Thread: How accurate do I need to be?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    You average mix should be just fine, cast and enjoy and do not look back
    Rave on dude!!

Mike
    No kidding. Do this.

Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
    Not sure I understand. The total lead will be 23 pounds (19.5 from the pipe and 3.5 from the ingot) Antimony will be 1.5 pounds from the ingot and tin at .5 pounds. That would be 92-6-2 hardball alloy. The 5 pound ingot is 70% lead and 30% antimony.
    Rather than just throw it all in the pot at once put part of the lead in, then your tin solder and your superhard broken up. You want the tin and antimony to alloy before you add the whole 19.5 lbs. of pipe. The tin and antimony can "find" each other more easily if they don't have the whole 19.5 lbs. of lead to swim in. The goal is to have the Sb/Sn form an alloy that then bonds with the lead.

Supposed to yield more consistent and better alloy than putting all the stuff in the pot and melting at once. I don't make hardball alloy or use superhard but the concept of having the Sb/Sn alloy first in a less diluted pot matched up with what I know so I thought I would pass it along. In my world 94/3/3 is a rich alloy, magnum shot, or linotype are the rich ingredients at 5% - 12% antimony.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll do that. I'm going to do something I did in my poor boy days. I made a Dakota Fire Hole out of 8 inch clay chimney tile. All I did was feed it wood, burns hotter than heck. I have all this American elm laying in a pile in my back lot, 2-3 inch stuff. Elm burns hot in a Dakota fire hole. I've seen it turn steel red hot. Gotta stay on top of it though. I used it once with 3/4 inch rebar and bent it into hooks, I used a leaf blower in the intake hole that time. Put charcoal in it, really hot. I won't need that for lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12