RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62X40 Load Data

Boolit Buddy

7.62X40 Load Data

Having a 16" barrel installed at Wilson Combat. I have found limited data. going to start with powders I have available, AA2230,IMR4227. Anyone has any data I would be interested in your results. Thanks, CR

Boolit Master

The new zillion blue press catalog just got here there is a full length article.on that caliber along with load data.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks nagantguy, I read the article from last month and this month, but was hoping to get a little more info than Mark and Tim had available. CR

Boolit Master

Guess you figured out I ment dillion not zillion blue press, that's the only thing I had to offer, until the catalog came in the mail I'd never heard of the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Rider View Post
    Having a 16" barrel installed at Wilson Combat. I have found limited data. going to start with powders I have available, AA2230,IMR4227. Anyone has any data I would be interested in your results. Thanks, CR
    I assume you got the data off of Wilson's web site, that's about all there is of data that has been pressure tested. I have some other data from other sources; but the usual disclaimers apply and if you are interested let me know.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy
    I have been shooting the 7.62x40wt for the last three years. It's a wonderful cartridge. You don't say whether you are using an AR-15 or a bolt gun. The important thing in the AR will be the gas port location. I've never been able to get my mid-gassed 16" barrel to run on anything faster than 1680.

I've used 147 gr M80 pulls and C312-155-2R with great success. For powders 1680 of course, 4198, and I have an 8#'r of Reloader 7 to get into soon. My only regret is that I don't get my version to the range enough.

This is the birth place of the cartridge:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/...on_Thread.html

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Patricklaw; 03-21-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricklaw View Post
    I have been shooting the 7.62x40wt for the last three years. It's a wonderful cartridge. You don't say whether you are using an AR-15 or a bolt gun. The important thing in the AR will be the gas port location. I've never been able to get my mid-gassed 16" barrel to run on anything faster than 1680.

[I]I have the same issue with my 20" barrel, but 1680 works very well...if one can find it![/I]

I've used 147 gr M80 pulls and C312-155-2R with great success.
    For powders 1680 of course, 4198, and I have an 8#'r of Reloader 7 to get into soon. My only regret is that I don't get my version to the range enough.

My exact experience also, but the 155 gr Sierra Palmas shoot much better.

This is the birth place of the cartridge:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/...on_Thread.html

Enjoy!
    That's where I ran across it first and even have a few posts there; however be warned there are 65 pages to wade through to find a few tidbits.
    Last edited by LynC2; 03-21-2015 at 09:20 AM.

Looks like I'll have something to do on my next trip, read the 65 pages. I just put together an 18" barreled 7.62x40wt and have a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I should have gone with a 20......

May have to change my trimming system as I currently use the Lee Quick - trim and they don't have a trim die even though they make the reloading die set.......

Boolit Buddy

LynC2, I'll PM you with my email. I'd appreciate the data. Patricklaw, It's an AR, now I've got to decide if I want WT to put a 16" or 20" barrel on it. By the way Patricklaw, I've never met you, probably never will, but I don't like you.LOL I'm from Oklahoma and have lived in E. Tn for 23 years,but think your area is some of the most beautiful country in the U.S.A. Used to go through there delivering yachts to the Pacific Northwest on a regular basis.I'm envious! CR

Boolit Master
    I wonder what all else I never heard of! This post was the first I heard of this and I am excited. I have a 300 BO in bolt action and I often wondered why they lost as much capacity as they did when making the brass from 223's. This makes total sence, all i need is a chamber reamer and presto I can match or improve on 30-30 ballistics for 110-130 grain bullets. This makes that Barnes 110 grain bullet really looking good for my bolt. I got that 110 gr barnes for my 30-30 sav340 but it must be seated too deep however in this 7.62x40 and my savage 110 savage action no problem.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    In case anyone is interested, Wilson is running a sale on die sets for the 7.62x40WT. It is a neat cartridge and works very well for cast too!

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Reloadin.../products/470/

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've been mulling over the purchase of an upper for the 300 Blackout. Think I'll wait just a bit.....I like what I see so far.

Boolit Master

I kinda wish it were as popular as .300blk. It seems far superior on paper. I wonder if you could use .300blk data as a reference. I use Lil Gun and H110 for the .300blk supersonics with my Lee 312-155's.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    Okay Circuit Rider, I have so many friends and it's rare when someone takes an instant dislike to me. I often hear from long distance friends about how much they admire the beauty of my state. Until recently, I've always been partial to the beauty of the northern portion of Idaho but I've now come to love the southern part. In that I have two gun ranges within 30 minutes of the house you'd think I'd get out more. Don't hate me for living here. Come see me and we'll go shoot.

So, back to the 7.62x40. When I bought it I thought it was going to eclipse the the 300BO. I suppose that sounds like the guy saying Beta is better than VHS. The 300BO got SAAMI Spec'ed and ammo became widely available and the rest is history. If you're not into building your own AND cutting and forming cases, the 7.62x40 is not for you, choose the 300BO. If you want a can, the 300BO is the better choice. The 7.62x40, with 5mm more case length really cuts down the space for the large subsonic bullets that the Subsonic 300bo's use with a can. In addition the 300BO twist rate of 1:7-8 will generally stabilize the large bullets better than the 1:10-12 of the 7.62x40. The flip side is that the slower twist of the 7.62x40 is generally more favorable to cast bullets. The 5mm additional cartridge length gives enough more powder space to provide 150-300 FPS more velocity than the 300BO. I've heard it said that 300BO max loads are a good starting load for the 7.62x40. My experience says it's true but only as to powders 1680 and slower. If you have a mid-length gas port, you'll be learning about pressure curves. Anything faster than 1680 and the powder burns so fast that there is too little pressure left to run the action by the time the bullet passes the port.

You can get a reamer at Pacific Tool and Guage and ream your 300BO to 7.62x40. Kurt, the cartridge designer addressed this issue on the current page of the ARF.com thread above. The 300BO body is a couple thou too large so it depends upon your comfort level. I'm told that the faster twist is fine and since you'll be loading your own anyway, you can craft your rounds accordingly.

There is a lot of data on the thread. Wilson posted data when the began to produce the cartrige and then had someone, Barnes I think, pressure test the posted data. Subsequently, they tempered their numbers a bit. I'll include a few of my loads but all the usual disclaimers apply i.e. safe in my gun when I did it. use at your own risk. ladder up, wear eye protection, drink your milk. yadda, yadda.

24.5 gr behind 147 gr M80 pulls 2348 fps these flattened magnum primers pretty well. (I've since backed down about a grain to 23.5)
    25.5 gr behind 125 gr soft point flt base 2471fps these were for hunting but I haven't made it out and now have some Nosler 125's that I'll ladder up next. What can I say, I like the green tips.
    23.7gr behind C312-155-2r. I can't find where I chrono'd them. I coated these and treated them mostly like jacked but the bow rider bullet is a little tight in my barrel's throat. Coated (PC'd) bullets tend to jam into the rifling keeping the bolt from locking into battery. Even with uncoated, you have to be pretty careful about overall length. 2.150 was my magic number. Make some dummy rounds and play with your rifle until you get it right.

22 gr behind 147 gr M80 pulls 2157 fps I actually loaded a bit higher but this is the last one I chrono'd.
    20.5 gr behind 165 gr Missouri White tail 1860 fps. They shot alright but my feed ramps don't like them so cycling was poor.

21.9 gr behind 110gr (30 carbine bullet) 2450 fps. This shot fine but it wouldn't cycle.

Again, I'm not responsible if you blow up your gun. Be smart and use good loading practices like reducing your starting load by at least 10%.

Have fun.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for the reply Patrick, I'm going to take it slow and learn safely. CR

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Circuit Rider View Post
    Thanks for the reply Patrick, I'm going to take it slow and learn safely. CR
    Didn't mean to sound condescending. I think the warnings are cute and we're all soooo vigilant about giving them and protecting each other.

That said, I'm still waiting to hear about someone getting sued over reloads.

Boolit Buddy
    I might be thinking of this too simply but could a guy just use data from the Blackout with the slower powders to start & work up until you started seeing signs of pressure or reliable functioning? With an extra 5mm of case a max blackout load should be safe, correct?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
    I might be thinking of this too simply but could a guy just use data from the Blackout with the slower powders to start & work up until you started seeing signs of pressure or reliable functioning? With an extra 5mm of case a max blackout load should be safe, correct?
    It sure looks that way though not owning a 300 BO I've never tried it.

Boolit Buddy

Patricklaw, No offense taken at all. I am an amateur at this, and an old coot to boot. So it's slow and easy! CR

Boolit Buddy

Got my upper from Wilson, looks good. I started with AA 2230, 20 gr, Sierra 125 Pro Hunter, CCI450, LC brass, 2.140 COAL. Loaded 2 rds in a Lancer mag. Didn't eject cleanly. Worked up to 21 gr and now ejects cleanly but doesn't pick up next rd. At 20 grains the Chrony read just under 1400, 21 gr just under 1500. Going to work up 1/2 gr at a time and watch closely. Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated. CR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast