RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: 30 Grain 22 Mag

30 Grain 22 Mag

Sighted a scope in for my Henry lever and found the CCI 30 grain to give me a couple right together and then one out in the ball park. I know some rimfire rifles can be fussy but these were a bit out of line. Like the 40 grain original loads better anyway but was just wondering at the quality. they would string vertically and it seemed like a couple sounded a little weak.

DP

Boolit Master
    The Hornady 30gr Vmax have been nothing but consistent out of my Henry and every other 22 mag i have shot them in. What brand ammo you shooting?
    Missed the CCI part, never tried that load.
    Last edited by 3leggedturtle; 03-26-2015 at 01:34 PM.

When 22 mag ammo was almost non-existent locally I ended up buying a couple of boxes of 30 grain V-Max as that was what was available. Also got a box when I traded off my 17HMR bolt gun. Had a lot of experience back when with the original Winchester 40 grain HP and FMJ and kind of miss them. You could nail varmints with the HP's and small game with the FMJ.

DP

Boolit Master
    I've had a dozen different guns in 22mag over the last forty years. Handguns and rifles. I've NEVER gotten any 30g bullet from any manufacturer to shoot good in any of my guns. The 40g always shot better. The 50g shoots the best but it will not expand very well in woodchucks and the percentage getting down the hole after the shot is about 50% unless shot in the head). I currently have a dozen different brands of ammo on hand and over the years I've bought a box of everything at one time or another. CCI 40g has consistently been the best shooting ammo for me.

Boolit Master
    The best 22 mag ammo I have shot is the Remington 33 grain Accutip. It is what Cooper uses when they shoot a test target. It shoots very well out of my Henry as well as my Cooper and my wifes Browning TBolt.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Have had the same problems in my 9422. The old Ruko brand 40gr worked the best. Heavier the bullit the better it groups to me. Got some 50gr but never tried them.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If the stock of your rifle has a good bit of drop to it some of it might be cheek weld and placement .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

I like the cci 30gr tnt shells. They group less than an inch at 100 yards out of my cz452. I have also had good luck with the win supremes aswell. Don't waste your money on the dinapoints. They shot horrible for me.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

J. Stanley, i agree i only every shot the 9422 a few times each time from a rest mainly to test it for accuracy. It is the one with the lamiate stock, did not realy want it but it was a deal i could not pass up (some of those winchesters will always find a home). Funny too, Southpaw them Dynapoints were second or third best, cant remember but they are 45gr?
    I have only seen the Swamp Peaple, CCI stuff up here now. 22lr is hard get too.
    Be safe

Boolit Buddy
    I run a CZ 452, My experience has been that the light 35gr. bullets and such are only worthwhile on very calm -no wind days. Generally the 40 gr offerings are best and the CZ452 liked the CCI and Winchester best. But on a miserable gusty day with a lot of wind direction changes the 50gr. Federal was the hands down winner. They would come in second place to the 40 gr. on a normal day but if the wind was shifty then they would pull the tightest groups.

I found that my .22 mags--Marlin and Savage, were fairly easy going with what I fed them. A couple Mossberg Chucksters I had only shot the Winchester 45 well--and not that well at that.

Speaking of, what kind of honest accuracy are you folks getting with your .22 mags? I was never able to get better than 3" or worse groups at a hundred yards and 3/4" groups at 50--not terrible, but nothing like what I get with .17hmr.

Of course, that's plenty good hunting accuracy.
    Last edited by blixen; 06-07-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Master

I can get 2.5 to 3" groupings were the best i got, a little disappointed after getting inch groupings with the 17hmr and 2" with 22lr, all at a 100m. Good for hunting!!!
    Be well

with the CZ452 i owned a few years ago from memory 1 inch kinda 3 shot groups at 100 yards was the norm, never kept targets then but that is my recollection, very nice rifle. Kept comparing it to my Sako Quad .17hmr and eventually sold it, that was a mistake in hindsight.
    Have a varmint barrel now for the Quad in .22mag that is a real shooter, 1/2 inch 2 shot groups at 100 yards with Fiochhi is common, 3 shots 3/4 inch . . its close to the hmr in accuracy at 100 yards but wind drift is more. Mag barrel stays in the safe these days, the balance of the gun is so nose heavy with it on that i just put it away after a few hunts.
    Last edited by rosst; 06-10-2015 at 01:21 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried a slew of 22mag rifles over my younger years. Everything from cheap marlins to Win9422's and culminating with a very pretty, full stocked, Anschutz.
    None of them really shot worth a hoot, even the Anschutz would only do about 2moa on a good day.
    I finally just gave up on the 22mag, but for years afterwards, I stored a pair of ammo cans (1-30 & 1-50cal) packed to the brim with different 22mag ammo I had bought for testing.

Just a few years ago, I finally broke down and bought myself another 22mag.
    I went with a cheap savage, a heavy barrel model in a tupperware stock. (figured I didnt want to spend a bunch on something that I 'KNEW' wasent going to shoot worth a hoot) I just wanted something to make use of the ammo I had.

What a surprise that cheap rifle has been, it shot most all of that older ammo like a laser beam and easily printed sub moa groups....It shot so good, I broke down and bought a slew of this new-fangled 'tip'd' 22mag ammo I could find to try out.

If you havent guessed already,,,,I'll tell you....
    All that new tip'd ammo is stored away in another ammo can, cause none of it shot worth a hoot in my savage,,,AND I'm down to half the 30cal can on the old ammo

And so it goes.
    Cheers, YV