Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Say goodbye forever to Hodgon Clays and international clays.

Boolit Master

Oh no the world as we know it is ending.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I'm still shook up over DuPont dropping good old MR-17 1/2 in favor of those new-fangled IMR powders like 4895 and 4350.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the rebuilding of the powder factory after it burned down in 2012/2013. New construction may have to abide by different environmental rules.

Quote Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
    Hodgedon=IDIOTS! Stop getting rid of perfectly good powders. They screwed us on the IMR powders and now this. My business goes elsewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    That was not the case with 4759, it was a business decision. I have no use for Hodgon.

Why are you blaming Hodgdon?

Hodgdon doesn't manufacture anything. Hodgdon buys powders from various manufacturing companies and sells it to retailers who sell to you.

If the manufacturer decides to stop making a particular powder, how is Hodgdon to blame? They can't buy something that isn't available.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Smoke and mirrors! The type of powder and part #'s mean nothing if they are never available???

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Times, they are a' changin'. First, you start using them fancy brass ca'tridges, then you start putting smokeless powder in em, then you start paintin' and colorin' your boolits, then you start getting rid of some of them smokeless powders you was once so fond of.... what's next? Allowin' girls in the shooting clubs? Tarnation!!!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Oh no the world as we know it is ending.
    Yup. I just heard from Rumor Control that the new powders will all become inert after one year.

Boolit Grand Master
    This is the Doe Run of powder!

Where is Chicken Little when you need him?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

I think everyone should panic and run out and buy every last one of their powders that can be found. Hey, that sounds like a marketing strategy to clear out the remaining stocks.

And I had a favorite lite 7/8 oz 12 gage skeet load using Clays. What will I do, now? Probably just cruise through my manuals and find another similar load after my small remaining hoard of Clays is used up. That might even be fun!
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Buddy

Sucks I use both. Had to stock up on the SR4759 for my Savage. New isn't always better in powder game. Been through it since my child hood and still remember, they hey this new stuff will be better and wasn't. Good or bad/ don't have either locally so no getting in trouble trying to stock up with the house boss.

Boolit Master

Well ****. Guess I will just have to make to with the 25 or so pounds of clays and 11 or 12 pounds of international I have...

Best I can tell, as of late, the newer powders have been good. Real good. BE-86 is a perfect example. Others have been CFE223 and CFE pistol.
    At one with the gun.

plus's and minus's .... the newer powders are quicker,easier,safer and cheaper to make ...however sadly that last only seems to apply to the manufacturers .... as the newer powders i've seen hit the shelfs are higher priced ( anyone else recall when unleaded gas was cheaper at the pump and then slowly eclipsed regular in pricing ? and then again with ethanol blended )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    If the manufacturer decides to stop making a particular powder, how is Hodgdon to blame? They can't buy something that isn't available.
    They do have a bit of pull with ADI, in the past they have had ADI slightly change the burn rate of powders to better suit them.
    End result is usually the original powder being discontinued here in Aus as the sales volume doesn't justify a production run and we get the modified burn rate powder.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been reading up on the new powders in the Hodgdon annuals, interesting stuff.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    I can't help but wonder if the new powdwers will have the same shelf life as the old ones. Really, in the midst of a severe shortage you dump all your proven products and go green. Convince me its not true.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf
    Pick your favorite powder on the comparative RQ table as an alternative:
    * If it doesn't have a comparative RQ from a different vendor ... new load development needed from a burn rate table that is close!
    http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

Or start shooting black powder! Plenty different vendor's grades in the US market and always available
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Just stock up on Bullseye, 4227 and 4895 and you can shoot everthing that needs shooting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    That was not the case with 4759, it was a business decision. I have no use for Hodgon.
    Hmmm, My jug says IMR 4759.

Banned

it could say du-pont 4759 on it they still ain't gonna make it.
    hodgdons carry's the Winchester, imr, and hodgdons line now.
    so one company 3 lines [of mostly the same stuff] that's a big ol hit to the market if something were to happen to their supply line.

bhn22
    The Freedom Group of gun powder. Take Hodgdons out, and Winchester, ADI, and IMR have to re-establish distribution chains.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast