Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 452374 4 cavity HP

Boolit Master

Lyman 452374 4 cavity HP

I recently aquired a Lyman 4 cav 452374 mold from a member here, the mold had been purchased as part of an estate sale and had never been used by the Member.

He did mention that the mold had seen some rough use, which was refelcted in his asking price, which was more than reasonable!

A deal was struck and the mold shipped to me.

He wasn't kidding! Cavities were spotless but the outside of the mold was in poor shape, I actually replaced the sprue plate with a spare I had on hand because it was so badly burred up from being hit with a steel hammer!

bottom of mold looked like the PO used it to open another mold in the same manner, must have broken the hammer on this one, LOL!

A little clean up got the mold usable and I cast a dozen or so just to check size.

All was well but it did cast a touch large as there were still some burrs along the bottom of the mold.

Since this was a project I didn't waste any more time on it and did what I intended to do when I bought it: I shipped it to Erik at Hollowpointmold.com with instructions to convert it to a 4 cav HP mold using his insert system.

Erik and I had a couple conversations about the mold, mostly both of us laughing at how any moron could abuse a mold like this, and he advised he would have to clean the bottom up before he could do the conversion but the funds I sent would cover it all.

A week later the mold arrived in my office mail and looked great! Erik had suface ground the top & bottom of the mold as well as both sides of the sprue plate so it sat dead flat on the mold!

The insert system looks great and very solid, he also added a wave washer to the sprue plate, the PO had drilled and tapped the pivot bolt 1/4-20 for some reason and I had added a Stainless Steel button head allen bolt, changing out the odd looking 3/8's hex bolt that was in it when I got it.

Mold opens and close's much better with no light showing through any of the joints!

Erik has done several other mold projects for me in the past, this is the most extensive work he's done, and for those who wonder about conversion work or or other modifications Erik offers please feel free to move forward as Erik is da man for this type work!

Felt like **** yesterday but this morning I feel much better and hope to fire up the pot to make a few for testing, I'll update the post as soon as I do this to give detail on the boolits as cast conditions.

Boolit Master

After seeing pics of Erik's work, I have been sorta looking for an excuse to have one of my molds HP'd by him. I was going to do my 358156 4 cav, but then I got a Miha clone HP 4 cav in brass, so I don't need that one, anyhow. His work does look excellent. One of these days.....
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Pics please?

Boolit Master
    Can't post pic's Company computer might e mail pic's if you PM me an addy

PM to you.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

!! Now with pictures !!

These are the pics from HeavyMetal of his Mold.

1 is the side shot showing the pins holding the HP conversion and the mold number.

2 is the top of the sprue plate after Erik surface ground it flat

3 is the top of the mold block showing Erik’s pin diameter and how he surface ground the top of the block square and flat

4 is the inside shot of the HP conversion as done by Erik

5 is a side view, pins out, on the HP conversion.

6 is the bottom of the block, which had really been beat on, cleaned up with surface grinding to make the mold “square” again for milling. Note the bottom of the sprue plate: it to was surfaced ground to make a completely flat surface between sprue plate bottom and the top of the mold block. Erik wasn’t able to completely clean it up completely: some spots are still plainly visible in the upper left corner of the mold
    Last edited by tryNto; 03-27-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous... Do those pins leave the huge cavity like the Lyman "Devastator" hollowpoints??? I have the single-cav Lyman, but it sure takes a lone time to build a bunch of boolits... That 4-cav HP setup looks sweet....

Boolit Master
    Erik and I discussed that prior to me sending the mold to him.

These pins duplicate the devastator mold pretty darn close, so close I sold my Single cavity Devastator because I will no longer need it.

The same mold number, 452374, is used for the Devastator.

Erik has done very well with this mold I just need some time to cast with it which I hope will be this weekend!

A big thanks to trynto for posting the pic's for me, not bad for a cell phone.
    Last edited by HeavyMetal; 03-27-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Very very nice!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

That's a beautiful piece of work! Erik is a fine craftsman. I did a similar HP job on a 2 cavity 452374 and ended up with bullets that weigh about 210-212 grs instead of 230+. I think the inset bar type of HP job makes casting easier than the single-pin type, the bar retains heat better than a long, skinny pin. My two cavity version just shucks out the bullets once it is up to temp. And faster cycling keeps the pins hotter and you get better bullets as a result.

I bet the OP will really like his mold.