Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 310 tool questions

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    Ok, somewhere along the line the dies got switched with the rod as the die body is stamped CMR SO what we are getting to here is basically you have to have a die set where case mouth expansion is its own die? any die with expanding combined with sizing is no go for the tong tool!?
    The letters "CMR" stand for "combination muzzle resizer" and generally with the 310 tools that "combination" was decapping and what we currently refer to as neck sizing. With the TL Jr sets of dies, the neck expanding was added as a sort of bonus (actually to save having another die.) If you were loading jsacketed rifle bullets, this was fine, but lead bullets like a little more of a bevel to start without shaving. This is the most obvious instance in which the difference between TL Jr and 310 dies made a real difference! I have seen die sets, purportedly for the 310, that had a CMR with a plain, no expander shank, and ones with a"universal" decapper and separate MR (muzzle resizer) die... both seem to work about equally well IMHO. In my experience, the 310 die sets ALWAYS have a separate case mouth expander die, a la the currently available "M" dies.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Man
    Froggie, an excellent explanation of the dies.

When Lyman changed the 310 sets from 5 dies to 4 dies in the early 1960s, we believe, the CMR became a standard componet, and it still is.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

310 -- tru-line - ez loader dies are at best a never ending confusion --
    As other have said --
    I think the CMR without the expander button did and has replaced the MR die -
    The CMR with expander button is intended for the tru-line and ez-loader --

Now the Decap dies --
    I have only seen two variations, both the same length but with different diameter decap/exp rod threads.
    A .395x30 thread with a .280 dia rod and either a 6-48 or 10-36 decap pin nut --
    A more common rod is 10-32 with a 6-48 decap pin nut --
    Also, apparently some 310 sets use the decap body with the .395 thread as the "long"expanding die -
    Replacing the decap rod with a "normal" expanding plug --
    I have a set - originally boxed -- for both 6.5 & 7.7 jap which share these dies --

It will never be all sorted out!!

Boolit Man
    Pavogrande,

There is another decapping rod_ .395X30 thread .205 rod with a 6-48 Decapping pin nut. I have several decapping chambers with this rod.

I also have a Lyman Ammunition Maker set in .44 Special caliber with a decapping chamber marked_ 'EXP-DECAP-CH-LONG'.

We may never figure them out, but it is fun trying.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Do we know how many lengths of 310 tong tool expander bodies there were? I've come across 3 so far
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Grand Master
    Do we know how many lengths of 310 tong tool expander bodies there were? I've come across 3 so far
    Three lengths are all I've ever encountered.

Boolit Master

Order from Lyman. Think the last pins I ordered were $.25 each. Drive you crazy on a lathe due to flex./beagle

Would that decapping pin be something easy to fab on a lathe ?
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I think I've finally got my head wrapped around the difference between the tong tool die sets and the press only sets. Its interesting to note all the differences in how parts were made through the years.

One last question, were the decap dies for the rifle tong tool sets all "universal" type? going through a bunch of dies I have and finding a lot of what I guess I would call a universal decapper although I'm sure that what it was used as before that term was adopted.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master

for OP, and others. I did not see it mentioned, but there are also LARGE frame, meaning they can be used for big bottom cartridges like 50-70, 348 Win, 43 Spanish etc. Essentially anything with a bigger base than 45-70. You will know quickly as your standard 310 dies will drop in the threaded hole. I think it .625" by 30 tpi vs .605" x 30 tpi for the standard. Going from memory there. Should you come across a set of the bigger holes, snap them up as they are not so common and should be very good trading stock.

Boolit Master
    Ascast is right. Such handles are usually marked "S" or "Special." The only one I've seen was the purple steel version.

As far as I've seen, the decapping dies were universal, hollow cylinders with no support for the cartridge. They were either short or long. Some I've seen had thicker decapping stems, but most have the standard thin stem.

Interesting on the larger sizes of handles, about the only thing I would have a need for with those would be my 50-140 and I'm thinking that might be a little TOO long.

I've been working on a information series on the lyman 310 tong tools and in my research I'm still learning more, I've also gone back and reread this thread twice already tonight. Lots of really good information here that would help a guy looking to load with the tong tools get his dies sorted out.

Like I mentioned in the OP I got started with the 310 because I was to be living in a very small apartment, I've since moved again but I'm looking at my 310 set up as a asset now, I loaded a LOT of ammo last year and plan to acquire some more die sets in calibers I rely on most. Having a complete reloading kit that fits in 1 tool box is really handy (no pun intended).
    My firearms project blog

How well does the typical cartridges loaded for automatics work, like 9mm and 45 ACP? I've been kicking around the idea of a 45 ACP set, can use in revolver as well but I know the 9mm is a strange one even for reloading presses from time to time to get right.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Thanks folks for this thread and similar ones ......... I acquired a Truline Jr. press a few years ago ..... learned that the the "compound" version was better and got one of those as well.

Next a search for dies ......... had to be easy? Right?

Not so ......... LOL!

A few dies were gotten from forums and yet I have not tried to work anything up.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago and another forum member and I trundled off to a local flea market type of store that had a big pile of reloading stuff from an estate.

We bought it. What fun!

Now, I find as we dig through the treasures within ......... we find a bunch of 310 dies, tong tool and truline as well!

But alas, instead of the fog clearing ......... it's getting thicker!

I did an inventory run this AM and will post some pics and descriptions but is it too late to "run away"?

Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post

"......is it too late to "run away"?

Three 44s
    Sounds like the hook is set, Three4s....!

Attachment 181911

Boolit Buddy
    How well does the typical cartridges loaded for automatics work, like 9mm and 45 ACP? I've been kicking around the idea of a 45 ACP set, can use in revolver as well but I know the 9mm is a strange one even for reloading presses from time to time to get right.
    I have - and have used - a steel handled 310 set for 9mm Luger, along with the old style Full Length sizing die (the kind used in conjunction with an arbor press, or a hammer/mallet). I can say that no more problems were encountered using the 310 to load this cartridge than when using press-mounted dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Sounds like the hook is set, Three4s....!

Attachment 181911

Oh, I am afraid you are correct!

I was looking over at evilbay and gun broker and see a bunch of parts and pieces as well as sets and tong tools floating around .........

I am probably down the drain on this one! LOL!!

One thing about it ....... as I gather "sticks" together on this (like a bird building a nest) ....... if I ever wake from the trance ......... I can sell it off to some other hapless individual!!

Three 44s

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe not "down the drain," but at least circling it! Oh well, enjoy the ride, Three 44s. We've all taken it before (or are at least destined to if reading this.) Good luck with your latest "nest."

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Hey, paint me foolish for expecting someone around these parts to help talk me out of "something gun"!

I will likely be selling some of it or offering for trades some of them however.

Best regards

Three 44s

Boolit Bub

Cool 9m/m loads

I used the 310 tool for 10+ yrs. t0 re- load ammo for a 9mm pistol, with very good results. reost # 72 question.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are going to reload 9 mm rounds from ANY semi-auto, but especially from say, a Glock, you may run into the need for full length sizing, which the 310 lacks. Lyman used to offer a pound through sizing die, but that's a collector's item now.

Froggie

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast