MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Finsihed my new hunting rifle today, 6.5x284 Savage!

Boolit Master

Finsihed my new hunting rifle today, 6.5x284 Savage!

I have built and accurized rifles on Mausers, Rem 700's and Savage action into custom varmint/target/hunting rifles for over25+ years. My main go to hunting rifle of choice, was Carls Gustaf, unissued 96 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser that I sporterized in 1985. I tapered the barrel, bent the bolt, checked the headspace, installed a Timney Featherweight deluxe trigger, drilled and tapped, Parkerized, and glass bedded into a custom stock. After hunting with it from then till now, it is like an extension of me, has accounted for over 600 chucks here in KY, over 50 coyotes and around 40 deer here in KY and Tenn.
    Over the last few years, I had built 2 6.5 x284's for myself, after doing some for others, and liked the caliber. so I built up 2 on Savage actions, on a repeater, with a varmint weight 26" Shilen blued barrel, 8 twist, bedded in a BVSS SAvage stock, with a 3 screw trigger, and a Nikon Moncarch 4x12x40. The other Is in a A5 type stock, with full bedding block, Benchmark 30" full bull, stainless match 8 twist barrel, SSS Trigger set at 12 ounces, Single shot adapter I made, dovetailed into the mag box to make the action stiffer, Burris Signature mounts and a Vortex Viper, 6-20x44, with Mil-Dot reticle. Both these guns shoot in the .3's at 100yds, and the later an honest 1 inch groups, at 300yds benchrested, using the same load and components.
    I had decided to build a hunting weight rifle, and traded for a 1991 Savage long action, round top, with Warne Weaver style steel bases, silver soldered on at the factory. They only made these one year that I know of, had them when I ran a shop at the same time. Anyway, I came across this one, with syn Choat stock in 30/06, which was a good shooting rifle. I kept watch on Classifeds at Savage Shooters website, member there, and finally found a unfired sporter barrel in 6.5x284, 8 twist, for a steal and promptly bought it. Today I took off the 30/06 barrel, and trued the action face up on my mandrel, in my lathe. I added a thicker recoil lug, and installed and head spaced the new barrel, and remove some material floating the barrel. I then added Millet extended windage adjustable steel, weaver type rings to give me plenty of room to get the scope where I wanted it for perfect eye relief. I mounted a Nikon Pro staff 5 , 4.5 x18, with mil dot reticle. Got it all ready to go, test fired 3 different bullet weights, fed smoothly from the mag, extracted and ejected smoothly. Hope to get some range time in the next few days, will tell you how it shoots. I am running a 120 gr. Sieera SP, right at 3380fps out of my 30 Barrel, will loose some velocity out of the shorter sporter, but should be a laser. The 142 Matchkings, zeroed 2.5 inches high out of the 30" barrel, at 100yds, are dead on at 300yds. The 120s will be flatter.

Boolit Bub
    Pictures?

Xvigauge

Boolit Master
    Range Report. I just got back from my back field, shooting off V sandbags across the tool box. Starting up close, then to 100yds, took 10 rounds to zero, 2 inches high. I let it cool a few minutes, then shot a slow 5 shot group, came out .628, center to center. I then went across the field to a red clay bluff, picked up 2 triangular shaped rocks, about 4" to the side and stuck them in the bank, then drove back across the field to the fence line, 295 yards lazered. I felt pretty good about this, first 120gr load I had tried. I made a short video of group and gun, if someone can post it, I can send it from my I phone. I shot the first one of the tool box, cut a groove in the top edge, holding dead center with the crosshair, second one I held close to bottom, cut it in half! This thing is gonna shoot as flat as a laser, most of my shots deer hunting around here, even in fields, will be 250 yds in, with a few that can stretch out to 450-500yds. Pretty good start with this rifle so far.

Would love to see pics also, Sam, send me the pics/video and I can post them for ya on the thread.
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9