RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Pickled Egg Question

On Heaven's Range

Pickled Egg Question

Being a total rookie at pickling, I reviewed a few threads on pickling eggs.

There is NO mention of sterilizing jars etc.

Is this not necessary for the job? I do know that sterilization is absolutely essential for at least some canning, but I'm thinking that perhaps pickling is different.

Comments, please?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

With pickling you need only clean jars with hot soapy water.
    The vinegar has enough acid (5%) to stop any bacteria growth.
    If you want to sterilize them, boil them for 10 minutes.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

We never sterilized them. Hickory is on the mark. Just wash them well in hot soapy water. Growing up we always had a big jar of them on the counter. I like a few chunks of garlic thrown into mine.

We also cut the vinegar with some water as straight vinegar isnt really needed. As an aside, you can make your own vinegar. Get a bottle of vinegar with the mother in it like Braggs. One cup of it and 2 cups of fruit juice, wine etc added to it in a mason jar, wrapped in a towel and sit it on a warm shelf. In a few weeks you have some. Directions on the net
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

just wash them.I always add some jalapeno's to mine.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

With me I usually just reuse the pickling juices from the dill pickle jar (plastic container)
    after the last of the pickles come out add the hard boiled eggs, onions, garlic and some more vinegar - add additional spices if you want. I'm lazy and try to do it the easy way.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I too, am lazy. I buy a quart jar of pickled jalapeno slices, and as soon as it is half or more empty, I add my boiled eggs. Two weeks, and they are ready to be enjoyed!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master

Adding boiled eggs to second-hand pickle juice is okay IF (and only if) you're going to put the jar back into the fridge for the eggs to pickle. The problem arises in that you don't (short of lab tests) know exactly how strong the acid level is in the used pickle juice.

If you start with store-bought vinegar, you DO know. However, be advised, while many recipes sinstruct you to bring the vinegar to a boil, do not leave it boiling, as acetic acid will boil off.

The used pickle juice idea is good if you like the tastes you end up with. If you want to control the tastes, then start from scratch. If you do that right, then you don't need to refrigerate the jar while the pickling takes place. If you notice, the pickled eggs in bars are sitting in bottles on the shelf, not in a fridge. This is safe. You don't see bar patrons kicking off from pickled eggs.

dale in Louisiana

Love Life
    Dang it!! Every time this subject comes up I can't help but make a batch.

Here is what I do. I have a 1 gal kraft mayo jug. Wash it out. hot water. 4 cans of sliced beets, eggs, 1 beet can of vinegar, 3/4 cup sugar dissolved in the beet cans with hot water. Then more hot water if needed to cover it all. Then put them in the fridg. They never last long enough to go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale in Louisiana View Post
    Adding boiled eggs to second-hand pickle juice is okay IF (and only if) you're going to put the jar back into the fridge for the eggs to pickle. The problem arises in that you don't (short of lab tests) know exactly how strong the acid level is in the used pickle juice.

If you start with store-bought vinegar, you DO know. However, be advised, while many recipes sinstruct you to bring the vinegar to a boil, do not leave it boiling, as acetic acid will boil off.

The used pickle juice idea is good if you like the tastes you end up with. If you want to control the tastes, then start from scratch. If you do that right, then you don't need to refrigerate the jar while the pickling takes place. If you notice, the pickled eggs in bars are sitting in bottles on the shelf, not in a fridge. This is safe. You don't see bar patrons kicking off from pickled eggs.

dale in Louisiana
    That's why I always add more vinegar to the pickle juice - up's the acid and you can add flavor by picking the vinegar of your choice - apple cider, champagne, rice wine?
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Straight white vinegar and whole dried cheyenne peppers. You have to make two jars, the first one won't make it.

Boolit Master

Doggone it I am salivating like blind dog in a meat a house.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Well, that puts a bite into this thread w5pv
    je suis charlie

Moderator Emeritus

Never acquired a taste for pickled eggs... now pickled turkey gizzards... pickled herring...

Boolit Grand Master

If I pickle anything that I plan to store un-refrigerated, sterilize everything...keeps better.
    If I make refrigerator pickled anything...you don't have to boil 10 mins, but clean and hot jars doesn't hurt.
    Usually eggs will keep better refrigerated, but it all depends on the recipe and amount of vinegar used.
    Anytime you are canning, pickling or preserving anything, clean and sterilized jars and utensils will NOT make an inferior product, and that product will keep longer.
    If you like mustard, look for a pickled eggs in mustard sauce recipe...those are GOOD!
    Gary

Boolit Buddy

I canxt wholly agree with Mary cause I love pickled eggs, but picled turkey gizzards are the bomd and oh ya pickled herring. I haven't made em in years but pickled suckers or smelt are both good too!!! jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,