Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee's new Trimmer tool and dies

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I have an RCBS horizontal trimmer, complete with collets and what I like about it is that I can "custom" trim the length. In other words find the shortest case (still within spec) and trim the others to that length.

I'm always on the lookout for new gizmos that might be better though.

Is the Lee adjustable in such a fashion or is it set to a SAMMI spec of the ideal length and there's no adjustment?

Edit: Never mind. I should have checked the Lee site first-it's pre set to SAMMI specs. If they'd just make the upper assembly adjustable to some extent (say, within .020 max) I'd probably buy one.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-20-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    Replace the ball in the lee trimmer with a 1/4" bearing, and it seems to do a better job with the chamfer/deburr. I like it for conversion 300 blk brass from 5.56.

Boolit Master
    Is the Lee adjustable in such a fashion or is it set to a SAMMI spec of the ideal length and there's no adjustment?

Yes the Quick Trim is adjustable. The black nut / ring at the top ,right below the handle is an adjustment with click detents . Turned hard CW is SAMMI mininum ,I have only trimmed .223 but a couple or three clicks CCW went from 1.750 to 1.745. I really like it but have decided that I only will be doing 50 or so once fired LC brass per day unless I get serious about adding power to it. Brass which is 1.1750 to 1.760 only takes 10 turns or so to get it down to 1.745 but much of the once fired LC brass I have is closer to 1.770 and takes around 40 turns on the crank..

Added: Adjustment has 10 clicks and each one is approx. 0.001"

As an experiment I remover the springs and 1/4 steel ball so as to use only the length cutter without any inside or outside champering As I expected it cu real fast as in 0.025 trimed in only 10 turns so the real issue is the brass trimmings wedging between the champering blades and the housing.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 04-21-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    Yes the Quick Trim is adjustable. The black nut / ring at the top ,right below the handle is an adjustment with click detents . Turned hard CW is SAMMI mininum ,I have only trimmed .223 but a couple or three clicks CCW went from 1.750 to 1.745. I really like it but have decided that I only will be doing 50 or so once fired LC brass per day unless I get serious about adding power to it. Brass which is 1.1750 to 1.760 only takes 10 turns or so to get it down to 1.745 but much of the once fired LC brass I have is closer to 1.770 and takes around 40 turns on the crank..

Added: Adjustment has 10 clicks and each one is approx. 0.001"

As an experiment I remover the springs and 1/4 steel ball so as to use only the length cutter without any inside or outside champering As I expected it cu real fast as in 0.025 trimed in only 10 turns so the real issue is the brass trimmings wedging between the champering blades and the housing.
    Thanks Case Stuffer........the Lee catalog made no mention of adjustments that I could see. I may have to buy one just to try it out as I have an old Pacific trimmer that works on the same principle and rather like it. The Pacific is fixed however, no adjustments.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I have an RCBS horizontal trimmer, complete with collets and what I like about it is that I can "custom" trim the length. In other words find the shortest case (still within spec) and trim the others to that length.

I'm always on the lookout for new gizmos that might be better though.

Edit: Never mind. I should have checked the Lee site first-it's pre set to SAMMI specs. If they'd just make the upper assembly adjustable to some extent (say, within .020 max) I'd probably buy one.
    If you are clever every LEE non adjustable tool becomes adjustable.

Boolit Master

Good timing.........I got a headache last night which usually means an idea is about to be born......

Could someone take a minute and measure the shaft of the Lee trimmer with a micrometer or dial caliper? If it's the same as my Pacific I may have half the tool already! The Pacific has a handle crank that can be adjusted at least an inch in and out, so you can get more or less leverage. Now, if it just happens to fit in the Lee die bodies..............

Boolit Master
    Shaft dia. 0.558
    Trim Die I.D. 0.562
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master

Thank you!

(five minute recess while I take measurements)

Okay, I just checked the Pacific and the dimensions are all .001" larger. Now, allowing for differences in our two measuring instruments I'll bet that Lee copied the Pacific and that their dies will work with my cutter. I'm going to order a die and see.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 04-23-2015 at 12:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the new Lee trimmer other day. Problem I saw was buying the dies, get expensive pretty quick for multiple calibers, and they don't even make them for alot of the ones I want. And saw plenty of reviews saying it has to be cleaned out alot to keep lengths consistent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12