View Poll Results: Which caliber 1873?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 357 Magnum

64 44.44%
  • 45 Colt

80 55.56%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which cartridge in 1873 and why?

It depends. If only used for general shooting, I'll take the 357. If I'm going to hunt deer or hog, I'll go with the 45 as I trust it to get the job done. I used to have a Marlin 357, but sold it when I finally admitted to myself that I would never carry it hunting.

Boolit Master
    Uberti 1873 .44 Magnum and worry not in the least as to whether or not it can stand the pressure of the cartridge. If it couldn't they wouldn't produce it.
    How about all them semi-auto rifles that were built in 17HMR......then they found it hadtoo much pressure and bolt thrust......Just say'n!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

Savage is jumping into the semi-auto game http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...-17-hmr-rifle/

Volquartsen & Alexander Arms never stopped. Magnum Research stopped due to slam fires from dirty chambers. I have a Mach II and I would love to find a 17 HMR.

Back to the 44's in a 1873. US firearm manufactures do not have to have their products proofed by a proof house. The Italian guns do so you have some checks and balances. That being said I do not exceed Colt 1873 loads in mine.

Boolit Master
    Neither cartridge you proposed for use. A cartridge the rifle was originally designed to use. That's the ambiance that comes with the ownership of a 140 year old rifle design.

Boolit Master

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Ended up with a 357 and love it. Wouldn’t mind a 45 colt too now that I’ve played with this one a bit.
    I’m shooting 98% 38 special target loads through it but like the idea of the 357 if I ever wanted to hunt with it.
    Lucky thing my wife fell in love with the design and wants one of her own. Perfect reason to get a colt.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the 73 ain't set up for those kinds of pressures, the toggle link it uses to hold the bolt closed won't hold up. I'd go with the 45 colt in this situation, but would pick the 44-40 myself.
    The .44-40 is what the 1893 Winchester was designed around and is still a great cartridge with either smokeless or black.

Dance with the girl you brought, .44-40 rocks...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    those who think the toggle link is weak better go look at the luger and maxim machine gun. it was the steel that hurt the design .

I never did like the .45 colt in a leaver gun so I would have to go with the .357.

I have a Rossi 92 in .357 it is a great rifle. also have real Winchesters in .44-40 .38-40 and .32-20. they all work like they should

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post

Another real down side to these cartridges that rarely gets mentioned is they must be lubed prior to sizing, just like any other bottleneck case. Due to the volume of shooting I do, that alone is a deal breaker for me.

35W
    I read this often its not true i never lube my 44 40 dies they are not carbide and cases size real easy. My 357 sizer is too sticky to use without lube so i would say the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    I read this often its not true i never lube my 44 40 dies they are not carbide and cases size real easy. My 357 sizer is too sticky to use without lube so i would say the opposite
    Since my original post of over 2 1/2 years ago, I've purchased a '66 Uberti in 44-40, three Colt 1st Generation SA's in 38-40 ( 2 ea. circa 1903, 1 ea. 1905) and three 1873 Winchesters in 38-40 (1 ea. 1886 and 2 ea. 1890). Love all of them and have now cast bullets for, reloaded and fired lots and lots of these two cartridges, especially the 38-40. When I size these cases I smear every 3rd or 4th case with a little Unique case lube. I could probably get by with no lube, but see no need in stressing the brass.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    if i had to choose one of those it would be 45 colt but the correct cartridge is 44-40 just joking for cowboy action by far around here its the 38/357 easy and quick follow ups on steel

Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    I found this also with loading for my original '73 in .38-40. I had forgotten to lube the cases one time after I started loading for it, but found they came out just the same without the lube.

I don't know if it's the thin wall of the cartridges, or a tight chamber fire forming them, but I no longer bother lubing them at all and have never had a stuck case, or even close to one.

They require less pressure to load than .357 with carbide dies.

To answer your question as posed- 45 Colt because my friend had a Uberti .45 LC 73 and it was flawless. BUT- I wholeheartedly agree with run5run and nobade on the WCF cartridges and would extend that thinking to the 1892 as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I do not do the Cowboy shoots. We are primarily hunters.
    With a round ball I can load our 45 Colt lever rifles (3) to pop wabbits and tree rats or whatever offending can needs exterminating. Super small game load ! Our a light wad cutter will do the same. 800 fps is all a bunny needs out to 50 yards.
    But with 45 Colt we can go with a 300 grain FNGC for any critter this side our world and not have to fear we are for sure going to get eating. A 300 grainer at 1750+fps is one potent chunk of lead. Add 5+ more on target and the target is going to be hard pressed to last very long.
    WE have a couple 357's. OK for small game or corn crunchers up close with 200 FNGC. But no way would I consider big pigs or large game critters that weight more than our 2 wheelers. The 45 Colt with the right shaped heavy slug is going to get the job done.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Already had a pair of vaquero's in 45 Colt and my 94 trapper only held 9 rounds. I needed something that held 10 rounds for cowboy shooting. Stopping to load the tenth round on stage really whacked my time. Found a used 73 in 45 Colt in new condition CHEAP.

The 44/40 's have it. Go w that
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Master

Given the choices, I chose the 357. That being said, I shoot a 73 in 44-40 for cowboy action shooting!

Boolit Master
    .45 hands down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by prsman23 View Post

44-40 of course!
    1873 made in 1883
    The 44-40 is the only 1 ..........If you have the other ones go with the and I hate to say it but the .45Colt

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

I voted 45 colt, but i'd probably go 357. I originally was thinking 45 colt was a cartridge of the same vintage as the rifle design. Really, I think that the versatility of the 357 really sets well with the original 73 design. If I had to strike out homesteading with just one rifle, the 357 would be the best choice for an all around cartridge.

If I ever come up with the money, I believe i'll get me another marlin 1894c. I've owned 3 or 4. The first few I traded off when I was trying to figure out what I liked. That last I lost in a house fire. We cant use centerfire for squirrel or rabbit here, but deer or varmint critters are fine. Sure loads cheap too.

My take is: that the '73 was not offered in a .45 Colt by Winchester because Colt threatened to produce a rifle to compete with Winchester's offering, a "corporate" decision. The "balloon head" explanation makes more sense, but I would point out that 1870's brass metallurgy design made many cartridges, ie. .44WCF, 38/40, etc. pretty "weak" and they had design flaws. Starline, Winchester, and Remington, today, makes much better cases in all of them; additionally, today's replica 1873's are made of much stronger steels. I chose the .45 Colt in the '73 and load it to .44 Mag "Pistol" load velocity (not pressure) because it is more powerful than either of the original cartridges (38/40 or .44WCF) without "stressing" the toggle link action and is a "near perfect" fit for the 7 to 8 pound '73. The .45 Colt is easy to load; has "scads" of cast molds available; and is very accurate in the Uberti made firearms. I am not a "Cowboy shooter" and believe the .45 Colt is an upgrade over the original loading in diameter and velocity, just like the .357 is an upgrade over the .38 Spl. In the .357, I chose the '92 over the Marlin 1894 and 1873 due to size, weight, and strength over either of these designs. My .02.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast