RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 310 tool questions

Boolit Man
    The steel handles with my .22 Hornet set are also very close to the small size. I have seen several aluminum handled Hornet sets and they have all had small handles.

The adapter die is number 4.

Best regards,

What Cheer
    Fair winds and a fast ship.

Banned

Thanks. Guess I need to read up some more, what is the case adapter? Is it like a shell holder?

Boolit Grand Master

The universal handles have, obviously, a single sized hole in them for the cartridge. The adapter sizes the hole to the appropriate size for the cartridge in question. Thus the same handles can load a 45ACP and a 25ACP.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned

OK, guess there's one more thing I'll have to find.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    OK, guess there's one more thing I'll have to find.
    Isn't there always?
    My firearms project blog

Banned

Well, yeah, but you know, you're gonna spend your time and money on something, might as well be something that interests you.

Boolit Man
    richhodg66,

If you got the .22 Hornet set that was on the WTS board recently, the seller said it had the adapter die.

I have an extra set of small aluminum handles, if you need them send me a PM.

What Cheer

Banned

It is indeed that set of dies and thanks for that information, guess I didn't pay close enough attention to it. Thanks also for the offer of the handles. I'll send you a PM.

This always seems to happen to me, I forgot I put a bid in on a 310 die set and I ended up winning them. I got a very clean set and tong tool from another member here and comparing the two the expander balls are different? I guess this is what catskinner was talking about on page 1? One is also a 5 die set and the other is a 4. So I'm guessing the 5 die set is for the tru-line press? But it seems to me it would work just fine with the tong tool.

One die looks like a taper crimp die? I'll see about pictures later as I'm still a little confused on why the variations in dies and cleaning up the office space right now.
    My firearms project blog

1st pic, left plug is from 4 die set, right is from the 5 die set
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04492.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	143055
    2nd picture, left die is from 4 die set, right is from 5 die. The left die sizes and decaps? I guess combining what in the 5 die set would be the right die and the die pictured in the last picture?

Name:	DSC04493.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	143056

Name:	DSC04495.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	143057
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Man
    The original die sets for the 310 tool were 5 die sets. Sometime in the early to mid 1960s Lyman changed to a 4 die set for the 310 tools. The 5 die sets have a decapping chamber (die), and a muzzle resizer chamber (die). In the 4 die sets these two functions, decapping and muzzle resizing, are performed by a single chamber, the combination muzzle resizer,CMR.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

What Cheer

Boolit Buddy
    The expander ball I mentioned in the TL jr set is in the decapping and neck sizing die.

Thanks for the information, looks like the 4 die set is the one to retain, the expander ball looks a little better designed as well but only use and time will tell I guess.
    My firearms project blog

Quote Originally Posted by catskinner View Post
    The expander ball I mentioned in the TL jr set is in the decapping and neck sizing die.
    So you're talking about the ball that uniforms a rifle case neck not a flare type ball/setup

I wonder what the reason behind the design change between my tool flare die's are
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    wonderwolf, Looking at the pictures in post#30 neither die has the expander I was warning you about. Expander ball I'm talking about works like the one in a 7/8x14 sizing die for bottle neck cases. Hope I'm making this clear and understandable.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    ...I wonder what the reason behind the design change between my tool flare die's are
    Wonderwolf, there are more than two designs I think. I seem to remember CharGar showing pictures of three or four differing expander plugs for the same diameter.

As long as they work, it doesn't really matter....

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Wonderwolf, there are more than two designs I think. I seem to remember CharGar showing pictures of three or four differing expander plugs for the same diameter.

As long as they work, it doesn't really matter....

Robert
    The one catskinner mentions for the TL Jr will not work for the 310 tool. It is used with bottle neck cases and expands the neck on the upstroke as you pull the case out of the die. The 310 doesn't have the leverage to accomplish this. In addition, some of the expander plugs can't be adjusted high enough in the 310 or low enough in the TL Jr to hit the right region of the case, so they definitely don't

Froggiework.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    Froggie,

I was referring to the expanders shown in wonderwolf's top picture. The one with a wasp waist and one that looks like an M die expander.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Gotcha, Mk42gunner. Now I'm on the same page with you. It seems like there have been a number of variations on those one piece expander plugs over the 100+ years they have been made, then the expander balls that were used on the decapping stem seem to complicate the picture even more. These latter interchangeable expander balls are the ones that I was worried about having someone mistakenly use with a tong tool, causing all manner of difficulty. Another concern (just to add to the confusion) is getting the right length expanding plug and die body for the shortest (or for that matter, longest) cases.

Best regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Do you have a picture of the expander plug that should NOT be used with the 310 tong handles? I imagine if this is a issue now a picture would greatly help somebody in the future avoid or understand their problem.
    My firearms project blog

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast