WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye forever to Hodgon Clays and international clays.

Saw the first keg of universal here in a looooooonnnngggg time today, yep, $219 plus tax, glad I don't use it, I got the keg of unique sitting beside it though, alot cheaper too.

How much are they charging for Unique out there? Alliant shotgun/pistol powders are still $20/# or $120/8# out here when available which tells me either the store signed a long term contract at that price (unlikely) or that Alliant hasn't been raising their prices and it's the middlemen or dealers who have been doing the markups.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    or that Alliant hasn't been raising their prices and it's the middlemen or dealers who have been doing the markups.
    You nailed it. The manufacturers haven't raised their prices that much.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I think everyone should panic and run out and buy every last one of their powders that can be found.
    Yeah, like that's not already happening!

RIP, Clays. It was a great run. Guess I'll go ahead and use that last 1.5 lbs.

Anything with the same burn rate that's anywhere near as clean?

Boolit Master

Clays used to be a favorite cowboy action powder, until Trail Boss turned everybody's head. I've not used either, but did some research when looking for a replacement for 231 and came across Alliant Clay Dot, which was touted as a Clays replacement. Been shooting it in the 45 Colt with 200 grain slugs. It meters nicely in my Redding 10X and is cleaner than 231. I like it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Clays used to be a favorite cowboy action powder, until Trail Boss turned everybody's head. I've not used either, but did some research when looking for a replacement for 231 and came across Alliant Clay Dot, which was touted as a Clays replacement. Been shooting it in the 45 Colt with 200 grain slugs. It meters nicely in my Redding 10X and is cleaner than 231. I like it.
    What's the powder range for the Clay Dot using 200 gr pills in the .45 Colt? I am beginning to get low on W231 which I've been using for years. It would be nice to come across a cleaner burning powder. Thanks.

Boolit Master

I've been using 5 grains Clay Dot under the 200 grain RNFP. Good for all our knock down targets.

That was my favorite powder for .38 special & .45 ACP & .45 LC. Used a lot of kegs Clays RIP old friend. But if you look at the burn rate chart this is only the beginning of a long list of powder that will die on the vine.

Banned

I'll use what little I have left of UC. Then make the full move over Expansion Industries repackaged Spanish powder.
    Even mynwholesale prices are higher than some of the cost per lb posted here.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    I'll use what little I have left of UC. Then make the full move over Expansion Industries repackaged Spanish powder.
    Even mynwholesale prices are higher than some of the cost per lb posted here.
    I and many have had excellent results with the EI ETR7 powder. I use it in all pistol loads I do. Extremely clean. Pretty inexpensive. Readily available. Have used a lot of Clays and ETR7, I believe is, cleaner. Heck, anything is cleaner that Unique or 231.

banger

Moderator Emeritus

Re Unique, I got an email from Midway yesterday evening that they had Unique in 8 lb'ers, and called two buddies to see if they wanted any. One did, and when I went back to the site to order, it was already gone! DANG! That HURT!!!! It's at least encouraging that SOME powders are reappearing. For a while, they were made of unobtainium, it seems, and the NEXT time Unique becomes available, I'll pull the trigger right THEN, and let my buddies fend for themselves. I'm tired of waiting, and like the old buzzard on the limb, "if something doesn't die pretty soon, I'm gonna' go kill something." Good luck guys! It's tough out there!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    Re Unique, I got an email from Midway yesterday evening that they had Unique in 8 lb'ers, and called two buddies to see if they wanted any. One did, and when I went back to the site to order, it was already gone! DANG! That HURT!!!! It's at least encouraging that SOME powders are reappearing. For a while, they were made of unobtainium, it seems, and the NEXT time Unique becomes available, I'll pull the trigger right THEN, and let my buddies fend for themselves. I'm tired of waiting, and like the old buzzard on the limb, "if something doesn't die pretty soon, I'm gonna' go kill something." Good luck guys! It's tough out there!!!
    Try ETR7......you will be amazed and not use Unique ever again!

banger

Boolit Master
    ADI has had an update on their website, stating that they will be still manufacturing the Clays line until early 2016. 2015 is to be a transition year between the old and new lines of powder. Whether you will find any new Clays (AS30N) imported during that time frame to the U.S., is uncertain.

Banned

I have purchased powder over the past two years thinking others would want some of it some did and most didn't Well like Blackwater stated by the time you call you friends the powder is gone!
    It's like people think powder will be back down at $15.00 per pound and 45.00 4 pounders with Promo at $72.00 an 8lb jug.

Then we have the "whistling gophers" who's last powder purchase was a can of Bullseye at $2.95 a can. When you tell them what a pound will cost they roll their eyes , moan and whistle and make you an offer.

Then they drive off looking for a better deal.

We may never see our old favorites again on the LGS shelf. Like in the past it will appear by those who bought up powder expecting to make a fast buck. They will sell at a lower cost than what it was purchased at. It's just a matter of time and the short term business will look to liquidate their stock.

Well, it is now 8 years later. Does any truth remain to this? If this stuff was discontinued 8 years ago, I doubt places would still be taking E-Mail notification orders for it. It would have been long forgotten about.

Clays, Clay Dot and Red Dot are about all I use anymore for .38 and .45 acp/colt handgun ammo. Was using Bullseye but have only been able to trade into some. Can’t find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Clays, Clay Dot and Red Dot are about all I use anymore for .38 and .45 acp/colt handgun ammo. Was using Bullseye but have only been able to trade into some. Can’t find it.
    Have you purchased any lately?

Boolit Grand Master
    International is hard to get according to my buddy in MN who uses it for trap handicap loads.

I sold him 24 lbs a couple of weeks ago and he was ecstatic. He gave more than my asking price and called it a "delivery fee". Glad I sold it to someone who really appreciates it and uses it for competitive shooting. Sold him 64 lbs of Promo as well.

The "delivery fee" was a bunch of BS as we had planned the visit for months.
    Don Verna

As I understand the situation; the company, that is in Canada, stopped making Clays and is focusing on supplying powder to support the Ukrainian conflict.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

what till we start getting china or russian powders LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast