Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Arms - Barrel Length, Grip, and Trigger, Sights

Banned

If rubber scrunges your hand you do not hold it proper. It should NOT slip.
    It takes much more to hold a slippery grip to prevent "roll". Roll is the enemy of consistent groups. You just increase vertical dispersion and stringing.
    Fingers do not have muscles, they are controlled by your forearm with tendons and the arm needs strength to control barrel rise so the tighter the gun is held, the more tension is on the arm to control rise. Your elbow is the pivot point. NOT the grip in your hand.

Boolit Master
    I had a 6" 83 .454 with the extra .45 Colt cylinder...unless you are a .45 Colt shooter don't bother...just load .454 brass down to whatever level you like. As to getting a .45 ACP cylinder, if you have a lot of brass and you like shooting it from a SA revolver it isn't a bad purchase.

As to my gun, I ran .454s with 250+- grain bullets at 1600 fps...quite mild for a .454...and it began to injure my right wrist and elbow. After some conversations with John Taffin about what big bore shooting has done "to" him vs. for him I decided that I wasn't a .45 guy and got the exact same gun in .41 Magnum...have lived happily ever after.

Before I sold the gun however a friend who has two 4 3/4" .454s that he let me try them. If it wasn't for the fact that my black Micarta grips would not fit on his gun we would have traded... I really like the 83 with a short barrel and in handling their guns at the SHOT Show also like the round butt. If I ever come across a .41 with a short barrel I will buy it...

Sight wise I've tried the Express rear with both FO and gold bead front and as others have reported while fast it is hard for fine shooting. The standard front serrated blade is no joy either...it grays out in sunlight. I had David Clements make a long range front sight with two gold holdover bars and it gives an excellent sight picture. When hunting however I prefer a green FO with the standard notch rear.

Two years ago bought a 6" .475 with Mag-Na-Port barrel but even at 1100 fps bullets from 330-420 grains were just unpleasant to shoot...so it went to a new home also.

If you don't want to wait 18 months to get a gun look on GunBroker and GunsInternation...there are several dealers that put new guns up for sale all the time and lots of used ones in LN condition. There are several 4 3/4" .454s on GunBroker right now...

Good luck on your quest...

Bob

Boolit Master
    RJM52, the .8" group in the above pic from me was with 440 gr. LBT's at 1,340 fps from the 4-3/4" barrel. You are right, it takes a lot of concentration to shoot one of these. I'd like to meet anyone who would shoot mine and claim it was pleasant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    RJM52, the .8" group in the above pic from me was with 440 gr. LBT's at 1,340 fps from the 4-3/4" barrel. You are right, it takes a lot of concentration to shoot one of these. I'd like to meet anyone who would shoot mine and claim it was pleasant.
    How about ME? I wish we lived closer.

Boolit Master
    I have a 6" Premier Grade with the hardwood grips, and after owning 4 3/4" pistols, have found I like 5 1/2" to 6" much better, a little less muzzle blast, and much more accurate for me. These days I launch mostly 340gr WFNPB bullets from an LBT mold at 900 to 1350 FPS and it never fails to amaze me how accurate this 5 shooter is, I have turned in groups less than an inch (one big hole) for 5 shots at 50 yards with this bullet, and generally have no trouble hitting basketball sized rocks at 180 yards, have even rang the dinger on 4 out of 5 shots at 250 yards at the local range, took a cylinder to figure out the hold over, but once I had it, I left some jaws hanging open, good thing it's so dry and dusty here. I much prefer the hardwood grips, hate the rubber ones, have to grip them too tightly, and they are too big. Of all the different styles of grip frames I have shot, I feel the FA is the best for accuracy and for handling recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    How about ME? I wish we lived closer.
    I know you would shoot it Jim Like it? probably not.. It's probably 2 pounds lighter than yours, much shorter, and has those slippery hardwood grips you hate. I go to Virginia a couple time a year, I've thought about stopping by.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I know you would shoot it Jim Like it? probably not.. It's probably 2 pounds lighter than yours, much shorter, and has those slippery hardwood grips you hate. I go to Virginia a couple time a year, I've thought about stopping by.
    You would be more then welcome.

Boolit Mold
    I'm bidding on the second one on your list wish me luck

Boolit Mold
    might have overpaid a tiny bit, but just over 1400 seemed reasonable to me - I'll post pics when I get it in

Boolit Master
    ...great!!! Glad to have been of help.... With those upgraded grips it was well worth the money...

Bob

I have a 7 1/2" Field Grade .454 M83.
    The Field grade comes with the rubber stocks, the only ones I have on a single-action.
    I load the Hornady 240gr. XPT-Mag and H-110 for deer hunting.
    By the time you add a scope, with rubber stocks, and shooting a relatively light bullet, recoil is not nearly what I expected.
    Raisin River Ron
    SASS Gamer Gunfighter
    NRA life member #11299435
    SASS #49617
    Wolverine Ranger #490
    bold #451
    Monroe Rifle & Pistol Club
    and Sheepdog at heart

Boolit Master
    For whatever reason FAs dropped the Pachmayer made rubber grips on the Field Grade guns several years ago... From what I have read they are now hard to find...

Bob

If you want the Pachmayer grips, go to the specials section of Lymans website then go to the Spring Cleaning/Discontinued. They have FA Pachmayer grips for under $20.00 on closeout.

Boolit Master
    I just have to chime in here and I know you will all savage me but heck, here goes. If you want a 45 ACP in a 4.x barrel, get a 1911. If you want a Freedom Arms 454 Casull, get one with a 7" barrel. "That's all I have to say 'bout that."

Boolit Buddy
    Love my 45acp FA. I also shoot 45lc, 45 win mag and 454 in same guns. ( along with 357/22lr/22wmr in other guns). Mine are all silhouette types, so a bit longer in barrels 7.5-9.5". I do like these pistols, good luck with your search

Banned

I love longer barrels. Those are some nice guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank u, not up to your level of target shooting yet but I read everything u post in hopes to learn!

Boolit Mold
    Got a conjugal visit while its in jail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Field 83.jpg  

Banned

There has never been a more beautiful gun ever made then a SA but I profess to loving a 1911 too. Yet a SA is always first.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast