Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Dedicated 30/40 Krag Bullet

Dedicated 30/40 Krag Bullet

I'm not sure how popular a bullet made for just the Krag will be but, here it is.

The end of the case neck, will be approx. in the middle of the first parallel band, behind the tapered first band.

When loaded to a 3.07 COAL, the tapered band should be against the leade and the base of the GC at the neck/shoulder juction. The tapered band matches the leade angle and there is a little COAL left for warn throats.

The diameter is .311 with WW and will cast about .3122 in lino, the prefered alloy for higher velocity target work. For those that like larger bullets for the Krag, maybe a optional .313 version, that will cast .3142 in lino.

This is also posted in the discussion section on the NOE site.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELCO_.311_X_Krag_217_gr_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	134443
    Last edited by frnkeore; 03-19-2015 at 12:18 PM.

A couple of comments;

1. I have never found any bullet, no matter the weight that when seated for the bullet to kiss the lands would feed through a Krag magazine. You just may end up with a single shot bullet.

2. Krag rifles have very large throats and .313 is the smallest number and some rifles may need .314 or even .315.

3. Linotype for high velocity target loads? Really?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    A couple of comments;

1. I have never found any bullet, no matter the weight that when seated for the bullet to kiss the lands would feed through a Krag magazine. You just may end up with a single shot bullet.

2. Krag rifles have very large throats and .313 is the smallest number and some rifles may need .314 or even .315.

3. Linotype for high velocity target loads? Really?
    1. & 2. If the chamber drawing for the Krag are to be believed. This bullet will fit, .022 under the COAL. If the throats are warn, they can be filled with a large version, such as Al is doing with the Eagan bullet and you still have that extra .020 to increase COAL. Even if the bullet hgas to "jump" a little, the tapered band will still help align it, better than any other design has done.

3. Lino type hold almost all of the CBA records, if something else shot better they would be using it. On the 7th of this month, I shot in a CBA match. Mel Harris, shot his 13th national record (5 shots, .184) using lino. Most CBA records are shot at between 1800 - 2100 fps. Right in the Krag terratory. I don't know what else to say.

Frank

For those that want larger bullets, I didn't make it clear in my first post. It could be done in 3 sizes, .311, .313 and .315 in WW. Add .0012 to those if you use Lino.

Frank

Hmm, might be interested, but it would be later. Too much of my check going to Al now!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson