolit Master
    Unless you can do most of the machine work yourself you would save money if you bought a nice used Italian copy. Buying a new barrel and having it threaded and chambered will cost you over five hundred or more. That would be for a round barrel. If you wanted half octagon it will cost much more. You will have to spend a few hundred for wood. Buying sights will add a few hundred more. You will of course have to add the cost of an old rolling block to start with. I see used Italian copies for sale for around a thousand.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Bub
    Actually, I can do the machine and wood work myself.If I had to have everything done by someone else, it would cost much more that buying a complete gun, as you pointed out.
    The Italian rolling block copies look very good, but a thousand is way more that I want to spend. Did I mention I'm a cheapskate, too?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    Unless you can do most of the machine work yourself you would save money if you bought a nice used Italian copy. Buying a new barrel and having it threaded and chambered will cost you over five hundred or more. That would be for a round barrel. If you wanted half octagon it will cost much more. You will have to spend a few hundred for wood. Buying sights will add a few hundred more. You will of course have to add the cost of an old rolling block to start with. I see used Italian copies for sale for around a thousand.
    Does it really have to cost $500 to get a barrel and have it chambered and threaded. Complete new bolt guns cost less than that? 45-70 Handirifles were going for under $400 before they stopped production. f

I bought a Swedish Roller a few years back and paid less than $500 I would hate to think I would have to pay over $500 to put a new barrel on it.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Does it really have to cost $500 to get a barrel and have it chambered and threaded. Complete new bolt guns cost less than that? 45-70 Handirifles were going for under $400 before they stopped production. f

I bought a Swedish Roller a few years back and paid less than $500 I would hate to think I would have to pay over $500 to put a new barrel on it.

Tim
    New barrel from Shilen: $200
    Chamber crown and thread: $225
    Cut in the dovetails and D&T holes @ $15 each: $30
    Blue the barrel: $75

Looks to me like he hit it pretty much right on the money.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington No. 5 model 1902 or 1910 rolling block  0 38special Puyallup 4-27-2013.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	134787

I got a Rem Rolling block No. 5 that is either a 1902 or 1910 type.
    I paid $400 in 2013. Neither the seller nor I knew what cartridge or even what caliber the rifle was.
    It is in tight chambered 38 special with a military like stepped barrel that has been hot blued.
    I worked up to double loads of 357 mag in 38sp brass, at that point the CCI 450 small magnum rifle primer pierces.
    When the primer pierces, gas opens the block and the gun jams.
    It is a .358" groove 12" or 14" twist.

I am thinking or reaming it out to 357 MAX and throating it long.

FWIW:

* The OP said he can do his own machine work. (Threading, cutting dovetails, etc, etc)

* MidwayUSA had Green Mountain barrels, chambered (presumably) in .45-70, for $93 + S&H - but they've been discontinued, so mayhaps a barrel can be found on one of the online gun auction website's parts section or FleaBay.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/614...y-in-the-white

Track of The Wolf has .45-70 barrels, with different groove diameters $ 5.69/per inch (24" x $6 = $144)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/2

* On ANY RB, I was building up, I would slightly ream out both the breechblock & hammer axle pin holes and make slightly oversize replacement pins.

* I would also make/install a new firing pin (E-Z-Peazy), and bush the breechblock face for a smaller FP tip - depending upon the original chambering & FP tip size.

* I would consider buying a 90% shaped & inletted stock set from Treebone Carving ($200/straight grip-$250/pistolgrip), if I didn't feel like (or couldn't) make the stocks myself.

http://www.treebonecarving.com/remin...ck-stocks.html

Once you get into it, Rick, the result (however it turned out) can be very satisfying.

Last edited by pietro; 03-23-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington No. 5 model 1902 or 1910 rolling block  0 38special Puyallup 4-27-2013.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	134787

I got a Rem Rolling block No. 5 that is either a 1902 or 1910 type.
    I paid $400 in 2013. Neither the seller nor I knew what cartridge or even what caliber the rifle was.
    It is in tight chambered 38 special with a military like stepped barrel that has been hot blued.
    I worked up to double loads of 357 mag in 38sp brass, at that point the CCI 450 small magnum rifle primer pierces.
    When the primer pierces, gas opens the block and the gun jams.
    It is a .358" groove 12" or 14" twist.

I am thinking or reaming it out to 357 MAX and throating it long.
    Still outrageous at best.

Boolit Mold
    I have done what you are planning. My Rem R.B. is my favorite BP rifle. I used a friends 1897 7mm wall hanger for $100, bought a Badger barrel $275?. Tree Bone wood $200, 45-70 reamer $110? The action was pitted in the unimportant areas, so I painted the action, reamed the breech block and hammer for new pins ,MSC gauge pins, replaced the trigger return spring with piano wire and finished with a competitive BPCR Silhouette rifle. I have recently picked up a really clean Swedish RB in 8mm, but it will need new pins, I haven't decided what to make it into.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickw55 View Post
    Actually, I can do the machine and wood work myself.If I had to have everything done by someone else, it would cost much more that buying a complete gun, as you pointed out.
    The Italian rolling block copies look very good, but a thousand is way more that I want to spend. Did I mention I'm a cheapskate, too?
    Thanks,
    Rick

How much machine work are you willing to do?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Ro...item234da71e8c

Not sure what equipment you have available but doing this is not at all impractical, depends on how much time you are willing to spend on it but I can guarantee nothing will ever come close to the satisfaction of scratch building a rifle yourself! I have built two High Walls, one full size and one scaled down version in 22 WMR and I am currently working on my third and last one. This does not require a shop full of equipment and the first two I did were done entirely on a lathe using a home made milling attachment so it is very possible to do this and the actual cost in money will be quite low, the cost in time is enormous however so I won't kid you it will take a long time but is a very enjoyable and enormously rewarding undertaking!

Banned

seems like a very noble project, but there are a lotta dependencies too consider, such as how the rifle will primarily be used and how you can build a viable, accurate roller for under $1k. good luck!

Boolit Bub
    I'm not enough of a machinist to build one from scratch! I have a lathe, but no milling machine. I know that I could mill it on the lathe, as you did, but I'm not willing to put that amount of time in to it.
    The plans are also available from the ASSRA for about 1/3rd of the ebay price.I intend to order a set so I'll have a better idea of how it all goes together.
    Thanks to all who responded!

Boolit Buddy
    Oldred is right, the more you can do for yourself, the less expensive it will be, and the more rewarding, but you have to live with your mistakes, I have a rifle I built and chambered the barrel from the wrong end, it shoots okay but it'll never be right. Sarco just had .38 cal barrel blanks on sale for $30, only 25 in. long, but great to get your feet wet with. DeHasse has some decent articles on roller modifications, worth looking at. I have one R.B in 45-70, and two more in the works, I have only proofed the one, and wouldn't consider using it until the hammer block alteration is done, you can see from clarks comments what happens when a primer goes, these actions can be very unforgiving. That mod will also allow you to safely reduce the hammer spring tension, and improve the trigger pull. I will now get out my umbrella, thanks

Boolit Master

Picked up a Swede 8MM roller quite a few years back for $225. Had a 40cal take off Douglas barrel and a 40-65 reamer. Treebone wood for $175 and one of their butt plates. This is what emerged but still had $500 in it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Get a 12mm Swedish rolling block for about $400-$500 and some 50/70 brass , do a little work on the brass to fit chamber and cast up some .510 450 gr boolits with your $30 Lee mould and your shooting a black powder cartridge that will make you smile with every trigger pull.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy

That's a sweet looking rifle!
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Bub
    BOZ330,
    That't what I'm hoping to do also: find a rifle or action fairly cheap and build it in to something like your rifle. That's beautiful rifle with some gorgeous wood!
    Rick W

Quote Originally Posted by rickw55 View Post
    Sometimes you've got to pay to play Rick. There are a few good buys out there. Not being in a hurry helps. And yes, parting with money is painful for me too.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Banned

yep, pay to play - both money and ... time.

there can be considerable differences in subjective and objective goal requirements.

add in how soon ya wanna be able to pull trigger and have a safe hammer drop.

to each their own, it's all good.

In Remembrance

Maybe you guys should look into importing from here? Can you DO that???
    http://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/66
    I have no 'interest' in this firm, but the prices seem reasonable compared to other sites.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast